Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > VMK Gaming Archived Forums > VMK Players Discussion > VMK Ideas and Suggestions

VMK Ideas and Suggestions VMK Ideas and Suggestions - Discussions about your ideas for VMK

Old How to Keep it Rare and Release it to All

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Happy Holidays from us!

JazzyJelly is spinning in a Cursed Storm
I don't mind the release of items in a different color. But I really get so frustrated with people being so concerned about having to have rare items. People saying they are so angry or heartbroken over rereleases is difficult for me to hear. I have known anger and heartbreak but not over VMK, over stuff in real life. I guess its a matter of perspective.

We recently had a poll, and most of the people of VMKF have been around longer rather than shorter on VMK. I wonder how that colors perspectives here (the general perspective, not talking about individuals).

If your enjoyment of VMK depends on having rare items, then prepare to be heartbroken or angry on occasion.

Would I mind if I didn't have a certain color of a rare item (like flip or Minnie hat)? No, as others have mentioned it is more the style that I like. On the other hand, some of the more specialized hats are desirable as they are...(for us, I am thinking of the bird hat). I would love it if they made that more available (for someone who can't visit the parks) because my young son has wanted one since he started playing (still working on that one). (and for some of you who think, well just trade up, keep in mind that that is very difficult and time-consuming for the new player and yes, its our choice not to spend our whole lives on VMK trying to do so but many of you came at the items a lot easier).

I have rare items and I've said this before, I enjoy using them, wearing them, having them, whatever. If they rerelease them all TOMORROW, it won't affect my enjoyment of them at all.

Perspective, perspective, where you are on this issue seems to be fairly related to how long you've been on VMK (not saying always true but often true). Look at the poll about VMK tenure and you see how many people are new versus old here.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
< All my Pink dogs! :)
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

sunnyskye is floating through Inner Space
Well, some people like the items for the rareness too. Like wearing a Princess Hat, not many people have that, so when a different color comes out everybody will be wearing one, and they will no longer be unique. Also there are many different pairs of flips, but people really want the Green Flips, because it is rare.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I want to see The Eye!!!

Made In VMK is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Imagine.. Rainbow Princess.. Crown with diffrent jewels.. Crowns aren't really rare anymore almost everyone has them, I see poor people with them. People are tired of them and give them away in falling chairs as prize for fun or for free! That's another reason they should change style ir color.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Happy Holidays from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskye View Post
Well, some people like the items for the rareness too. Like wearing a Princess Hat, not many people have that, so when a different color comes out everybody will be wearing one, and they will no longer be unique. Also there are many different pairs of flips, but people really want the Green Flips, because it is rare.
what about the people who want green flips because they like the color green?

And made in VMK, yeah, I can understand that it is good to have varied items also...I am definitely NOT against them coming out with new items.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 PM
< All my Pink dogs! :)
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

sunnyskye is floating through Inner Space
Yes some people like the green too, but I know a lot of people want them because they are so rare.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Happy Holidays from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyskye View Post
Yes some people like the green too, but I know a lot of people want them because they are so rare.
Hee hee, no I'm not arguing with you. I know people seek them because they're rare. That's kind of the point, no? I get that! (i'm just saying you're kind of messed up (and you can substitute another word if you wish LOL) if you just like green.)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Perspective yes I agree. Let's look at it this way-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJelly View Post
(and for some of you who think, well just trade up, keep in mind that that is very difficult and time-consuming for the new player and yes, its our choice not to spend our whole lives on VMK trying to do so but many of you came at the items a lot easier).
Since you do not have the time to put in as is your choice,you feel that everything should be freely given/sold to all,even if those of us with it had to put in the time and effort to get it. We were all new once. Not a valid excuse.
Sometimes if you want something you work for it or go without. How it came easy to us - there I'm lost.
Personally I have never been to a Disney park since I have been on VMK.

Quote:
(Perspective, perspective, where you are on this issue seems to be fairly related to how long you've been on VMK (not saying always true but often true). Look at the poll about VMK tenure and you see how many people are new versus old here.
Let me see - new people want the stuff so in a poll they vote more for getting it. Not a surprising result.
Still my color sollution makes things available again for newer players while leaving something for players that have been on here longer.

