Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Facts of Disneyland

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm an imagineer!
Awards Showcase
VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 2

VIP
Disneyland is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Facts of Disneyland

Did you know..

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr8e83.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr836u.gif[/IMG]

The Jungle Cruise 1. The Magdalena (Maggie) and the Mekong are the two boats currently off the water because with the new boats being so much bigger than the old, not all boats could fit. So two had to go, and management chose which ones it would be.

2. Disney cut one of the old boats in two and sunk it in the lagoon across from the second dock. This is just for looks and helps the old and new skippers remember the main parts of the orginal ride.

3. The Jungle Cruise was the original, the first Disney ride/attraction

4. The Disneyland boats run on a guide rail. The Disneyworld boats run in a concrete trough. It's better from a skipper's point of view to work at Disneyland. The boats derail there, (causing the ride to shut down) but the boats at Disneyworld rarely break down.

5. As you walk through the line just inside of the fort on the first story if you look to the left you will notice a set of plans for the jungle cruise boats on the wall to the left, look at who the plans were approved by in the lower right-hand corner and it says WED, Walt Disney's initials.

6. Just after you exit from behind the water fall and before you are about to make the last turn to head back to dock there is a rock that appears to look like a rino head in the water. It even has a hole cut into it where the eyeball would be. Very interesting. It's almost right across from the head hunter holding the heads in his hand.

7. It is now against SOP (standard operating procedure) to actually shoot at the hippos in the hippo pool. Since they are an endangered species.

8. At the native uprising when the headhunters attack, you'll hear them say "oookalaoalak! Ookalokaloka!" Then one shouts very distinctly "I love disco!"

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr7cwh.gif[/IMG]

The Huanted Mansion - 1. In the attic scene (the bride with the broken heart) in the Haunted Mansion you can see the shadow of the invisible ghost playing piano.

2. On the Haunted House ride where all the ghosts are dancing in the ballroom, there is a spider web in front of you at one point. There is a huge pane of glass located about 5 feet in front of you. The spider web is originally formed by a crack in the glass because of a small boy who slipped a sling shot onto the ride past the ride operators. He aimed it at one of the ghosts thinking it would hit it. But to his surprise, the shot was stopped by the glass in front of him. The glass cracked when the shot hit resembling a spider web. Instead of replacing the glass, which was much too expensive and time consuming, Disney Imagineers fixed it up, and made it look like a spider web

3. There is a difference between the stretch rooms in the Haunted Mansions at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. In Walt Disney World, the ceiling goes up and in Disneyland the floor goes down. It is an Otis elevator, and it goes down about 20 feet. The ceiling stays where it is, as do the upper part of the walls. This is because Disney had to build a warehouse to house the ride on the other side of the railroad tracks and needed a way to get people down to the loading area. The hall with the paintings is what takes you under the tracks. When the ride goes up the first hall it is actually going up on the other side of the tracks. At Walt Disney World, the foor remains at the same level and the ceiling rises to maintain the same illusion. The reason, of course, is that no level change is necessary, as the attraction is on the same level as the entrance

4. Although intresting, is untrue. Yes, it is just a rumor, but it has little foundation in the reality of the attraction. Granted, the dog next to the watchman and the dog next to the sarcophicus are very similar; so are the cats and owls in the same scene. They used the same molds. In addition, the mummy is sitting in a recently opened coffin; in back of him is an egyptian tomb, the mummy is too thin to be the watchman, and at one point the mummy says something in some other language (sounds vaugley arabic, but then again, the voice actor was probley just saying gibberish). There's too much evidence against this.

5. In the Graveyard scene going by the singing busts, as you're doom buggie rides past the last of the busts and begins to turn around, if you lean forward and look to you're right just as you pass the last bust you'll be able to catch a glimse of the mashine that projects the faces on the busts.

6. The Mell-o Men did do the singing in Pirates, as well as "painting the Roses Red" in Alice in Wonderland, and "Grim Grinning Ghosts" for the Haunted Mansion. They are even portrayed as the singing busts in the mansion!

The Pirates of the Carribean- 1. The name of the pirate ship is the "Wicked Wench."

2. Known for their inside jokes, the artists for this attraction modeled some of the pirate faces (particularly the mischievous ones) after themselves.

3. As you pass the Blue Bayou restaurant on the Pirates of the Carribbean, there is a second-story balcony that appears to be a facade. Actually, the balcony is part of Walt Disney's Club 33.

4. When you first take off in Pirates, while floating past the Blue Bayou, look up at the sky for 15 to 20 seconds, you will see a shooting star streak by.

