Thread: Any New News?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
VMK will most likely not return. Disney released VMK as a promotion, it was a huge success, but Disney had different plans. Instead of making VMK a pay-to-play, they shut it down and split the gaming audience into several different pay-to-play games. They bought Club Penguin in August '07, launched POTCO in October '07, and by the time they closed VMK in May of the next year, they were ready with Pixie Hollow in September and Cars Online in October.

Now why didn't Disney make VMK a pay-to-play? It's not clear to me. Maybe there was a problem with Sulake, maybe they didn't see VMK's financial potential, maybe they just wanted to "move on," I don't know. But clearly, Disney split VMK's old audience by gender by herding the girls to Pixie Hollow and the guys to Cars Online. If VMK'ers didn't care for either, they could always flock to Pirates, Club Penguin, or perhaps Toontown (if for some reason they hadn't already tried it).

We don't exactly know why it closed, but it did. And it's been closed for 2 years. The majority of VMK'ers have moved on to a new MMORPG. Disney's goal was accomplished. And they're not looking back.

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!