Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > Trading Post

Trading Post Arrange, Offer, Request Trading of Items, Pins and other things from Virtual Magic Kingdoms

Old SCAMS: Read this before you trade anything!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
single-serving friend

MrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundMrGenie has turned into a Bat and is flying around
SCAMS: Read this before you trade anything!

As far as I know, the vast majority of VMK scams fall into one of the following two categories:

1) Trading for codes. These types of trades will always be problematic because they cannot be conducted simultaneously (unlike trades that happen in the game). Whoever gives something away first must trust the other person to deliver the other part of the bargain after the trade. Additionally, the code portion of the trade typically has to happen outside of VMK which further complicates matters and makes the trade more risky.

How to avoid this scam: do not participate in sequential trades (trades where one portion can't be completed in the VMK trade window) with anyone you don't completely trust. There are a lot of trustworthy people out there with the items you are looking for. Be patient, and eventually you'll find someone you feel good about trading with!

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: they have rare items but they are using a guest account or are brand new to the forum (check their profile); the offer seems too good to be true; they refuse to let you try out the code first before taking your in-game items.

2) Clicking "Accept" too early. Apparently, there is a bug allows someone to remove something from the trade window at the last second after you click "Accept", and the trade goes through before you have a chance to accept again. Other versions of this involve people tricking you into accepting the wrong trade by putting something valuable in the trade window, filling the trade window with less valuable things, and then deleting the valuable item while it is off the screen. A third version occurs when you add your items to the trade window and click "Accept"...once you do this, all the other person has to do is click "Accept" and the trade will be completed--even if they haven't added anything to the trade window.

How to avoid this scam: be extremely careful before you click the "Accept" button. Review all items in the trade. A good rule of thumb is that you should always try to be the last person to click the "Accept" button in a trade.

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: the offer seems too good to be true; they keep adding and deleting things from the trade window or doing shady things with the "Accept" button; they try to rush you through the trade and act impatient if you are taking your time to review things.

Update: In an attempt to eliminate this type of scam, VMK has added a "Confirm" window that appears after both players click "Accept." Items cannot be added or removed from the "Confirm" window, so double-check that you are getting the right items and not being scammed!

-----------------------------------------------------

If either of these scams occurs to you, you need to report it to VMK IMMEDIATELY using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the VMK Home Page. VMK also has a great page on scamming on their website. VMK takes scamming very seriously, and the only way to shut down people who scam is to report them to VMK. VMK may also help you get your stuff back if they can prove you got scammed from the chat/trade logs, or if you traded with someone who has been reported by others. On the other hand, reporting scammers to the forum is not allowed because we can't prove anything here and it is considered flaming. If you do believe you were scammed by a forum member, please send me a PM and I will look into it privately.

Remember that there will always be new people to the game and the forum who will unfortunately try to scam other people. Fortunately, there are only a few types of successful scams, so once you know how these operate, it's pretty easy to avoid falling victim to a scam.

One last piece of advice: I have seen several people complain that they traded something and then the other person refused to trade them back a few minutes later. However, refusing a trade-back is not a scam...once you complete a trade, it's final. If someone decides to trade back with you, that is their decision, but it is also completely voluntary. For this reason, do not trade if there is any chance you will want a trade-back in the future...you should also avoid letting someone "test out" your magic pin or whatever since there is no way to force them to give it back.

Happy trading!

Last edited by MrGenie; 12-27-2005 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-16-2005, 12:47 AM
Registered+

rokntink is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Thanks for the tip Genie!

Paris
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 AM
VMK: CL_mackegirl

mackegirl is as Frosty as a Snowman
thanks! so much!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 AM
A passionate VMK fan.

raspberry611 is as Frosty as a Snowman
Great guide. Thanks MrGenie!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:06 AM
Yawn

heelflip ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
thanks alot now i will becareful when trading for codes unless i no and trust the person
Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 AM

Here Since Day 1 VIP
m0nk33b0y is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Sorry if this is spam but another thing with codes:

Trade codes with codes.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Registered+

rokntink is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I heard someone had a room called "Secret Codes" The description was..
Give me stuff. I give you secret codes for everything. Even magic carpet! Certain scammmer!

Sorry, I don't remember who it is..

Paris
Old 08-17-2005, 01:11 AM
kilic on vmk

jab1235 is spinning in a Cursed Storm
mr.geney (the cool cool man) rocks and i can beleave every word
__________________________________________________ _______________
never ever trade for code got me
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Evil Flower

My Mood: Adventurous
Xiris is floating through Inner Space
thank you for the tips!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Banned

CuteHaliey has turned into a sparkling Pirate!CuteHaliey has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Thx Genie u are the best!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Custom User Title =/.

RikuBlade has turned into a sparkling Pirate!RikuBlade has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Thx genie
Old 08-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Stitch Space Helmet Owner

CaptainBob is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Genie, u rock!

Last edited by GreatGatsby; 08-31-2005 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: excessive smilies
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I want to be an Imagineer

luvthatmouse is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
Be careful when trading teleporters.

They dont Always link.

When you trade a teleporter, someone may try to say, I want to trade back, that teleporter did not work. They may try to stick you with a non linking set.

Just be careful. Only trade with those you know or trust.

Maybe with codes and teleporters, we could have third party moderator trades. Both parties trade with the moderator, and then the moderator ( or community leader) could give the stuff to both traders.

Lisa
Yes, DH got a bad set of teleporters form a [name deleted- please report this to VMK] today. He traded black ears. He tried to get her to take the teleporters back and when the window was up she took the ears away really fast. Scammer!

Last edited by MrGenie; 08-18-2005 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: don't list names of alleged scammers; thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
That's pretty schweet.

PinkFrappuccino is as Frosty as a Snowman
Great tips, thanks so much!

Ugh, I feel sick. I just noticed how many people have tried to scam me in the past!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:26 PM
naruto and Eagles fan

staticfire ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
Talking works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
Be careful when trading teleporters.

They dont Always link.

When you trade a teleporter, someone may try to say, I want to trade back, that teleporter did not work. They may try to stick you with a non linking set.

Just be careful. Only trade with those you know or trust.

Maybe with codes and teleporters, we could have third party moderator trades. Both parties trade with the moderator, and then the moderator ( or community leader) could give the stuff to both traders.

Lisa

actually you have to put one in your room and one in his room