5. The Captain of the ship (the part with the cannonballs) has a braided beard with red ribbons in it

6. The face of the woman in the picture is very similar to that of the woman in Haunted Mansion with the snakes coming out of her head.

7. The Pirates of the Caribbean is so big! Where does it all fit? Only the very beginning and the end of the attraction are actually in New Orleans Square. After the first big drops (which actually go under the DL Railroad tracks) the entire ride is in a large green sound stage backstage. This is one of four sound stages in a row (Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Splash Mountain). They are visible from Downtown Disney and between DL and DCA. They are the buildings decorated with images of palm trees.

8. The maidens may chase the pirates at Disney World, but at Disneyland they don't with the exception of the last chase, where a pirate is being chased by a maiden.

9. The fireflies in Pirates are actually small blinking lights on a small string or wire, blown in different directions by small fans.

10. The pirate captain leans against the well in the mayor-dunking scene. But in the original plans of the ride, the captain was supposed to have a hook. Walt ruled it out because it would cost more money to have a moving "animatronic" arm. To this day, the captain still leans and has a complete human hand.

11. The are pigs wallowing in the mud with the drunken pirate are oinking in time to the music.

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr79y0.gif[/IMG]

Big Thunder Mountain- 1. Big Thunder Mountain, built in 1979, is covered with 9.5 acres of painted concrete.

2. When Big Thunder Mountain was being designed, one of the ideas was sort of like the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Guests would board their train car and soon would slowly go up a large hill, then the train would make a sound like the brakes giving away and the train would go plummeting down the hill backwards.

3. Big Thunder also has a footprint, complete with toenails, embedded in a rock. After the goat eating dynamite, the train goes into a hard right turn and the rock is on the left.

4. Before you go down for your first drop, notice the rattle snakes and goat on the right and left, people don't notice them since they are scared of going down for the first time!

5. After going up the second hill on Thunder Mountain, there is a spiral-like turn. At the same place there's a goat eating a dynamite stick. Watch the goat all the way through the turn and you'll be propelled towards the side of the car. It's very cool if you can get it to work.

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr7caq.gif[/IMG]

Splash Mounatin- 1. The original Splash Mountain in Disneyland cost 3 times more to make than the one in Japan.

2. When they were about to open the ride to the public, and were testing it. The log was turned around and cast members testing it were sent down the big drop backwards to make sure everything was ok.

3. Before Splash Mountain was added as a ride in Critter Country, there used to be a cave in the rocks opposite from the Country Bear jamboree entrance. In this cave you could hear the sound a a very large grizzly sleeping and snoring loudly.

4. At one point, inside, there are bees that are humming "Zip-a-dee-do-da!" well, before that there is a drop. durring the drop you can hear "There's no one in here but beeeeeeees!" it's cute. it's a fun drop too!

5. Space Mountain and Splash Mountain are actually taller than the Matterhorn, but since the Matterhorn is a Disneyland landmark, the taller buildings were put partially underground so as not to dwarf it.

[IMG]http://i1.************/rr8578.gif[/IMG]

Alice in Wonderland- 1. I made it a point to look out for the shoes left on top of the operators mushroom. I really looks funny. Don't try to see these from the ground though. Unless you are really tall or jump high, you can't see them.

2. Disneyland, California is the only park to have the Alice in Wonderland ride.

3. Near the end, before the ride pops out in the open the first time, instead of going through doors with cards on them, there were false cartoon-style doors painted on the actual doors which got progressively smaller, giving a shrinking-type effect, with the "Goofy" yell climaxing as you busted through the last tiny door. Please clarify this for me if anyone can.

Matterhorn- 1. When Disneyland first opened, the Matterhorn wasn't there. It was just a patch of orange trees.

2. Before Matterhorn opened, Walt took it for a spin. Since the ride was not yet completed workers piled some hay at the end to stop the ride. Walt liked the the feeling of way he collided with the hay so much he made the ride end to the same effect as the hay.

3. Near the begining where you see just the red eyes of a snow monster look up to see the metal framing of the Matterhorn.

4. There used to be a basketball court on the very top of the Matterhorn, I asked a Cast Member and he said that they took it down.

[IMG]http://i1.************/rsv6a8.gif[/IMG]

Autopia-1. Chevron is now sponsering Autotopia

2. In 1955 when Disneyland Park first opened, Autopia was one of the original 20 attractions. When the Autopia cars first took to the road, they captured America's fascination with the latest transportation innovation, the "freeway." Adults and children alike could experience the thrill of driving in their own cars.

