Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old How to Make Outlined Transparent Text on GIMP

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Surrender
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
How to Make Outlined Transparent Text on GIMP

Okay, this is a tutorial for all those who want to know how to outline text on GIMP. Its fairly simple, and the results are always good.

Step 1.

Open up a new, blank document in GIMP. Make it transparent, too. I make mine 400X200, but you can make it whatever you like. It should look like this:

Step 2.

Go to the text tool and select the size, font, and color of your text. Then write it out. When your done, press enter right before the first letter and the go down to it and press space. It'll make the word not get cut off. It should look something like this:

Step 3.

Okay, now in the text tool thing, press Path from Text. Then go to Select>From Path. Your text should have a white outline around it. It should look like this:

Step 4.

Now, go to Select>Grow. A box should come up. Put 3 in the first box. Leave the second one alone. Then go to the Blend Tool and make the mode Behind. then select the colors you want to use for your outline. MAKE SURE THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. Then just pull the tool accross the text and there ya go, Transparent Outlined text! Then from here, press Select>None, merge down, and crop it. It should look like this:

Hope everything worked out for ya! And remember to post your results!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 AM
Birth By Sleep <3
Awards Showcase
Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Happy Valentine's Day Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Patriot 2009 Award Happy St. Patrick's Day Happy Valentine's Gumshoe Award 
Total Awards: 10

My Mood: Ethereal
Kairi_Sora is as Frosty as a Snowman
Thanks! I've been wondering how you make it outlined
Here's my result!:
Old 01-31-2009, 03:00 AM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Winner's Award Graphics Trio Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 

Here Since Day 1 VIP
BuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with ConfettiBuzzBoy133 is covered with Confetti
Awesome! Thats great! Now you can add affects to it to make it look even more intense!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 AM
I'm cool...
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Patriot 2009 Award Mod Match Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Trivia Winner 
Total Awards: 6

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: VMK
Aggie is floating through Inner Space
Great tutorial!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Heyyy?
Awards Showcase
Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Graphics Trio Participant Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 4

My Mood: VMKForumsAddict
MyBirdHat is as Frosty as a Snowman
I'm pretty sure I did it right...
I just can't figure out how to put a background on it.

mybirdhat.gif
haaaapppyy new yearr:]
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
disco pogo
Awards Showcase

Here Since Day 1 VIP
With this theres not supposed to be a background on it. It's suppose to be transparent. And I think you forgot to crop it.