Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old EPCOT Wand? Offical Answer Here! *merged*

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Facnyface is as Frosty as a Snowman
No it's been confirmed for a long time now that they will be doing this and they are doing it for simple reasons:

1. It's gotten way to costly in electric
2. Never maintained
3. Has no purpose
4. EPCOT's 25th anaversey is around and a huge sign saying ''EPCOT'' wasn't in Walt's dream and plan.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Why Take down the WAND?!?

Capn_Leandro is spinning in a Cursed Storm
No, removing this HAS NO PURPOSE.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

WDW Monorail is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n_Leandro View Post
No, removing this HAS NO PURPOSE.
I'm sorry you feel that way. The architecture of EPCOT is something that has a special place in the hearts of many Disney fans. The wand was a disgrace to WDE and WDI even though they wanted it and built it.

Last edited by WDW Monorail; 08-06-2007 at 12:50 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I've left and so have VMK

trainz is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
You are absolutely correct! Management was ignorant enough to keep the silly thing up for 7 years! If it wasn't for Jim McPhee, I doubt that this decision would have been made this year.

The wand was completely against the aesthetics of the park. EPCOT lost it's symmetry. Also, SSE was dwarfed by the structure. It is slowly being returned to it's former glory!

The hands and arms are completely down. The base structure remains and will remain for most of the month.

The last things to go will be the stars on SSE. This should be all done, including the landscaping, by the end of September for the 25th anniversary.

I might add that I do not believe that the foundation of the structure will be removed since it will be extremely difficult.
Sorry i've never been to WDW but i've seen the globe before the sign was put up. The globe by itself is dull, Boring, unimaginative,not disney like. Either A they give the whole thing a new color. or Be put some new stars and stuff on top. Or how about this. Paint the stupid thing to look like earth.

Quote:
4. EPCOT's 25th anaversey is around and a huge sign saying ''EPCOT'' wasn't in Walt's dream and plan.
and how would you know? Disney said you could do what ever you want with the parks but leave his movies alone. Guess that doesn't matter anymore either. If disney was alive pirate wouldn't look the same way and there might not have been a movie at all. If disney was alive how would he approve such a scary ride as everest? Sorry but it seems like nobody knows what disney wanted. They just take their own guess.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
HappyBirthdayNICKJ.

Marysol is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
As of this morning, the hands and arms have been removed. The only things that remain on the structure are the wand facade themselves and a few stars.

Also, I would hope that the whole structure and the stars will be down by October 1st. Otherwise, that would be a bad show.
well i was there and saw it with my eyess
the arm was there get your fact correct
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Miracle from Molecules
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Private Message Donation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!
They sure are bringing it down fast, first reports told it to be down by November, this is way ahead of schedule.

The 21st Century Began October 1st, 1982
Happy 25th, Epcot!
DisneysOnlineWorlds | Policies and Disclaimers | Current DOW Projects
FAQ | IRC Guide | mIRC Guide
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

WDW Monorail is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysol View Post
well i was there and saw it with my eyess
the arm was there get your fact correct
I don't make things up.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Come to the Lazy Mermaid!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Jacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainz View Post
Sorry but it seems like nobody knows what disney wanted.
Not entirely true. Walt spoke often about his ideas, and what he wanted his parks to be. Those ideas have largely gone ignored in the years since his death, sadly. I doubt he would have ever put the giant wand and arm on his pure geodesic sphere. Saying it's EPCOT while you're in EPCOT doesn't make a ton of sense. It takes away from the magnificence of the structure.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
CapnOlaf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Not entirely true. Walt spoke often about his ideas, and what he wanted his parks to be. Those ideas have largely gone ignored in the years since his death, sadly. I doubt he would have ever put the giant wand and arm on his pure geodesic sphere. Saying it's EPCOT while you're in EPCOT doesn't make a ton of sense. It takes away from the magnificence of the structure.
Originally though, he didn't want EPCOT to be a theme park, he called it... the "Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow". It was supposed to be a large city, the perfect place to work, live, and play. There is a design of the EPCOT in the Tomorrowland Transit Authority at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. But then they changed the City to Center. But I have to disagree with Trainz, lots of people know what Walt wanted. If Walt were still alive, I'm sure he would have made something twice as better than, but not as scary as Expedition Everest, and something three times better than the Pirates films as well. Walt was a visionary like there was no other.

As for me, I am glad they are taking down the wand, hand, stars, and sign.

Last edited by CapnOlaf; 08-05-2007 at 09:14 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

That crane is cheap! I noticed it today from some BTS stuff :p It's a rental @_@
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Jacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with ConfettiJacques is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnOlaf View Post
Originally though, he didn't want EPCOT to be a theme park, he called it... the "Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow". It was supposed to be a large city, the perfect place to work, live, and play.
Oh, I'm aware of the original purpose for EPCOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facnyface View Post
That crane is cheap! I noticed it today from some BTS stuff :p It's a rental @_@
Do you know how expensive cranes are? It would be wasteful for a company like Disney that is not in the construction business to own their own crane.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Yea but it would be cheaper they wont have to pay for a company to rent one out they can just start up theres. They have there own mowing crew, tree crew and everything.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Guess the Picture Winner's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 7

My Mood: VMK
punkpat is spinning in a Cursed Storm
so whats happening lol?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

The wand is being taken down... I'm assumeing it's an effort to relive walt's dream of a blank ''golf ball''!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facnyface View Post
Yea but it would be cheaper they wont have to pay for a company to rent one out they can just start up theres. They have there own mowing crew, tree crew and everything.
It wouldn't be cheaper. They would own it, and never use it. A crane that size isn't really handy for most of the building Disney does. Hiring a crew for a one-time job is much more cost effective.