VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite

VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disney Gossip Archive (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Disney owns the disney store chain again.. (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146924)

EtnaGreen 04-27-2008 12:20 AM

Disney owns the disney store chain again..

As a few of you may know, a few years ago disney sold the disney store chain. Today my family and I went into the disney store, and we checked out the pin rack as usual, but we saw something different then usual. They had a pin from disney world. We were shocked and wanted to buy it. So my father went to buy it and asked the cashier if disney owned the disney stores again. She said yes and that you can also return disney pins from the parks there. Sweet, now if you work their you can get disney park discounts again. :mickey:

awsomered 04-27-2008 12:58 AM

Weird... A disney store not owned by Disney.... So wait do they own it now or not?

GoofyGeggy 04-27-2008 01:06 AM

The Disney Stores are in the process of being handed back over to Disney corp., it's true. Those who work at the Disney Stores have had to resubmit their personal information to Disney corp. as early/late as this last week.

However, what is unknown at this time is which Disney Stores will or won't be kept open after Disney has officially taken over again. Disney will be closing more of the Disney Stores down, and will probably be looking to dump the Stores onto some other retailer.

awsomered, if you want more confusion, consider this: The Disney Store and the online Disney Store aren't owned by the same company. ;)

Jacques 04-27-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsomered (Post 1998125)
Weird... A disney store not owned by Disney.... So wait do they own it now or not?

This should confuse you then: Disney does not own Tokyo Disneyland. ;)

BlazinBeats 04-27-2008 04:53 AM

o_o
Yeah, Jacques, you pretty much confused me.
LOL.

Jacques 04-27-2008 06:14 AM

I have succeeded, then. ;)

American companies cannot own land in Japan, so the Japanese-owned park "rents" the Disney likeness from the Walt Disney Company.

Back to the Disney Stores, I wonder why Disney is buying them back, only to close some down. Weird.

tiedyenaj 04-27-2008 07:27 AM

hope they don't close the one near our house does not close they all ready closed they one closest to our house a few years ago

Stemaboat_Tyler 04-27-2008 01:31 PM

I didn't know it was owned by Childrens Place. I thought it was owned by JCPennys o_o

GoofyGeggy 04-27-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques (Post 1998357)
Back to the Disney Stores, I wonder why Disney is buying them back, only to close some down. Weird.

Well, the Children's Place hasn't fulfilled their requirements after taking over the Stores. They were supposed to do X Y and Z, but haven't. The Disney Stores have also been losing money like mad in recent years, so the Children's Place is cutting their losses.

I don't think Disney wants the Stores to go away completely, so they are taking them back as a quick solution. Who knows how quickly they will be looking to dump the Stores on someone else's back again, since they practically gave the Stores to Children's Place before.

Oh, and to add to the confusion: there are a few Disney Stores that have always been owned by Disney corp. Those are the stores in Downtown Disney and in Europe. By May 1st, Disney corp. will again own the Disney Stores in North America.

awsomered 04-27-2008 08:03 PM

Ok well that pretty much un-balances my little universe!! @_@

EtnaGreen 04-27-2008 11:51 PM

I am surprised they are closing, whenever I am in the stores it is always full of people buying tons of stuff. Then again the low prices may have been what killed them. I hope disney decides to keep them open and starts selling more pins. It would be a shame for them to close, especially with all the cute characters near the ceiling. Anyways I find the info pretty interesting, just like I find disney owning a really small golf course near where I live weird.

awsomered 04-28-2008 12:35 AM

Wait so they are closing them now?

TripleM 04-28-2008 01:37 AM

the disney store -in a certain simon mall named for a US president-isn't closing, its owned by disney themselves. you can buy theme park tickets there!

WDWTigger72 04-28-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleM
the disney store -in a certain simon mall named for a US president-isn't closing, its owned by disney themselves. you can buy theme park tickets there!

You can buy the park tickets at any of the disney stores, it has been like this since before "The Childrens Place" purchased the chains...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtnaGreen
I am surprised they are closing, whenever I am in the stores it is always full of people buying tons of stuff. Then again the low prices may have been what killed them. I hope disney decides to keep them open and starts selling more pins. It would be a shame for them to close, especially with all the cute characters near the ceiling. Anyways I find the info pretty interesting, just like I find disney owning a really small golf course near where I live weird.

Our local disney store, or one of them at least, had their lease expiring inside the mall when "The Childrens Place" and "Disney" where working on their agreement. To say the least the Disney Store lost its lease, and had to find another place within the mall to lease. The other location contained much less traffic then this wing of the mall, and they don't have any of the giant figurines like they once did...Plus, The rental space was much smaller. Everytime I go to this mall I don't find many people entering this store at all very light traffic unfortunately...Its sad I liked that store at one point in time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoofyGeggy
By May 1st, Disney corp. will again own the Disney Stores in North America again.

Thanks for your post geggy, I hope this changes one of our local stores a bit with my comment above this since the store has really gone downhill here. My initial thoughts is that this won't change too much at all, because even when Disney owned all the Disney Stores they where losing a lot of money and coincides with their decision to basically almost give away the Disney Stores to The Childrens Place...

StitchMad 04-29-2008 07:08 PM

We have a few Disney stores around us here in the UK.
Does anyone know if Disney will own the ones here soon, or are they just buying the ones in North America?