Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK! > Project: SAVE VMK! Archive

Project: SAVE VMK! Archive Archive forum for Project: SAVE VMK!

Old A fight isn't over...

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:52 AM
The Scene and Herd...
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Baffled
KEBSD is as Frosty as a Snowman
20,000+ is not an exaggeration. That is how many people have signed the petition to save VMK.

~Key
Old 05-29-2008, 02:36 AM
₪ ø lll ·o.
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

My Mood: Insomnious
spot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyth View Post
Well we sure are glad that 'some teenage girl on a website' has dubbed herself an expert in human sociology. I'll bet they'll be lining up at your door for such sound advice as you are full of.
P.S. - as long as you are googling away looking for quotes to belittle others, here's one in reply...
An expert in human sociology?
Ugh, no. I have absolutely no social skills (as you can probably tell) and I don't understand people in general.
My "I dub thee sane" comment was intended to be humorous. I'm sorry you didn't catch that.

Giving advice? Hardly. I'm stating my opinions. I'm just bored, I really don't care much what other people are doing. The melodrama is entertaining.

Actually, my friend found the quote that I'm using in my signature at the moment. I found it amusing.
I'll change that, too, I suppose.

Oh, and one more thing.
It's spelled "anonymous."

Quote:
20,000+ is not an exaggeration. That is how many people have signed the petition to save VMK.
Not including people's mules?

~Spotty
Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Now bring me that horizon
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

My Mood: Scurvy
cooliomoviefan is spinning in a Cursed Storm
- SOB -
i still cant believe its closed

eh im still dreaming it will open again
i hope thats one of my dreams that comes true

My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot41414 View Post

Oh, and one more thing.
It's spelled "anonymous."

Not including people's mules?

~Spotty
Not Including people's mules.
Oh and by the way..
Before we feel all high and mighty regarding a spelling error..
Quote:
Yes, they're labelling themselves. So is everyone and their mother.
The "goths," "emos," "preps," "chavs," and "jocks" are labelling themselves, too. Why not bash them?
Leave it be, it's a source of entertainment.
~Spotty
(Labeling)
Quote:
Do you really think a few hunded..
~Spotty
(Hundred)
Quote:
More of your life being wasted sitting in front of a computer screen and barbequing your eyes?
~Spotty
(barbecuing)
Well never mind, I guess you get the point.
Happens.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
An expert in human sociology?
Ugh, no. I have absolutely no social skills (as you can probably tell) and I don't understand people in general...
Neither do I. But I don't showcase it, I don't go "Look at me! Human emotions are unimportant, and I am proud of it!"

I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's definitely the message you're sending out.

Quote:
The melodrama is entertaining.
I reiterate my above statement.

Quote:
Please, get over it. So I don't feel embarassed for the people who are being melodramatic.
I've got to hand it to you, you're stubborn.

~Spotty
Stubborn? Definitely. Melodromatic? Maybe.
Justified? Yes.

As I've stated before, VMK was more than just a game. To a poor old game developer-in-training like me, it was art. The graphics perfectly used subtle hints to make you feel like the world you were in was far greater than it seemed. The ambient sounds were very subtle, yet very inspired. I loved the quiet mumblings of the crowd in VMK central. And the gameplay, the make-it-or-break-it part of the game that can either reinforce your message or concept or leave the gamer cold, perfectly reinforced the idea of community.

It wasn't like POTC where, despite being all about swashbuckling, all the swordfights seem static, or Toontown, where the gags, while definitely toon-y at first, are, at the end of the day, just cleverly animated weapons in another turn-based fighting system.

Not only that, but VMK also carried a second message that many people definitely felt, but few consciously acknowledge: As you walk around this virtual park and realize all the stages and tools given to you to create your own rooms, rides, or anything else you can imagine, the game seems to whisper "Look about you, at all the stories we have weaved. Are you ready to create your own?" It was the perfect immersion tactic, the perfect blending between gamer and game.

I, personally, consider VMK the Vitruvian Man of games. While it may not have been THE best (That spot is personally reserved in my heart for Phantom Brave), it accurately dissected and showcased the idea of a game not only as a form of entertainment, but a form AND platform for art. It was an amazing inspiration for my own games.

