Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Disney Fan Club > Disney Gossip > Disney Gossip Archive

Disney Gossip Archive Disney Gossip archive

Old Person sues disney!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
hiya all

rockclimbing is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Person sues disney!

Mickey drawing leads man on quest

But Disney archivist disagrees with claims about the sketch.
By MIKE BRASSFIELD

© St. Petersburg Times, published January 1, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1984, Steven Stein was walking by a New York City junk shop when he saw a dusty Mickey Mouse drawing in a broken frame. He thought it looked like something special.

He bought it for $3.

Stein, now a Clearwater area art dealer, hopes to sell it for millions of dollars.

During the past 16 years, Stein has become convinced that he found a lost treasure, one of the earliest drawings of Mickey from the 1920s, possibly from Walt Disney's own hand.

There's just one problem: The chief archivist at Walt Disney Studios, the man entrusted with cataloging and safeguarding Walt's legacy, thinks Stein's drawing is nothing out of the ordinary.

That's definitely a problem. Stein, 48, doesn't care.

"They're trying to pooh-pooh it with these feeble excuses," Stein says. "This piece can speak for itself."

In his view, the Disney corporation isn't willing to admit that it threw away a treasure. Stein insists on calling the drawing "Mickey's blueprint" or "the Holy Grail of animation art."

Through the years, Stein has had various experts, scientists and cartoonists examine it. Their opinions have bolstered his case -- to a point.

Stein has put together a Web site and a 50-page book of do###ents to convince potential buyers. His sales pitch: "Own a piece of American heritage."

The drawing itself is about 2 feet by 3 feet, done with India ink on expensive vellum. It shows Mickey Mouse talking on a phone.

Right away, some obvious questions arise.

The Mickey in the drawing has short arms and gloved hands. The Mickey in Steamboat Willie, the character's 1928 cartoon debut, has long pipestem-like arms and bare hands.

Stein's response: The drawing is an early experimental work, when nothing about the character had been decided. And Mickey's gloves appear briefly in Steamboat Willie's opening credits.

Critics have wondered whether phones with cradle receivers even existed in the 1920s. They did, but the coiled phone cord had not been invented yet.

Stein's response: "They didn't have a talking mouse then, either, and Disney invented that. If he embellished his drawing with a curly phone cord, we can surely give him that poetic license."

The drawing's long snout and pear-like body shape resemble the early Mickey. (Mickey has since slimmed down.) The "pie-cut eyes," which look like pies with a slice missing, were sometimes used through 1939 and then later in nostalgia drawings.

Stein keeps his prize in a climate-controlled art vault in New York, an expense he can barely afford.

In 1987, Stein sent a small copy of it to Walt Disney archivist Dave Smith, who doubts that it's even the work of a Disney Studios artist.

"The item in no way dates from the 1920s or 1930s and is more likely from the late 1970s or 1980s," Smith wrote in a recent e-mail to the St. Petersburg Times.

In 1989, Stein showed the sketch to Charles Hamilton, an autograph dealer and handwriting expert known for exposing forgeries like the "Hitler diaries." Hamilton, who died in 1996, had examined numerous sketches said to be by Walt Disney. Many of them weren't.

Hamilton thought Stein's cartoon was drawn about 1930, possibly by Walt Disney, and was worth more than a small Walt Disney sketch that had recently sold for $100,000.

In 1991, Chicago forensic scientist Skip Palenik found that the drawing's ink and paper were from 1900-1950.

"If I wrote that, then I stand by it," said Palenik, who has since tested evidence in the Oklahoma City bombing and the JonBenet Ramsey case.

In 1993, Sacramento art appraiser Rudolph Curiel put the drawing's value at $450,000 to $500,000.

Animation art dealer Peter Adamakos, founder of a cartoon museum, thought the drawing was old but that its purpose would probably always be a mystery; it could just as easily have been part of a sign pointing to the Disney studio washrooms as anything else.

"The piece has had a rocky reception, due, I think, to Steve's high hopes that this is some major breakthrough item," Adamakos said last week. "Steve was nothing if not enthusiastic about the piece, and the art world does not like enthusiasm."

Adamakos doesn't think the drawing was done by Walt Disney because Disney wasn't a skilled artist. Still, he thinks it should be worth more than old animation cels, some of which sell for up to $250,000. But he doesn't think Stein should bill it as "some kind of cartoon Shroud of Turin."

Smith, the Disney archivist, doesn't want to get drawn into an argument with Stein. But when pressed, he can punch several holes in Stein's case:

The Disney Studios are in Burbank, Calif., and this drawing was essentially found in the trash in New York in the 1980s.

Walt Disney himself didn't do finished art, only rough sketches.

Animation drawings weren't done on vellum, and Disney artists familiar with other early Disney art don't recall anything like this drawing.

