Thread: Conflicted.
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Noise amongst the static
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2009 Award Joy To The World Signature Donation Award 
Total Awards: 3

My Mood: SaveVMK
LordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying aroundLordIllidan has turned into a Bat and is flying around
Conflicted.

So, as a fair amount of you probably know, I was a huge supporter of the Save VMK movement for the past year or so, and to this day, I am still supportive of any attempts to have our voices heard.

Lately though, I'm just... I dunno. I'm not really feeling it anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's important for kids and adults alike to realize that they can have their voices heard no matter what if they just take the time to stop and think how, but...

Honestly, I'm starting to question whether it's possible to recover from our current situation. Not because I don't believe Disney will refuse to listen, but because, well... Just look at it. The Save VMK movement is at a total standstill right now. Whoever's still shouting have shouted themselves hoarse to the point where there's nothing new to say (Me included), and our forces have dwindled to nothing more than a whisper amongst a sea of noise.

There's another VMK fansite I'm sure I've mentioned more than once, where they have the most active members around, but none of them seem to have any interest in VMK anymore, and many of them even actively shun those that try to bring it back. I took a quick visit to their Closure-related subforum today out of curiosity, and there was a single new thread trying to rally people together for just one more email blast. And, while those that would discourage him were far less vicious than what I remember (Even they don't care much, I suppose...)... It was clear that it wouldn't get far. I wanted to post up there as well that I thought this, because nobody there clearly WANTS VMK back, and those elsewhere that do seem to have nothing to say anymore. But... I didn't really have the heart for that. How could I? I'd only be helping to crush his hopes, no?

I ended up leaving that thread without saying a thing.

What happened? We were so loud before. We even made it on a bunch of newspapers and local news programs, and almost scored a spot on CNN once. But now there's not even echoes bouncing around here anymore.

I don't know. I feel bad. I'm still supportive of this, and I still think that it's theoretically within our reach. But, that's just it. Only theoretical. My optimism is finally starting to slip, and even I'm not shouting much anymore.

I've been told that I've been somewhat of an inspiration to fellow Save VMK'ers in the past. I think it may be time I must hope someone will return the favor.

I will walk heavy, and I will walk strange.