People look at games, and think "Oh, they're just mindless distractions." To some, that may be the case. To many, though, they're no more of a mindless distraction than, say, one of Alfred Hitchc ock's films, or a J.R.R. Tolkien novel.

In fact, some may argue that they're even better. Why? Because many games manage to keep the same depth of story, the same level of storytelling, but, instead of being a passive experience, it pulls the gamer in, makes him PART of the story. Few people realize the immense potential games have as one of the greatest storytelling platforms possible.

To walk into a thread like this and proclaim "VMK was just a game" right in front of me is honestly the equivalent of walking into an art museum and shouting "They're just paintings, people! Move along!" right in front of the curator.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 AM
₪ ø lll ·o.
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 

My Mood: Insomnious
spot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confettispot41414 is covered with Confetti
I'll admit I liked the post above me. Though the length was intimidating.

Quote:
Neither do I. But I don't showcase it, I don't go "Look at me! Human emotions are unimportant, and I am proud of it!"

I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's definitely the message you're sending out.
Human emotions are unimportant?
I don't believe that was the message I was sending out.
Actually, I really didn't mean for this to turn into something regarding my morals and social issues.
But, I will say this...
I don't think they're "unimportant." Just confusing, extremely illogical, and sometimes aggravating.

Look. I liked VMK. I was playing since day one, I had my group of friends, and I especially enjoyed pirates.
I was merely saying (or, rather, trying to say) that people are making a huge deal out of the game closing, and it's a little melodramatic.
I'm just going to add that I also find it melodramatic when people cry for books, movies, or songs, so my opinion may be a little harsh to begin with.

Going back and re-reading my posts, I do realize there were some attacks there, and I apologize. I really didn't mean for this to turn into an all-out brawl.

mrmyth, that was poetic justice. I loved that.
Thank you for the corrections. Labeling... Barbecuing....
That one still looks funny to me. Barbecuing... Anyway.

I'll stop poking the hornet's nest with a stick now.
I'll... Try to ignore the posts in this forum, since most of them don't apply to me.
Rants are easier to make logical responses to anyway!

Okay? If I stop throwing rocks at you guys, you'll continue your little... debate/discussion?
Not sure what to call it.
Anyway!
I'm done arguing with you guys.

Honestly, though, LordIllidan... I loved that post.

~Spotty

Last edited by spot41414; 06-01-2008 at 02:41 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Cheese Owns
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

toontoony is spinning in a Cursed Storm
So agreed. I will never give up, evon if it means setting disney world on fire! I will work untill the day of none, my heart will carry on evon when im dead.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Why I outta'.............
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

shadowkryptonite is spinning in a Cursed Storm
My Disneyworld. Go burn your own.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 

LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
I'll admit I liked the post above me. Though the length was intimidating.
I tend to do that sometimes :P

Quote:
Human emotions are unimportant?
I don't believe that was the message I was sending out.
Well, I admittedly lean towards the Romanticism school of thought, partly because I'm not as good at hard logic and business strategy as I am emotion-based logic and human rights, so to speak.

After all, I'm a fantasy writer, not a scholar

Quote:
Actually, I really didn't mean for this to turn into something regarding my morals and social issues.
But, I will say this...
I don't think they're "unimportant." Just confusing, extremely illogical, and sometimes aggravating.
Some will argue that that's what makes them great. But, since it seems we've called truce, let's not delve into that.

Quote:
Look. I liked VMK. I was playing since day one, I had my group of friends, and I especially enjoyed pirates.
I was merely saying (or, rather, trying to say) that people are making a huge deal out of the game closing, and it's a little melodramatic.
Well, if we all followed that logic, none of us would be fighting in the first place

(And before someone goes on about how a fight requires interaction from both sides... I only use that verb because that's what it feels like from my side, and because I can't think of a more accurate verb at the moment :P)

Quote:
Going back and re-reading my posts, I do realize there were some attacks there, and I apologize. I really didn't mean for this to turn into an all-out brawl.
As other people said, it requires two to fight. So, I suppose I'm at fault as well if it turned into a brawl. Apologies.

Quote:
Honestly, though, LordIllidan... I loved that post.

