View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 PM
Anyone can believe.
Awards Showcase
Halloween'11 Award 2010 Holiday Award Make A Wish Award Talk Like A Pirate Day 2010 Trivia Winner Xmas Wishlist '09 Happy Holidays'09 Award Golden Years Award 
Total Awards: 15

My Mood: Amuzed
acefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasureacefredfred ’s Treasure Detector keeps finding some exciting treasure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterToad
For months now I have been meaning to post instructions on how to make a video of VMK. Today I finally got around to doing it. There are many tools available for recording what is on your screen. In this tutorial I will describe how to make a video using the free Windows Media Encoder. These instructions assume you are running Windows XP.

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused to your computer. I have performed the steps outlined below on my own computer without any problems, but if your hard drive crashes or your monitor explodes, it's not my fault.

1. Download the Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx) and install it.

2. Run the Windows Media Encoder. It should be on your Start Menu: All Programs -> Windows Media -> Windows Media Encoder

3. The following window should appear:

Select "Capture screen" and click OK

4. In the next step, select what part of the screen you want to record:

You can select "Specific window", but that will include the entire browser window. I recommend selecting "Region of the screen", which will allow you to select a specific area that you want to record.
If you want to record sound, check the "Capture audio from the default audio device" checkbox.
Click the Next button to continue.

5. In the next step, you will get to select the exact area of the screen that you want to record:

Click the selection button, which is below the text "Do you want to use the selection button?" The Windows Media Encoder window will minimize. Click one corner of the area that you want to record. Then hold down the mouse button and drag to the opposite corner of the area that you want to record. When you release the mouse button, the Windows Media Encoder window will be back on the screen.

6. In the next step, enter a file name for your video:

7. In the next step, select the video quality that you want:

I recommend High quality. The video quality is very good and the file size is quite reasonable.

8. In the next step, enter information about your video:

The information you enter will be displayed when the video is played in Windows Media Player.

9. In the next step, verify that everything looks ok:

Make sure the "Begin capturing screens when I click Finish" checkbox is checked and click Finish to start recording.

10. The following message will appear:

Click OK to start recording.

11. The Windows Media Encoder window will minimize and recording will begin. When you are finished recording, click on Windows Media Encoder on the taskbar and click the Stop button on the toolbar:

12. A summary window will be displayed:

Click Close to close the summary window, or click Play Output File to watch your video.

At this point you may want to edit your video. Video editing is beyond the scope of this tutorial. If you are running Windows XP, you should have Windows Movie Maker, which you can use to edit your video.

Now you need to put your video where others can see it. There are sites that will host videos for free, such as Putfile (http://www.putfile.com). You can upload files up to 10 MB on Putfile, or 25 MB if you sign up for a free account.

I hope this tutorial has been helpful. Feel free to post any tips or ideas that you have.
i cant find windows media