View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM
aka Priz
Awards Showcase
Patriot 2011 Award Joy To The World 
Total Awards: 2

prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!prisoner has Levitated to new heights!
Game Results - 17 March 2006

I had to go to my corned beef and cabbage last night, so I only had an hour to play. It was also a pretty quiet night - didn't get a lot of people coming in. But in the hour I was there we had 10 games, and 8 people won those games:
  • LittleAdventureA (4 guesses)
  • Bog.Frog (5 guesses)
  • Guest2311930 (5 guesses)
  • ChewBracha (5 guesses)
  • Tykef (3 guesses)
  • thecoolthecool (5 guesses)
  • yellowchimp (3 guesses)
  • CL_LuxoJr (3 guesses)

3 of these had two matches on their first try, so overall it was a pretty lucky evening for people.

Let's look at one of these. The player did ultimately win, but had a little problem figuring it out. They thought their last guess was a real guess - let's see why they should have known they had really won.

Guess 1: 555
Result: 2 hits, 1 miss
This is getting to be a popular kind of first guess, it seems. That's fine. As long as you know what to do with the results. They even got lucky that they found it on the first try.

Guess 2: 545
Result: 1 hit, 1 near, 1 miss
Clearly this person had read my last examples, and was taking the message to heart. Since they knew two 5s were correct, they went to figure out where they were and what the other scoreboard was. This guess tells them two things: (1) where the 5s were (2) that 4 isn't the other value

Guess 3: 553
Ok, so it isn't 3.

Guess 4: 552
And it isn't 2.

Now, at this point the person stopped and tried to think. This was kinda frustrating for me, partly because I needed to leave soon, and partly because the answer should have been very obvious. Do you see why?

They didn't know if it was 1, 3, or 4. We know it isn't 3 because we tested that. We know it isn't 4 because, although we didn't test it in this place, guess 2 only had two that were hits or near, and we are using both of those 5s. So it must be 1! Perhaps they were messing with us.

Guess 5: 551
Results: 3 hits!

That's all for now. Hope I'll be able to run it a decent ammount this weekend, and I hope y'all come on down to play. See you then!

You are now leaving Prizkneeland, home of
please fasten your reality belts

preserving VMK for a future that will understand it.

Power to the Players!