Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Site Content > Site Feedback > Site Updates/Changes

Site Updates/Changes Information from the admins about changes to VMKF's site and content.

Old VMKF Temporary Site Closure/Gallery Changes

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Gotta go...
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award 
Total Awards: 20

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMKFy
TooHip has Levitated to new heights!TooHip has Levitated to new heights!TooHip has Levitated to new heights!TooHip has Levitated to new heights!TooHip has Levitated to new heights!TooHip has Levitated to new heights!
VMKF Temporary Site Closure/Gallery Changes

Many of you no doubt noticed that VMKForums was closed all day February 22nd. We felt it was necessary for all of us to step back and think about what VMKF is and what it means to be able to use this site. Most notably, that we are all guests here. As guests, we are expected to adhere to the rules and ideals of the site owner and administration.

Recently there were several posts saying that the rules are too strict, the site is dying, or that the staff is unfair. Most of which seem to be backlash to changes in filtered image hosting sites. We want you to know that as staff, we understand your frustration from these changes. It is never an easy decision to block a popular hosting site, particularly as the choices for approved sites narrows. We understand the impact it has. However, the need to filter these sites is clear and the rules that make it so have been long-standing. For the most part, the rules on VMKF have not changed since its inception and we dont believe there is cause to change them now.

Perhaps what has changed since the site opened is our users expectations. This site was founded on the idea of VMK fans coming together to share their discoveries, ideas, and enthusiasm for the game; to form a community that extended beyond the bounds of the game itself. To that end, VMKF has been wildly sucessful. But with VMK's closure, the purpose for VMKF comes into question. Naturally, there was discussion on how long the site would remain open after the game ended. Ideally, we want to stay open for as long as there are fans of the game that want to remain a community. But when the users question the very existence of the site for its rules, it gives us pause. Ultimately the purpose of the site remains unchanged, yet with less to discuss it seems there is a need for change. The truth is, as sad as it may seem, the natural progression for this site will be one of diminishing activity.

Going forward we expect everyone to respect the forums rules, the moderation staff, and the decisions made by the administration. We are open to hearing concerns and suggestions but we will not tolerate flaming, name calling, or general bashing of the site and its staff. It is counterproductive and rude to those that devote hours upon hours contributing to this site, staff and users alike.

Also, to make our own photo hosting (Gallery) more user friendly, we have removed the need to have a moderator approve photos for unmoderated users. We are doing this on a trial basis. We will continue to check all images uploaded just as before, only now you wont have to wait for approval to use them. If you find you your image is missing, it most likely was removed by a moderator. If we find too many bad images in the gallery, we will revoke this privilege.

We thank all of you for your consideration and continued participation here.

Last edited by TooHip; 02-23-2009 at 08:55 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
sugarlandconcert♥
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Halloween '09 Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Creative
taylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their headtaylorswiftfan13 has Fireworks shooting off over their head
I think that some people deserved that you closed the site yesterday.
There was tons of complaining and I was getting sick of it too.
Thanks so much for making the compromise about the gallery!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
♥>>DEFYING.gravityy<<♥
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Mod Match Participant 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Princess
FabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their headFabMariah has Fireworks shooting off over their head
Thank you so much! I heart the gallery's new rule... it will make it so much easier to upload now- thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: AFK
Vivi is Buried in TreasureVivi is Buried in Treasure
thank you for the closure of yesterday. I didn't even know about it until I came home from a trip. I have to say that I was one of the people complaining about youshare, but now I feel regret and plan to start living here by the rules once more. Thank you for the lovely compromise of the gallery.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
•Dancing through life•
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award Halloween '08 Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Regal
Kitri has disabled reputation
I can't even begin to tell you how much that closure affected me. I never realized how much of a blessing VMKF is until yesterday.