3. This is the only original Tomorrowland attraction left from 1955 when Tomorrowland first opened.

4. While inline for Autopia, (where the fastpass line keeps going straight and the regular line branchs off the the right), they play music from the former attraction The Peoplemover.

5. Matthew Howard, the voice of Dusty the SUV, is a 14 year old boy from southern California. He is the first child to be an announcer on any of Disney's rides around the world.

6. The bodies of the new Autopia cars were all created at Walt Disney World Central Shops

7. If you are driving you will see a lot of little cute things. A sign appears that says "Mouse Crossing." If you look at the curb directly after the sign to your right, there is a little mousehole.

8. I would like to remind you this ride is NOT bumper cars!! Becuse of the grill work design people bump thinking they were made for that. They are really just cars! Its sad to say that lots of people are hurt badly because people bump each other not caring that it says not to! A little girl got her nose broken and employees are hit and hurt because people think its OK not to listen to the rules! This is a daily thing that happens and I know that employees are sad and try hard not to be hurt and protect you. So please dive safely in the cars!

[IMG]http://i1.************/rsv510.gif[/IMG]

More Coming real soon how do you know..? Because I said as of 12/29/06

Last edited by Disneyland; 12-30-2006 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: More facts coming soon!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm back! -1/19/06-

coolgogogirl is covered with Confetticoolgogogirl is covered with Confetticoolgogogirl is covered with Confetti
I have one about toontown. If you go backstage, behind the backdrop, you can't take off your shoes because that's where they set off some of the fireworks and they say your feet can get injured. My first thought was why would you take your shoes off in the first place?

-coolgogogirl
Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
bigthunderpsycopath

matterhornmaniac is spinning in a Cursed Storm
actually it was a gun, not a slingshot that created the whole in the ballroom glass. and it wasn't a kid. it was an intoxicated man
Old 02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
WOW! Lots of facts
Thanks for sharing them with us
I see you keep updating it. WOOT!
~StitchMad

Last edited by StitchMad; 01-11-2007 at 08:32 AM..
Old 02-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Master of the Random
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Jolber is spinning in a Cursed Storm
yup thank you, i dont know the parks good
Old 02-26-2006, 02:33 PM
OHEMJAY.

KrazyDopey is spinning in a Cursed Storm
in fantasyland in disneyland
up in the matterhorn there is a basketball court up in the top of it, i made sure by asking an employee since my mother would not believe me, now she knows not to doubt my disney knowing

also, this is about the whole park, there are underground tunnels, Walt did this so that he would not see a rooting tootin cowboy in space age tomorrowland while walking to where they need to be such as a parade. just helping out

main street fact : in the 70s i forgot which year but i am pretty sure its the 70s please someone correct me if im wrong, they removed Esmeralda from the park (yet again i forgot where they took her from lol, i think the theater but im not sure) and the people complained so much they had to put her back, she resides in front of the penny arcade

as for this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matterhornmaniac
actually it was a gun, not a slingshot that created the whole in the ballroom glass. and it wasn't a kid. it was an intoxicated man
maybe he did not know or maybe he was trying to keep it G rated for the little kids that may be surfing this site, lol no offense but if you had a little kid would you like them to be reading about intoxicated men shooting various things at Disneyland? lol just my 2cents

Btw great thread! interesting and nice to read good job
also i think you forgot crittercountry? or is that just with frontierland lol i forget things, because i know there is a critter country (winniethepooh is there )
Old 02-26-2006, 03:09 PM
I am an AP Holder!!!!

mrskellington doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull out the sword
In Fantasyland, on the way to Big Thunder Ranch, there is a Churro stand and a Shopping Cart. Look up in the hils behind the cart and stand and you will see a station, IT USED TO BE THE SKYWAY STATION!

And in Critter Country, the one you forgot about to put in! On Winnie the Pooh, after the Heffalumps and Woozles Scene, there are three heads hanging on a wall behind you. These 3 heads used to be from The Country Bear Jamboree, and are considered 'Tributes' to the ride. You have to be in the first or second row to see them. When Pooh is in Honey Heaven, look behind you! and they're there!

In Adevntureland, when you're on the Jungle Cruise. When you are at the scene of the Natives chanting, listen carefully and you will hear one yell ' I LOVE DISCO!'

On the Jungle Cruise, when you are looking at Trader Sam, and that little green-eyed thing next to him, if his green eyes are blinking, then that means the tracks are swithching, and if the skipper goes right by them, then your boat is going to be de-railed!

