Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > The Other Magic Kingdoms

The Other Magic Kingdoms Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, all the other Disney parks looking for a forum of their own

Old New show on the DCL!

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
New show on the DCL!

Straight from the Orlando Sentinal. There is a lot to read, but it's full of info and jokes. :

Quote:
The result, set to be announced today by Disney executives, is a multimillion-dollar musical version of Toy Story, the 1995 Disney-Pixar animated film that shrank moviegoers' perspective to the size of Mr. Potato Head and company.

Toy Story -- The Musical will debut in April aboard the Disney Wonder cruise ship. It's the latest entry in Disney's expansive live-theater network that launched in 1993 with the purchase of a Broadway theater and has grown to include full-blown, movie-based Broadway musicals such as The Lion King, Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast.

The genesis of the Toy Story musical, said creative director Matt Almos, starts with the success of Finding Nemo -- The Musical, which debuted last year at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando. Both are shorter, smaller-scale productions tailored by the company to specific audiences.

"The cruise ship and the parks are an incredible vehicle for introducing millions of kids to theater," said Anne Hamburger, executive vice president of Disney Creative Entertainment, which produces shows, parades and other entertainment for Disney Cruise Line and Disney's 11 theme parks worldwide.

Hamburger, whose background includes her own New York theater company, isn't the only heavy-hitter on the Toy Story musical project.

John Lasseter, the Oscar-winning director/creator of the Toy Story films, was involved even before the script was written.

And designer Michael Curry, the Tony-winning co-creator of the elaborate puppets for Broadway's The Lion King, developed the ground-breaking inflatable costumes.

With so much money and effort invested, it's possible the show may be headed to the Caribbean and beyond.

"There may be opportunities to do this elsewhere," Hamburger said.

Regardless, Toy Story -- The Musical will be a giant undertaking that unfolds in the small confines of a cruise ship.

The show must maintain the plot and action of the movie without the benefit of its award-winning computer animation.

Creative touches, including large, inflatable puppets as key characters and projections upon backdrops, save valuable space.

The Wonder's theater seats an audience of nearly 1,000, but its wings and storage areas for sets, props and costumes are compact.

"You can't open the door and find an extra room," said Hamburger. "The extra room is the ocean."

Buzz Lightyear sings

Last month, in a downtown Toronto space -- one free of exterior Disney markings -- show director Stefan Novinski guides the cast of 16 actors through rehearsals.

Noel Orput, as delusional space ranger toy Buzz Lightyear, belts out a baritone "To Infinity and Beyond" song.

The stirring, call-to-arms number wins the trust of other toys, including Slinky Dog, dinosaur Rex, Hamm the piggy bank, a few Green Army Men and tumbling residents of a Barrel of Monkeys. Bo Peep looks on with admiration.

In costume, Hamm and the 9-foot-tall Rex sport hard heads and soft, vinyl, inflated bodies. Fans keep the garb blown up and the actors inside cool.

"We all thought Rex was going to be the hard one," said co-costume designer Ann Closs-Farley. "But ultimately it was Buzz." That character must dance, climb blocks, strike heroic poses and fly (via harness) four times.
Rex, Hamm and Slinky (one actor in the head, one actor in the tail) have movable parts, including blinking eyes, raise-ready eyebrows and mouths, controlled by the performers inside.

Mr. Potato Head is outfitted with a nose, mustache and ears that eject plus a spinning hat.

"He's got a lot of frills and tricks," Hamburger said.

Actor Geoffrey Tyler is on board with his look as the lanky cowboy doll, Woody.

"It's just a really cool costume that makes me look like a Woody doll," he said. "I've got the most beautiful boots in show business."

Details down to the buttons

Lasseter, the father of Toy Story, provided guidance from big picture to tiny detail.

He suggested adding Hamm to the mix after early versions left out the character. And he even made notes that costumers should "make Woody's buttons bigger."

Although he was cynical at first, Hamburger said, he embraced the story as a musical.

"He feels this music fits Toy Story like a glove," Almos said.

Husband-wife, composer-lyricist team Brendan Milburn and Valerie Vigoda, part of the Brooklyn-based group GrooveLily, created original songs to fit with the stylings of the film's signature song, Randy Newman's "You've Got a Friend in Me," which kicks off the new musical.

The duo are Disney newbies.

"From the very beginning, it was very hands-on," Milburn said. "It was new for us to have so many people involved."

"Everyone here is very smart and gives good notes," Vigoda said, recalling one specific request for less bassoon.

Her favorite number is "Make a Little Noise," a heavy metal/bossa nova hybrid sung by the vicious Sid, a kid who tortures toys. One lyric: "I'm the da Vinci of destruction!"

"Sid's not a bad kid. He has a warped sense of fun," Vigoda said. "What he is doing is not destroying but creating a new piece of art."

Next stop: Port Canaveral

Next stop for Toy Story -- The Musical is Port Canaveral in preparation for its April debut.

The cast and crew has a two-week, at-sea rehearsal period to work out technical aspects such as "flying" and the appearance of "the claw" in a pivotal scene with the alien dolls inside an arcade game at Pizza Planet.

Their song, featuring a platoon of puppets, is a monotone song of praise.

"It's like Queen meets ***** Christ Superstar with a little bit of the Chipmunks sprinkled in there," Almos said.
New show, Toy Story on the DCL. Should be good, and it's replacing Twice Charmed... which is, of course, what happened after happily ever after.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Wish -Bigger Friends List
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Mega PM Donation Award 
Total Awards: 2

Poohdent is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Cool story thx for sharing with those of us not close enough to read the Orlando Sentinal
Old 01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award 
Total Awards: 1

iImagine ’s Autopia has run out of gas
This is a joke, right?

"Anne Hamburger"?

EDIT: I looked it up... it's real. Really strange - I wonder how they'll pull this off... I've never been on a cruise before but now I have to go on one @_@.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Go visit the wiki! ;)
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Happy St. Patrick's Day 2010 Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award 
Total Awards: 10

VIP
TravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureTravisSch ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Woot! I love DCL and I love Toy Story! I should start begging my mom to book a cruise again. ROFL

Check out my VMK memory that was featured in the VMK Newsletter right here.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?

AlexKZ is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Ooh, a new show! I'd like to see it. Sad that Twice Charmed is being taken away, I liked it.

Time to go book another cruise! XD

:icecibe: AlexKZ
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Miracle from Molecules
Awards Showcase
Golden Years Award Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Private Message Donation Award 
Total Awards: 4

Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!Schmoofy has Levitated to new heights!
If this comes out to be anything like Finding Nemo The Musical is at DAK, I'm 110% for it!

The 21st Century Began October 1st, 1982
Happy 25th, Epcot!
DisneysOnlineWorlds | Policies and Disclaimers | Current DOW Projects
FAQ | IRC Guide | mIRC Guide
Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still seeking info on what Twice Charmed is doing.
Is Twice Charmed only on the Magic, and this is on the Wonder? I think maybe DCL are putting different shows on different ships to get people to go on both?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Guardian-Figment

Chirpin ’s Invisible pin is 5* - Spooky!
hey
i have the soundtrack for these songs
im like 99.9% positive i have the songs they are using
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the Jungle...
Awards Showcase
Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 1

TheFireworkZach is spinning in a Cursed Storm
Well, it sounds good, but I don't think it would be good enough to go through the very short 3 and 4 day cruises. 7 days are perfect and the more the better. lol

I'm going on my 3rd cruise (my second Disney) on the Disney Magic in October so it will be interesting to see what happens with everything and I wonder what has changed since when I went on my cruise in 2004. Can't wait for the Golden Mickey's.

- Zach