Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Magic Kingdoms Archive

Magic Kingdoms Archive Archive forum for Magic Kingdoms

Old Facts of Walt Disney World!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:57 PM
VMK's true DJ! :D Remix!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

Tris-Remix is as Frosty as a Snowman
I heard MGM studioes will be renamed Hollywood Studios or soemthing liek that, what did MGM stand for?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Facnyface is as Frosty as a Snowman
Idk really, it's another filming company, and yea the thread is found in this very forum
Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

WDW Monorail is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Metro Goldwyn Mayer.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

GreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying around
When Eisner first had the park built, he entered into an agreement with Metro Goldwyn Mayer to share the name. He somehow felt the name MGM would lend more validity to the park.

Since then, MGM - which had been on the skids - rebounded and was eventually bought by Sony. Sony is a huge competitor of Disney's and simply didn't want their name on a Disney park, so there's been talk for a long time that Sony would not renew the contract agreement for the name. Looks like they didn't.

For all of you who still don't know MGM, they are the studio with the roaring lion in the circle as their logo. Best known today for the James Bond films (although those started with United Artists and may go back now that UA is splitting cfrom MGM as a separate division).
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 AM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
CapnOlaf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I didn't know Sony bought MGM, when did they do that?

Sony also, is a movie company that produces many products, they have also made the Playstation video game devices.

They also own the companys Coumbia Pictures(Spider-Man, Men In Black, The Pink Panther(also produced by MGM) and Tristar Pictures(Hook, Jumanji, Jerry Maguire).

They also own the television channel CBS.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 AM
Friend of Daisy Buchanan

GreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundGreatGatsby has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnOlaf View Post
They also own the television channel CBS.
Ah, no. Viacom owns CBS (as well as Paramount).
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 AM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
CapnOlaf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGatsby View Post
Ah, no. Viacom owns CBS (as well as Paramount).
Ok then, nvm. I seriously don't know what I was thinking.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
SAVE VMK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SweetSammi is spinning in a Cursed Storm
wow you guys get off topic easily.

on main streeet in MK there are mail boxes that look like they are there for decoration but you can put a letter in it and it will get mailed.

on Expedition Everest when you are going up to the top of the Mt. (when you go through the temple thing it is when you are first going to the mt.) if you look to the left you can see Epcot and MGM and you look behind yourself (be careful when you do ) you can just about see Magic Kingdom (you can only see the castle, Space mt., and the conterporary.) you also get to see all the land that Walt Disney owns. it is beautiful. oh and if you look to the right you can see Orlando, FL. (NOTE to the right disney doesn't own that AK is on the border) i found this out for myself

will post more later
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSammi View Post
wow you guys get off topic easily.

on main streeet in MK there are mail boxes that look like they are there for decoration but you can put a letter in it and it will get mailed.

on Expedition Everest when you are going up to the top of the Mt. (when you go through the temple thing it is when you are first going to the mt.) if you look to the left you can see Epcot and MGM and you look behind yourself (be careful when you do ) you can just about see Magic Kingdom (you can only see the castle, Space mt., and the conterporary.) you also get to see all the land that Walt Disney owns. it is beautiful. oh and if you look to the right you can see Orlando, FL. (NOTE to the right disney doesn't own that AK is on the border) i found this out for myself

will post more later

No actually they were debateing the MGM name and how it got it. It's a fact
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Mars the Fandox
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Gumshoe Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park VIP
My Mood: Fluffy
la4gator is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facnyface View Post
No actually they were debateing the MGM name and how it got it. It's a fact
thats interesting about debating the MGM name
Old 08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
HappyBirthdayNICKJ.

Marysol is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Hmm here is a a pretty interesting 1..

When you enter Disney's Pop Century Classic Years, On the right hand side you see brown buildings. There are two or three I think. Also you can see them from Hourglass Lake, across the lake. These buildings where suppose to be part pop century. If you look close it is the same strurcture, but they just painted it over brown. They are planning to tear these down though. Ill post a pic Soon!

Also...When you get off of space mountain you will see a pooh bear shadow.

more laterss.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

WDW Monorail is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysol View Post

When you enter Disney's Pop Century Classic Years, On the right hand side you see brown buildings. There are two or three I think. Also you can see them from Hourglass Lake, across the lake. These buildings where suppose to be part pop century. If you look close it is the same strurcture, but they just painted it over brown. They are planning to tear these down though. Ill post a pic Soon!

more laterss.
Yep, that was supposed to be for the Golden Years (20s, 30s, and 40s).
There is a video up on [one of those online video sites] depicting the structures. It is rather spooky to see the yet to be enclosed and furnished rooms.

The foundations for all 12 buildings were poured and are visible on live local. Infortunately, only 2 of the buildings were constructed because of attendance decreases in 2001. There is still a good chance that theses will be finished a couple of years down the road. I haven't heard that they would tear them down, but who knows for sure.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:

more laterss.
Yea it was orginally going to be Phrase 2 of pop centry (similar to Saratoga Springs which had 3 phases!) but when September 11 happened they were scared of money loss so they had a major budget cut so now the cafeteria is used for cm purposes and bus driver training.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 PM
HappyBirthdayNICKJ.

Marysol is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I spoke to the manager, and said that they would most likley tear them down. who knows, really.
I think it is quite a distance from Classic Hall, a bit out of way. They are totaly empty rooms though, which must be kinda creepy in a im-not-in-wdw, kinda way. They could use more rooms though, since they always seemed to be full, even during off season.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Ask For My WDW Videos.
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

Quote:
I spoke to the manager, and said that they would most likley tear them down. who knows, really.
I think it is quite a distance from Classic Hall, a bit out of way. They are totaly empty rooms though, which must be kinda creepy in a im-not-in-wdw, kinda way. They could use more rooms though, since they always seemed to be full, even during off season.
Yea but so is All Star, there second and third phase are a bit far away and Pop Center is the exact same blue prints as All Star.