View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Masked Cowboy
Awards Showcase
St. Patrick's Day 2011 Award Happy Valentine's Day Award Make A Wish Award 2010 Holiday Award Trivia Winner Halloween'10 Award Epitaph Winner's Award Caption Contest Participant's Award 
Total Awards: 49

VIP
My Mood: Happy
SoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing InfernoSoccerRyan ’s feet are on fire with Dancing Inferno
Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchMad View Post
In all honesty, I highly doubt that anyone knows the real reason why VMK closed. I have a friend who works in WDIG and that came as a surprise to them as much to us. To my reasoning, at the end of a very long day, very long road, after a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin - it did come down to money. Kind of. SoccerRyan has the closest theory to mine, so I think mixing them both gets you an accurate reason.

Disney is set into seperate divisions which I'm sure you are aware. Each division is responsible for their own staff and of course - their own money. Back in 2005, WDIG paid the lump sum for VMK to be made.

When VMK promoted the parks, people did that. Went to the parks. The money being earnt through VMK merchandise, park tickets, etc was not going in WDIG's pocket. They were not seeing any profits being made. WDIG worked their socks off for us to go to the parks, but they weren't getting thanked by our money. We gave our money to another devision. Because WDIG are the ones who believed in VMK, and were fully responsible for everything that goes on with it - they were faced with the dilema of paying x amount of money to pay "for VMK" in 2008.

Could they afford to? No. VMK wasn't making money for WDIG, hence it's closure. (It was however making money for other devisions, merchandise, tickets, etc - but Disiney doesn't work like that).

Believe it as you wish, but that's what I've been told by someone who works in IT, over lunch.
I agree here. Now I just want to put a little spin on it.

Unlike in their other pay-to-play online games, VMK was not bringing in money directly to the WDIG. However, it was making money for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which helped develop the game. So, after communicating with WDPR about what they thought VMK's influence was on revenue, WDIG decided that VMK did not have the potential to be a financially successful pay-to-play game and so it was closed. Does this sound probable?

Play trivia at #vmktrivia to win a purple scrolly!