Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Virtual Stories

Virtual Stories A magic place of fable and fantasy where all can enjoy the mythical adventures.

Old Copyright guidelines (UPDATED)

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:47 AM
The Kitty Admin
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Summer Party Participant's Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award 
Total Awards: 22

My Mood: Reading
Tepcat has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundTepcat has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundTepcat has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundTepcat has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Copyright guidelines (UPDATED)

If I give you a pfennig, you will be one pfennig richer and I'll be one pfennig poorer. But if I give you an idea, you will have a new idea, but I shall still have it, too. Albert Einstein

This quote illustrates the problem we are having within the story and RPG forums regarding the issue of copyright. An idea is an unusual thing in that it has a life of its own. It may inspire others to write SIMILAR things. Even if the story or RP starts out the same, the individual author has led a different life and will change the outcome of the story. There is very little originality in the world. It should be taken as a compliment that they felt your story was good enough to copy.

There are two exceptions to the above; putting a published novel onto the forum and doing a direct copy/paste of another story. The author depends on the sale of novels in order to pay the bills while writing more. Typing that into the forum deprives them of the sale, but mentioning the book and giving a small excerpt (a paragraph) is okay since it can get others interested in buying the book for themselves. A direct copy/paste of someone else’s story is considered to be trolling the author. Changing the name(s) is not considered enough of a variation to deter punishment.

That being said, the idea of the story can be used by others if they include variations to make it their own. Even if someone else has some of the same elements that you do, it does not mean they have copied your story. If at any time you feel your story has been copied with intent to cause harm, then PM the story mod (DeputyRR) and a determination will be make. That ruling is final.

One final note about copyright: everything posted on this forum is the property of the owner of this forum. Since that is true, only the owner can make a valid claim for copyright infringement.

NOTE: Claiming a copyright is now considered to be trolling. Anyone who does this will be in violation of the site guidelines.

Last edited by DeputyRR; 01-03-2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 08-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Unicorn Waffle Elderly
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Participant's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award 
Total Awards: 14

My Mood: Cheesy
lucky33325 is floating through Inner Space
thank you SO much for posting this... ive been hearing alot of copying in some stories...

Last edited by TooHip; 08-25-2008 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: naming names
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Amen! Though I haven't participated in either of those, I was getting pretty tired of hearing all of the complaining. Thank you very much for putting your foot down on this issue.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:18 PM
#1 fan of Xigbar ^.^
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 3

xigbar is spinning in a Cursed Storm
AH THANK YOU. Although, I don't even know how to do those things people copyright ^_^'''
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Oh, okay, yes, this will help ^-^ Thanks fer posting this.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Star Wars rocks!!
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: Pwness
IceManFan is as Frosty as a Snowman
Thanks for saying this Tepcat

Roxas Rocks!