Virtual Magic Kingdom Community Fansite
VMK Forums | Disney | Virtual Magic Kingdom (Official Site)
VMK Forums Home VMK Forums VMK Forums Gallery Arcade User Control Panel Register! Members Lose Your Marbles? Click Here! Search VMK Forums

Go Back   VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite > Other > Arts, Creativity, Sigs, & Avatars > Paint By Numbers

Paint By Numbers Post your tutorial and how-to guides here for the art community!

Old Rubix Cube

Login or Register now to see less ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm so 2008 Your 200LATE
Awards Showcase
Happy Valentine's Day Award VMK Memories Award 2010 Patriot 2009 Award VMK Memories Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 5

My Mood: Artistic
Kyris is floating through Inner Space
Rubix Cube

1) Open Gimp with a new image 300x300px (white background is ok).
2) Fill the background with a checkboard pattern (Filters / Render / Pattern / Checkboard). Size 100px.
You should get something like this:

3) Now we will make a grid. Go to Filters / Edge-Detect / Edge
Algorithm: Sobel
Amount: 2
Smear

4) Invert the colors (Colors / Invert)

5) Now we have a black grid on a white background and we want to make a border around the image.
Go to Image / Canvas size. (304x304px)

6) Select the Move tool (M on keyboard) and center the image. If you are able to handle this step with a mouse than ok, but I used arrows on my keyboard, twice right and twice down.

7) Now create a new layer. Select Bucket fill tool (Shift+B), Select all image (Ctrl+A) and fill the image with black. Than move this new black layer down and deselect all (Ctrl+Shift+A). You should get this result:

8) Now fill the image with some random colors, i used these (green [307617], blue [173d76], red [ff0000], white [ffffff], yellow [aecb0e]). After that, merge the layer down so you get only one layer.

9) Now we are going to make a cube. (Filters / Map / Map object) Use following values, but feel free to change it :p

Options/Map to: Box
Options/Transparent background checked
Options/Enable antialiasing (default)
Light/Lightsource type: Point light
Orientation/Position (default)
Orientation/Rotation
X: 30,0
Y: 45,0
Z: 0,0

10) Voila, the cube is done, but you can continue with 3 more steps to make it better :p.

11) Go to a dialog with layers, right-click on the layer you have there (there should be only one now) and click Alhpa to selection. Than go Select, Grow (1px). Create a new layer, fill it black and move it down. Deselect all (Ctrl+Shift+A).

12) Go to Filters / Light and Shadow / Drop Shadow. (0, 0, 8, black, opacity 80)

13) Add a new layer and move it on the bottom. Create some gradient, something like this, which is the final result:

Did anyone figure it out?