Clickie
Thank you SoccerRyan and Pisces for being my math tutors!
Old 02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Gone - Where I Am.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Adventurous
ElephantEthan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
VMKF needed the closure and the people in fact who complained and argued deserved it.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Heinous Hare
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Patriot 2011 Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Halloween'10 Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 15

Evil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expiredEvil Kid Bugs ’s single use Teleportation has expired
Once upon a time there were three bears the Poppa Bear said "My porridge is too hot" the Baby Bear said "MY porridge is too hot" the Momma Bear said "All you jerks do is complain! I Quit!"
Old 02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Gone - Where I Am.
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Adventurous
ElephantEthan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Kid Bugs View Post
Once upon a time there were three bears the Poppa Bear said "My porridge is too hot" the Baby Bear said "MY porridge is too hot" the Momma Bear said "All you jerks do is complain! I Quit!"
LOL I could so imagine that happening
Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
As a daily user of this site since August 2005, it was a MASSIVE shock yesterday to see the message from Batleth telling us the site was closed. I suppose it takes something like that to make you realise how much the site means to you, and that with the push of a button and a nice little message, the site would be in-accessible.

My first thought yesterday was.. "omg! what about my posts!" I'd really love to go through all my posts again and look / save my favorite ones. It would take something like the site closure to do that though.

While there may be things on the site people don't agree with, it is best to give constructive feedback, tell the staff your thoughts and ideas politely, or give suggestions on how to make the site grow further. It is not good to run off ranting about something when you don't know / realise exactly the thought and preperation that went into that change.

Here is my personal thank you to all the staff of the site, whom we really couldn't do without.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Official Disney Princess!
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 3

Born In Park
My Mood: Disney
DisneyDesi is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Omg! I am so glad it is back up today! I am not over reacting but I teared up yesterday. I thought it closed down like VMK. And so I went to my mom and said "Everythings closing!"

Credit goes to Friez! Iloveit Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Bizzlebits Haha
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
Baconbits is floating through Inner Space
I truthfully though it was done just like vmk. closed to further notice can be a very very long time.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Heyyy?
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
MyBirdHat is as Frosty as a Snowman
People deserved it, and i don't go on these forums much anymore because of those people. And by those people i mean the people who constantly bash me, sorry but, you know who you are. I hope this taught people a lesson on what a blessing this forum is.
haaaapppyy new yearr:]
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Trivia Addict
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Trivia Winner Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 16

VIP
My Mood: Creative
bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!bluedudeman has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
At first I thought the closing would make a few members leave for good. With the thought process of "oh, they're really mad at us let's go bash another forum" or "it's probably never coming back" or someone just forgetting about it, because I thought the closure would be for around a week.

In my opinion, I think it would have been a lot better if only the people complaining were shut out of the site, but I know that's probably not possible. I was a little angry at how these people ruin it for everyone, including me. If it was closed forever because of that I would be enraged because I don't think I've been too bad and for those people to ruin it.

I mean like.. I really enjoy this site, and I want it to stay open for awhile. I just don't want it to close because of some people who are ranting on length of signature and how rules are too strict. Silly fights when we should just be one big family.

If you argue on this site about the rules and stuff or say you're leaving because the sites dying, and this makes the staff close it. YOU are the cause. YOU let everyone else down.

If this makes sense, yeah.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
blehh♥♥
Awards Showcase
Halloween'10 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Participation's Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Winner 
Total Awards: 12

My Mood: Baffled
xoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confettixoop is covered with Confetti
Thank you, TooHip and the rest of the VMKF staff! =) I've been sort of waiting for a mod's opinion on this complaining, etc. =) Thanks so much, also about the gallery!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
gone with the wind.

My Mood: Annoyed
MissInformed is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I am sorry for posting that "All the rules" topic. I just wanted to rant about it a little, because it was how I felt. I had no idea it would go so out of proportion, it would close the site for a day. However, I don't think it's true that if you say the site is dying, you are the cause for it closing. How can one little member close down a whole forum?

But, yeah.