~Spotty
Thanks I spent a lot of time thinking about it instead of eating a sandwich like I was supposed to

On a completely unrelated note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoony View Post
So agreed. I will never give up, evon if it means setting disney world on fire! I will work untill the day of none, my heart will carry on evon when im dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowkryptonite View Post
My Disneyworld. Go burn your own.
This little mini-conversation here made me laugh XD

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Uh..I forgot..
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2010 Award Joy To The World 

Chululli is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdHat View Post
Staff have already told us there is nothing we can do to change their minds. Nothing we can do to make disney even consider not closing vmk. I hate to say this so much, but we lost. Disney is too powerful, and even though you may think it's not true, they don't care about us. If Walt was here, he would do something. They should think about that.
DID YOU KNOW THEY SAVED WALT'S HEAD?! And your right, the world is messed up cause of things like this. The big guy puts down the little guy. Likein i, Robot, when Del said the thing about the big guy picking on the little guy, referring to the powerful robots making chairs faster than the little guy, being his dad, which showed that the robots should replace Del's father's job. It just what makes the wolrd the world, and at the same time hurts it.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
I'm sorry to say this, but let's move on. I myself tried very hard to save VMK in its last months, as many did. We all didn't expect Disney to maintain VMK, in fact, we all knew that was never going to happen. But guess what happened? Disney heard our small voice. That's a victory in itself. That victory taught kids like me that a small voice CAN be heard when other small voices speak with it. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that we already made the biggest impact that we can make and that trying any harder is just a waste. As many others have been saying, let's look at the demise of VMK as a new beginning. We can apply the life lessons learned from VMK to our real lives that have now become more open. Summer is approaching. Instead of continuing to harrass Disney to do something that they simply will not do, let's enjoy our summer with the memories of VMK in our hearts. We shook Disney as hard as we could, and that is enough for me.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I will never grow-up
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award 

My Mood: VMK
autoalice is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but let's move on. I myself tried very hard to save VMK in its last months, as many did. We all didn't expect Disney to maintain VMK, in fact, we all knew that was never going to happen. But guess what happened? Disney heard our small voice. That's a victory in itself. That victory taught kids like me that a small voice CAN be heard when other small voices speak with it. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that we already made the biggest impact that we can make and that trying any harder is just a waste. As many others have been saying, let's look at the demise of VMK as a new beginning. We can apply the life lessons learned from VMK to our real lives that have now become more open. Summer is approaching. Instead of continuing to harrass Disney to do something that they simply will not do, let's enjoy our summer with the memories of VMK in our hearts. We shook Disney as hard as we could, and that is enough for me.
Very well said!

only...I still won't shut up and will keep pestering them..until someone comes to my door and tells me to stop

Last edited by autoalice; 06-01-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: didn't mean to hit return yet
Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
Most of what you wrote was a brilliant insight of what happened. Only a few ares do we part ways on. We can still continue making an impact by letting them know we have not, nor will we, forget the way they treated us. By keeping up the efforts we stay on their minds in that, we still miss our game, and we expect a better result in future online games. There is no saying as to what Disney will or will not do..
Let's just hope because of our voices, the future has us in mind.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Trader
Awards Showcase
Super Sleuth Award Joy To The World 

StarBP is as Frosty as a Snowman
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellisMan View Post
What a pessimistic response.

VMK may be gone for now, but we can still resurrect it. When people put up a fight, something happens. Even is that something is small, it's still something. VMK is gone, but are the petitions gone? Are we as humans gone?

I don't care if I'm the only person left fighting, I have a cause. We being angry consumers, Disney will respond sometime. One person made it many times in history... so who are you to tell us that 20,000+ people can't?

Spot, your signature disappoints me. Many people cried for VMK. Grown men cried for VMK. They lost many friends. They lost masterpieces of rooms. They lost items that they worked hard for, and truly came to love. Why don't you get over the fact that some people are upset?
I have heard of Disney giving EXIT passes (similar to VIP passes, no waiting in any ride queue for the day) to very angry customers, but that only happens if the person has to wait for 2 hours for a sandwich or something like that. One angry customer can make a difference for that one person's life; 20,000 angry customers can make a difference for all of their lives.