Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > VMK Game Forums > Project: SAVE VMK!

Project: SAVE VMK! General Discussion about VMK closing!

Old Any New News?

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:46 PM
.. something u drink from
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Design an Outfit Participation's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Guess the Picture Winner's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Piratey
Straws is as Frosty as a Snowman
Post Any New News?

I was wondering if anyone had heard any new news on VMK or any possible rumors floating around.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Here From Day 1
Awards Showcase
2010 Holiday Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Happy Holidays'09 Award Xmas Wishlist '09 
Total Awards: 4

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: Disney
zephr is spinning in a Cursed Storm
No, dude. I'd say it's gone for good at this point. Sorry, man...

Fortuosity, that's me by-word.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I <3 Disneyland
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: BDay
Broccolisprout is floating through Inner Space
At the point it's gone for 5 years, I'd say it's not coming back. Some Disney employee could be thinking "Hmmm.... maybe we should re-open VMK. It seemed to go over well..."

You just never know.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 PM
The Scene and Herd...
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award Your Favorite Attraction Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Which Disney Character Participant's Award Spooky Scribe Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: Baffled
KEBSD is as Frosty as a Snowman
The longer VMK has been closed, the more plausible it would be to reopen it. Think about it. All the complaints that they recieved right after its closing could easily be waved off as "overreaction", and "they'll forget about it soon". But if they recieve all these complaints now, they will realize that we have not forgotten. It was not something that we could just get over. If we haven't moved on by this point, chances are we won't move on any time soon... more the reason to reopen the game.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Bizzlebits Haha
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Patriot 2010 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 26

Here Since Day 1
My Mood: VMK
Baconbits is floating through Inner Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
The longer VMK has been closed, the more plausible it would be to reopen it. Think about it. All the complaints that they recieved right after its closing could easily be waved off as "overreaction", and "they'll forget about it soon". But if they recieve all these complaints now, they will realize that we have not forgotten. It was not something that we could just get over. If we haven't moved on by this point, chances are we won't move on any time soon... more the reason to reopen the game.
Took the words right out of my mouth....well, what i was about to type. : )
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
VMK will most likely not return. Disney released VMK as a promotion, it was a huge success, but Disney had different plans. Instead of making VMK a pay-to-play, they shut it down and split the gaming audience into several different pay-to-play games. They bought Club Penguin in August '07, launched POTCO in October '07, and by the time they closed VMK in May of the next year, they were ready with Pixie Hollow in September and Cars Online in October.

Now why didn't Disney make VMK a pay-to-play? It's not clear to me. Maybe there was a problem with Sulake, maybe they didn't see VMK's financial potential, maybe they just wanted to "move on," I don't know. But clearly, Disney split VMK's old audience by gender by herding the girls to Pixie Hollow and the guys to Cars Online. If VMK'ers didn't care for either, they could always flock to Pirates, Club Penguin, or perhaps Toontown (if for some reason they hadn't already tried it).

We don't exactly know why it closed, but it did. And it's been closed for 2 years. The majority of VMK'ers have moved on to a new MMORPG. Disney's goal was accomplished. And they're not looking back.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Registered+
Awards Showcase
VMK Memories Award 
Total Awards: 1

VIP
My Mood: SaveVMK
ThrillJacob is as Frosty as a Snowman
There are a few signs floating around that Disney decided that their quantity over quality business plan isn't going to work. What this means is that they want our ideas to improve their business. This could be a great opportunity to try to revive something of a Save VMK Movement.

A quick theory: Disney's business plan consisted of creating many MMOs that acted as social networks. These would each reach a small target market, resulting in a community that is not very diverse. Think back to VMK's community for a second. There were people of all ages, who played the game for numerous reasons. This means that Disney has not been developing a parks based MMO to replace VMK in the time since its closing. If anything, it was started recently, which means that they probably haven't spent enough money on it yet where they would have to continue the project. There is still some time where we can tell Disney that we want VMK, not some other MMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerRyan View Post
We don't exactly know why it closed, but it did. And it's been closed for 2 years. The majority of VMK'ers have moved on to a new MMORPG. Disney's goal was accomplished. And they're not looking back.
Actually, based on the video where WDIG discussed the social networking MMO plan, it was quite evident that VMK did not fit into their agenda. It reached a wide market, meaning that A) the community was likely not well connected (though this was not the case) and B) Disney wouldn't make as much money. Why play a game where you can be a Pirate and another where you can be in the Cars movies when you can play one game where you can do those and many more?

Last edited by Jezzi; 06-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: removed outside link
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillJacob View Post
There are a few signs floating around that Disney decided that their quantity over quality business plan isn't going to work. What this means is that they want our ideas to improve their business. This could be a great opportunity to try to revive something of a Save VMK Movement.
What signs?

Quote:
A quick theory: Disney's business plan consisted of creating many MMOs that acted as social networks. These would each reach a small target market, resulting in a community that is not very diverse. Think back to VMK's community for a second. There were people of all ages, who played the game for numerous reasons. This means that Disney has not been developing a parks based MMO to replace VMK in the time since its closing. If anything, it was started recently, which means that they probably haven't spent enough money on it yet where they would have to continue the project.
Disney clearly does not want diversity, as they split VMK'ers by gender with the creation of Pixie Hollows and Cars Online, so why would they go back? There's not a big enough demand for it to return; most VMK'ers have moved on at this point.

Quote:
There is still some time where we can tell Disney that we want VMK, not some other MMO.
There will always be time for people to tell Disney what they want, but they're not likely to listen to the minority.

Quote:
Actually, based on the video where WDIG discussed the social networking MMO plan, it was quite evident that VMK did not fit into their agenda. It reached a wide market, meaning that A) the community was likely not well connected (though this was not the case) and B) Disney wouldn't make as much money. Why play a game where you can be a Pirate and another where you can be in the Cars movies when you can play one game where you can do those and many more?
Agreed, VMK did not fit in Disney's agenda so they closed it down. Disney's agenda was to create multiple pay-to-play MMORPG's, each targeting different portions of their broad gaming audience. In their minds, VMK had too big of an audience for one single game.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 AM
.. something u drink from
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Design an Outfit Participation's Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Guess the Picture Winner's Award Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Which Disney Character Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 13

My Mood: Piratey
Straws is as Frosty as a Snowman
Hmmm... i wish it would reopen. thats the only game i played for hours on the computer <3
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 AM
WDW lover :)
Awards Showcase
EKB Day Award Halloween'11 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 26

My Mood: Disney
GoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureGoodPolarGirl ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Nope, haven't heard anything. Even if there were rumors floating around, I wouldn't want to hear them.