On Indianna Jones, that little engine thing outside the queue powers all the lights to go on and off inside the temple queue.

In Indianna Jones In the queueing area with the spiked ceiling and holes in the floor, there is a single bamboo pole on the left side of the room holding up the ceiling. It is marked "Do not shake the pole" Shake it vigorously (and I do mean vigorously!) and all the people around you will be surprised by the loud sounds of the ceiling collapsing upon them and the ceiling dropping - about 1 - 1 1/2 inches! The pole is on a time delay so it will not work all the time
Old 02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
the inside of my heart.

TikiRoom is as Frosty as a Snowman
Great ones mrskelington! I do know about the IJ one though, we do it all the time, if it will move, or someone has not already done it right before us..., The pole one...

I don't really have anything...

But in Indy J., when you are about to see the video about putting seatbelts on and the story... there is a tomb thing... if you pull on the rope hard enough, and it takes a lot of stregth, you will hear someone say something.
we can take a chance.
this crazy thing that we call a romance
still fills the inside
the inside of my heart.

the inside- danny larsh
i got 3 hugs from him. xD
Old 02-26-2006, 03:25 PM
OHEMJAY.

did you know people used to steal the apples from the Snow White Scary Adventures attraction? lol they did, if you got caught it would cost you $400 even though the apples costed $16, now they they screwed the apples down, they have a voice on it near the jewels saying keep hands inside cart at all times, dont want ppl stealing jewels LOL
Old 02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I am an AP Holder!!!!

mrskellington doesn’t quite have what it takes to pull out the sword
Oh Yea! I forgot one! When you are in the movie room of Indianna Jones, get a cast-members attention, and ask them to Show you the parking lot sign, and the hidden mickey! You won't believe your eyes how huge that mickey is!
Old 02-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

skip has disabled reputation
About the apples thing... I believe they now use a holographic apple. It hasn't been stolen yet!

That was a popular thing to steal on Grad Nights... people go crazy then.

-skippyskippy
Old 02-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Avvie Made By ME!!

AbbyW is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Thumbs up

all the facts are gr8!
thx lol!

i can't really go to disneyland that much,
because i live in ireland!
so thx a lot for the facts!
Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Boys + Music = LIFE

kidkid9393 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
i will have to save these for 3 years when i go to drl
Old 02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
OHEMJAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyskippy
About the apples thing... I believe they now use a holographic apple. It hasn't been stolen yet!

That was a popular thing to steal on Grad Nights... people go crazy then.

-skippyskippy
i got this fact from a site, im not sure about the holographic, because i read that they screwed it down, hmm i will have to look into that

SMALL WORLD FACT: There is only 1 lone doll that represents the Phillipines in "It's A Small World", i think it resides in between the hawaiian set and the mermaids, she is in a pale dress and has a fan, im not sure if they still have it there in that exact spot
Old 02-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
More Indiana Jones facts:

During the first... month, I believe, of Indy, the cast members would hand out cards before entering the temple so that you may decode the writing on the wall. However, upon close inspection, every symbol on the card greatly resembles the corresponding letter of the alphabet, with the exception of the letter I, which is actually shaped like an eye. In layman's terms, you do not need the card to read the writing.

After walking through the hole in the wall in the queue, (the room before the spike room scene), you enter a cave with a sign that says "Beware of bats!" approximately halfway through this room, there should be a hole in the wall to your left, illuminated by a purple light. Look inside this hole, and you'll see a trio of bats sleeping.

The track on the Indiana Jones ride is perfectly flat, and the vehicle shakes around on it's own to create the illusion of a bumpy road.

(Unsure if this is still in effect, but...) Before riding out of the queue, you hear... Solon, I believe his name was? over the radio, telling you to buckle your seatbelts, and that the brakes need a bit of work. Also, if you are sitting in the front row, he also asks you to check if the steering wheel is stuck or not. (Of course, it is stuck, but Solon is oblivious to that )

After riding through the arch out of the queue, you'll drive past a makeshift wall of mirrors pointing to one of the three doors. The mirror actually moves around to show exactly which door you'll drive through.
-Corollary: All three doors go to the same room, but different lighting effects ensure to create the illusion that there is more than one room. If you go through the door that supposedly leads to the fountain of youth or the observatory of the future, stare carefully at the wall. You will see the wall mural for the Infinite wealth room behind it. This is used in an illusion similar to the stretching room celing on Haunted Mansion.

Yep yep, and I found that all out on careful observaton