Stein has his answers ready:

Walt Disney did finished art early in his career.

This wasn't an animation drawing. It was a prototype, an early character study.

Someone at Disney must have thrown the drawing out in the 1970s. It ended up in a box of junk that made its way to a New York thrift shop.

Even if it wasn't drawn by Walt himself, it's valuable because it's from the earliest Disney era.

Stein, who moved to this area three years ago, works out of his small home. He says he is close to selling the piece to a collector for $2-million.

Couldn't this picture have just been drawn by an art student or random artist somewhere?

"It's on an expensive kind of paper," Stein said. "No one would have done this just for fun."

He says he doesn't trust auction houses such as Sotheby's and Christie's, and that others in the art world tried to swindle him. He put the drawing up for sale eBay, but the high bidder wasn't serious.

"A third of my life is entwined in this," Stein said. "For whatever reason, it was my destiny to see this through."

this crazy man sues disney..

here in this link or you can read the above your choice

http://www.sptimes.com/News/010101/n...g_leads_.shtml

i hope this is in the right place..
Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
VMK member since 9/22/05

rockstrkid is spinning in a Cursed Storm
wow, thats amazing. And yet, really stupid.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Shadows Are Security

Fantasysurfingboy is spinning in a Cursed Storm
That is really stupid... Disney is going to win though, I bet.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
« How Unfortunate
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
CapnOlaf is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I do not believe this, no art form of Mickey drawn by Walt Disney, would ever be put in a thrift shop in New York.
I most assuredly believe Disney will win.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 AM
hiya all

rockclimbing is spinning in a Cursed Storm
hmm

disney wins
or stein

votes for stein.. i have no idea
votes for disney.. i still have no idea

but then again..

ive heard disney gets sued every week and nobody wins..
Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I don't know
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

jsmall is spinning in a Cursed Storm
yeah the art dealers got no chance
Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Still looking for Nemo

My Mood: Adventurous
Nemofinder is spinning in a Cursed Storm
sounds like a job for the CSI team lol
Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Not playing vmk much

MarathonMan is covered with ConfettiMarathonMan is covered with ConfettiMarathonMan is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysurfingboy View Post
That is really stupid... Disney is going to win though, I bet.
The sad thing about these cases the small guy usually wins, like the person that sued McDonalds for it's food making her overweight, and won. And it even got McDonalds to "adjust" their menu and food, so its a bit healthier. But to stay on subject their are some people out there desperate for money.
Any way listen to Weird Al's song "Ill Sue Ya" and you'll hear much more silly cases such as this
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 AM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: Hopeful
Neoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with Confetti
Anybody anywhere could have drawn a picture of Mickey Mouse. If I had a pencil and paper, I could do one right now. This is just some crazy guy trying to scam someone out of a lot of money.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Droppin beats like hearts
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award 

BadgerHockey is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Its just some crazy guy who wants to make alot of money.
People do weird things for 2 million dollars like that.

Disney will so win, there are just too many holes in that dudes point.
`Hockey
Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Soccer 24/7
Awards Showcase
Your Favorite Attraction Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award 
Total Awards: 15

VIP
AceGoalkeeper ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
He wasted 1/3 of his life savings on this! wow.. A little to much for me, especially if they find enough evidence so that it's worth not much. But he REALLY believes it's worth quite a bit..which makes me laugh. There are so many things that ppl have pointed out that show it wasn't made that long ago!

- Ace
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Spooky Shadow

iShadow is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoteny View Post
Anybody anywhere could have drawn a picture of Mickey Mouse. If I had a pencil and paper, I could do one right now. This is just some crazy guy trying to scam someone out of a lot of money.
Well, there are lots of things that can prove he's right. Such as the ink's dating.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 AM
A-wocka-wocka!
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World 

My Mood: Hopeful
Neoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with ConfettiNeoteny is covered with Confetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoolio View Post
Well, there are lots of things that can prove he's right. Such as the ink's dating.
So, someone 60 years ago drew it. It still could have been anybody. Mickey Mouse had a lot of fans, even back then.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Yummy, Cinnamon.

Cinnamon Minuet is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Oh ahahahahahahaha ...... This guy seems like a con-artist(or an idiot....).....2 million....
I'm about to go draw Mickey Mouse on a piece of paper and do what this guy did.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Soccer 24/7
Awards Showcase
Your Favorite Attraction Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Halloween '09 Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award Smilie Story: The Beach Participant Award 
Total Awards: 15

VIP
AceGoalkeeper ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkATive911 View Post
Oh ahahahahahahaha ...... This guy seems like a con-artist.....2 million....
I'm about to go draw Mickey Mouse on a piece of paper and do what this guy did.
You won't get that far.. Neither will he.

- Ace