Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Magic Kingdoms > Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World I went to Florida and all I got was this stupid T-shirt with a mouse on it...

Old Manatees at Animal Kingdom

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Red Flips Rule!
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Carol Parody Winner's Award Epitaph Winner's Award 
Total Awards: 39

VIP
My Mood: RedFlips
StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!StitchMad has Levitated to new heights!
Manatees at Animal Kingdom

Just got this through from the Disney Parks official blog. Thought it was cute and just stresses how good of a job those at the Animal Kingdom do!

One manatee being treated, one being set free, plus a fantastic report of one set free a year ago. It's all well and good at The Seas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Parks Blog
Seas Team Welcomes Rescued Manatee, Returns Another to the Wild

One of the many conservation efforts undertaken by Disney’s Animal Programs team members is rehabilitating and returning to the wild rescued manatees. With only 5,000 around the state, manatees are considered an endangered species in Florida. During the past few weeks, the team welcomed to The Seas with Nemo & Friends a rescued manatee, released another that they rehabilitated, and received a fantastic report on a manatee that the team returned to the wild a year ago.

This week, the team welcomed to The Seas rescued manatee, Jasper, who weighs 632 pounds and is 6-foot-8-inches long. The team expects Jasper to be released back into the wild in about a year, after he has gained weight and received medical care for cold stress. Guests can see Jasper (right in above photo) and resident manatee, Lou, when they visit Epcot.

Last month, Animal Programs team members returned to its natural habitat in Brevard County another rescued manatee, Kringle. In the photo, the team is fitting Kringle with a satellite tracking belt to follow his movements. During his 14-month rehabilitation at The Seas, Kringle received treatment and therapy and weighed more than 800 pounds when he was released.

Animal Programs team members released another manatee, Bock, last year after the mammal, which had been rescued as a calf, spent six years undergoing care at The Seas. On February 27, his satellite tracking belt was removed after being used to track his movements during his first year after release. The team reports that Bock looks fantastic and has done extremely well readapting to living in the wild in the St. John’s River area.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I <3 Disneyland
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Halloween'10 Award 2010 Holiday Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 18

Born In Park Clan Leader Here Since Day 1 VIP
My Mood: BDay
Broccolisprout is floating through Inner Space
Aw, the manatees are so cute! I'm glad Disney is doing this
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
VMK_Lion's #1 Fan!
Awards Showcase
Talk Like A Pirate Day 2011 Halloween'11 Award Patriot 2011 Award EKB Day Award St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 
Total Awards: 50

My Mood: Happy
MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!MLKnCookies has turned into a sparkling Pirate!
Wow, that is such a wonderful thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Anyone can believe.
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Trivia Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Amuzed
acefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Awww. Another great thing done by Disney to help the world!

- ace
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned
Awards Showcase
Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 2010 Holiday Award Epitaph Participant's Award Halloween'10 Award Caption Contest Participant's Award Patriot 2010 Award VMK Memories Award 2010 
Total Awards: 28

My Mood: AFK
Vivi is Buried in TreasureVivi is Buried in Treasure
This is awesome! And manatees are so cute! XD
Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
You've got a friend in me
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Guess the Picture Winner's Award VMK Memories Award Expert Relocator Winners Award Caption Contest Participant Happy Valentine's Joy To The World Halloween '08 Participation Award 
Total Awards: 8

My Mood: LiveChat
fantasyforever is as Frosty as a Snowman
/me ^5's Disney.

Good Job