View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Spooky Shadow

iShadow is floating through Inner Space
VMK Guide: Trading Tips

Hiya!
I'm not sure if anyone did this before, but with all the Price is Right threads, I think I should try to help clarify some things in trades.
First off, there are many guides to trading that may make your trade a sucessful trade

1. Be Respectful and Politeful Throughout the Trade.
You'll be surprised how far a please and thank you will go. If you retain a happy and positive personality, that will bounce off you and reflect in your surroundings. Translation: Be nice, and you'll get nice.

2. Don't Offer Foolishly.
Don't offer too much or too little. Too much stuff may overwhlem a person into scamming you, and you'll be sorry later. Too little stuff may insult a player, and the trade will end right there and then. Be sure to offer just the right amount.

3.Be Sure.
If you don't know about a trade, don't do it until you are sure. Don't let the other trader pressure into doing the trade, because you might regret it later. To be sure of a trade, talk to your closest virtual friends, or ask this site.

4. Consider All The Factors
Other than rarity, there are more factors to consider while trading:
  • Supply and Demand
    Supply could be limited, and few of the item you seek are in stock. This pushes you to offer more for an item. But, once obtained, when you trade it, other people will too, in turn, offer alot.
  • VOI (Value of Interest)
    This is an important factor. Even if an item isn't very rare, what happens if you need it? Or really want it? And also, VOI will greatly change the trade, for example: Someone offers a really rare beta piece for your Sparrow Suit. But would you rather have a mesely Black Candle, or a suit that you can take whereever you want? Same thing goes if you're trading something to another player who wants it, they'll offer more. Also, VOI is similar to demand. If you trade for something high in demand, expect it to get you really rare items in the future.
  • TP (Trading Probability)
    This is also similar to the demand factor. Sometimes a player would be less likely to trade your desired item because of either it's rarity, low supply, or the player just plains like the item. In that manner, offers would be increased in order to persuade that player to trade his or her item. So, basically, you might have to give a bit more not becuase of raity, but to increase the TP.
5. Safety and Precautions
There are alot of scammers out there, so you have to watch out. I have been cheated many times before, becuase I was too gullible. There are many things scammers prey on:
  • Multiple Trade Boxes
    If you are trading a massive amount of items, and it take several full trade boxes, be sure to always get something in return for each trade box. Also, make sure that item is equivilent to the value of all your items in the trade box. In that way, even if the trader runs, you'll have something in return. As for the help of exchanging by using a third party member, at least use a CL. But even CL's might run with both your items.
  • Our Plain Stupidity
    Stupidity, a human flaw. It's nothing to be ashamed of (though you should try to be smart for you case), but it can get you in trouble. Most scammers rely on you not knowing the worth of your items, or of what you're trading for. Always watch out for that.

Well that's my guide Hope I did something good for VMK. Please comment and correct me on anything I did wrong, or anything in your opinion you'd like to point out. Thank you for reading this.

Last edited by iShadow; 03-13-2007 at 06:23 PM..