And to all those that say to stop getting upset when an item returns, that is not what VMK is about - You are correct - to a point. It's not ALL about but it is part of it.These are also the people that line up to get the newly re-released item. If it didn't matter why are they voting on it's return?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Happy Holidays from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyth View Post
Perspective yes I agree. Let's look at it this way-

Since you do not have the time to put in as is your choice,you feel that everything should be freely given/sold to all,even if those of us with it had to put in the time and effort to get it. We were all new once. Not a valid excuse.
Sometimes if you want something you work for it or go without. How it came easy to us - there I'm lost.
Personally I have never been to a Disney park since I have been on VMK.

Let me see - new people want the stuff so in a poll they vote more for getting it. Not a surprising result.
Still my color sollution makes things available again for newer players while leaving something for players that have been on here longer.
I never said that everything should be freely given. I find that that is often how people with my view are misquoted in these threads. I said some rereleases. That is hardly everything being freely given.

Secondly, not everyone has hours and hours to spend acquiring items and trading up, nor can everyone get to a park. Many of us do do without because we can't or won't spend hours and hours a day on VMK. My point is not that we want EVERYTHING freely given to us. But some rereleases on occasion make SOME items accessible. I don't understand why that is so threatening to people. Just as you say I make the choice not to spend hours trying to trade up, you make the choice to do so when you know items can and do get rereleased. Either choice is just that, a choice. We all know the rereleases happen on occasion. We all make our choices despite that (or because of that, whatever).

My point about obtained easily is for those people who bought the rare items when they were initially released...i.e., who bought the green flips at Emporium for 25 credits (or whatever they were, its just an example). I DO know not everyone came at the rare items so easily, but some of you have. I know some people choose to spend time and energy trading up for them...I assume you do so because you enjoy that. That's fine, but it does come with risks of rerelease.

The survey I was talking about was NOT asking people if they wanted rerelease, it was the survey that previously asked VMK forums members how long they had been on VMK. If I wasn't so tired, I'd link to the thread. That survey showed that most VMKF members had been on VMK a long time, there were few new members like me. I am saying that VMKF is statistically skewed toward older members, it is not representative of the VMK community in general.

And lastly, hammer me if you will, but I agree with your original point...I have no objection to the releases being released in different colors. I think if you look through my many postings on the subject (and I know you have better things to do) you will see I'm really a "the more the merrier" kind of girl. I'd love a Minnie hat in a variety of colors.

good evening
Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks To Friends
Awards Showcase
Super Donation Award Happy Valentine's Day VMKF's Klingon Appreciation Day Design a Pin Winner's Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Super Donation Award Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

Born In Park VIP
mrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasuremrmyth ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Jazzy - I'm sorry that you are so often misquoted-

Quote:
everything should be freely given/sold to all
As far as the people that responded to the poll on how long were you a member of VMKF -
I never saw it nor do polls ring true with me since most are not an accurate sampling of the population. I never answer polls and many do not answer/or happen to see each one on a certain day it's up. Time of membership is a relative thing to each. Most I was used to seeing on here have moved on or stopped posting, so to me it appears that there are more new members than old.
Your other point that many have come across rare very easily, by being in the right place at the right time basically, (very few players have green flips which is why they are rare). So just because a new person comes late to the party they deserve to get everything that was ever available?
I get the impression you consider yourself fairly new or at least in time spent on VMK. Where you here during pirates month? Did you buy a costume or two? Welcome to how you build up to get something rare you want down the road. Maybe someone missed the costume or even might be a "New Player" but gets to WDW and has quest to trade.
Really I'm not hammering on you Jazz - Please do not take it as so. You are only person offering a different view, and it's a welcome thing to see. Nobody has to agree with anyone - but they can talk about it.
Good luck Jazz on getting your son's hat. I just hope it's through trades or a different color.

And on a related topic - Lets welcome in Tiki Month with the re-release of the Pan Hat -
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I like to whisper too!!
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 

My Mood: Baffled
snowegoof has disabled reputation
Thats a great idea. You should send it in so VMK doesn't keep getting hate mail. But either way, people are so rude nowadays they dont appreciate anything VMK does.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM
oooh. wowiieee
Awards Showcase
Arcade Winner Expert Relocator Participants Award Arcade Winner Mod Match Winners Happy St. Patrick's Day Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

My Mood: Baffled
Mintypal is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Nice Idea I Like it
Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Happy Holidays from us!

Quote:
Jazzy - I'm sorry that you are so often misquoted-

As far as the people that responded to the poll on how long were you a member of VMKF -
I never saw it nor do polls ring true with me since most are not an accurate sampling of the population. I never answer polls and many do not answer/or happen to see each one on a certain day it's up. Time of membership is a relative thing to each. Most I was used to seeing on here have moved on or stopped posting, so to me it appears that there are more new members than old.
Your other point that many have come across rare very easily, by being in the right place at the right time basically, (very few players have green flips which is why they are rare). So just because a new person comes late to the party they deserve to get everything that was ever available?
I get the impression you consider yourself fairly new or at least in time spent on VMK. Where you here during pirates month? Did you buy a costume or two? Welcome to how you build up to get something rare you want down the road. Maybe someone missed the costume or even might be a "New Player" but gets to WDW and has quest to trade.
Really I'm not hammering on you Jazz - Please do not take it as so. You are only person offering a different view, and it's a welcome thing to see. Nobody has to agree with anyone - but they can talk about it.
Good luck Jazz on getting your son's hat. I just hope it's through trades or a different color.

And on a related topic - Lets welcome in Tiki Month with the re-release of the Pan Hat -
I understand how to trade up I get it. I do buy extra costumes and other items on occasion. I have traded. Rereleases still don't bother me. It doesn't change my enjoyment of the game. There will always be some new people who miss even new releases and those trades remain viable (if perhaps less lucrative).

You misquoted me again when you said the following "they deserve to get everything that was ever available?" I never said that (and if I wanted to quibble I would ask you to show you where I said that). Rather in all of these threads I say, "some rereleases on occasion". That is unfair to me, that you change my argument for me. (I am not saying this to be mean, you aren't the only one who has done it.)

I also welcome the discussion. I just believe in speaking up especially when what I'm saying is being misconstrued.

As to the poll, thing, I know polls aren't representative but that cuts both ways. I still believe that there is an overabundance of older versus new here compared to the actual VMK game. But yes, the poll won't give you actual percentages (btw, the poll grouped people by actual join date in 6-month groupings so it wasn't just how people characterize themselves, it sought an actual start date). I notice many older people on VMK here who have a lot of "rare"; you notice a lot of newer people. Very subjective, yes.

Thank you for the well wishes for my son...yes, I mull over how to get him a hat often and I do think over trades I can do...he has been without one for awhile and I expect he will continue to be without him for awhile more although you never know, maybe something will make sense to us trade-wise. My point in mentioning his hat though is that the bird hat seems different from a Princess Minnie in that its not so easy to change the color of that...but perhaps there is another creative way it can be tweaked to make it different but still attractive as a bird hat to him.

I appreciate the discussion too (and while I'm happy to acquire another older hat in VMK, truthfully the Pan hat wasn't one of my favorites LOL but I suppose the children will like). Already had the Karo and fountains but woot on the Tiki room!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Dont be afraid
Awards Showcase
Design a Pin Participation's Award Expert Relocator Participants Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 6

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Cautious
TBs_Creation is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
. I would love it if they made that more available (for someone who can't visit the parks) because my young son has wanted one since he started playing (still working on that one) .
Jazzy go to Disney Mail. Get the full pirate quest including bird hat. For 15 bucks though
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Happy Holidays from us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterkate View Post
Jazzy go to Disney Mail. Get the full pirate quest including bird hat. For 15 bucks though
seriously? i will check it out!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered+

My Mood: Question
Whipstersh is floating through Inner Space
I remember a few months ago everyone was flaming VMK because of making items of different colors. There were threads that said VMK wasn't even trying anymore and that they had "lack of creativity" because all they were doing was releasing the same items, but in different colors.