VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite

VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trading Post (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   SCAMS: Read this before you trade anything! (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5977)

MrGenie 08-16-2005 12:45 AM

SCAMS: Read this before you trade anything!

As far as I know, the vast majority of VMK scams fall into one of the following two categories:

1) Trading for codes. These types of trades will always be problematic because they cannot be conducted simultaneously (unlike trades that happen in the game). Whoever gives something away first must trust the other person to deliver the other part of the bargain after the trade. Additionally, the code portion of the trade typically has to happen outside of VMK which further complicates matters and makes the trade more risky.

How to avoid this scam: do not participate in sequential trades (trades where one portion can't be completed in the VMK trade window) with anyone you don't completely trust. There are a lot of trustworthy people out there with the items you are looking for. Be patient, and eventually you'll find someone you feel good about trading with!

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: they have rare items but they are using a guest account or are brand new to the forum (check their profile); the offer seems too good to be true; they refuse to let you try out the code first before taking your in-game items.

2) Clicking "Accept" too early. Apparently, there is a bug allows someone to remove something from the trade window at the last second after you click "Accept", and the trade goes through before you have a chance to accept again. Other versions of this involve people tricking you into accepting the wrong trade by putting something valuable in the trade window, filling the trade window with less valuable things, and then deleting the valuable item while it is off the screen. A third version occurs when you add your items to the trade window and click "Accept"...once you do this, all the other person has to do is click "Accept" and the trade will be completed--even if they haven't added anything to the trade window.

How to avoid this scam: be extremely careful before you click the "Accept" button. Review all items in the trade. A good rule of thumb is that you should always try to be the last person to click the "Accept" button in a trade.

Possible signs that someone is probably scamming you: the offer seems too good to be true; they keep adding and deleting things from the trade window or doing shady things with the "Accept" button; they try to rush you through the trade and act impatient if you are taking your time to review things.

Update: In an attempt to eliminate this type of scam, VMK has added a "Confirm" window that appears after both players click "Accept." Items cannot be added or removed from the "Confirm" window, so double-check that you are getting the right items and not being scammed!

-----------------------------------------------------

If either of these scams occurs to you, you need to report it to VMK IMMEDIATELY using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the VMK Home Page. VMK also has a great page on scamming on their website. VMK takes scamming very seriously, and the only way to shut down people who scam is to report them to VMK. VMK may also help you get your stuff back if they can prove you got scammed from the chat/trade logs, or if you traded with someone who has been reported by others. On the other hand, reporting scammers to the forum is not allowed because we can't prove anything here and it is considered flaming. If you do believe you were scammed by a forum member, please send me a PM and I will look into it privately.

Remember that there will always be new people to the game and the forum who will unfortunately try to scam other people. Fortunately, there are only a few types of successful scams, so once you know how these operate, it's pretty easy to avoid falling victim to a scam.

One last piece of advice: I have seen several people complain that they traded something and then the other person refused to trade them back a few minutes later. However, refusing a trade-back is not a scam...once you complete a trade, it's final. If someone decides to trade back with you, that is their decision, but it is also completely voluntary. For this reason, do not trade if there is any chance you will want a trade-back in the future...you should also avoid letting someone "test out" your magic pin or whatever since there is no way to force them to give it back.

Happy trading!

rokntink 08-16-2005 12:47 AM

Thanks for the tip Genie!

Paris

mackegirl 08-16-2005 12:51 AM

thanks! so much!

raspberry611 08-16-2005 01:00 AM

Great guide. Thanks MrGenie! :)

heelflip 08-16-2005 01:06 AM

thanks alot now i will becareful when trading for codes unless i no and trust the person

m0nk33b0y 08-16-2005 01:08 AM

Sorry if this is spam but another thing with codes:

Trade codes with codes.

rokntink 08-16-2005 01:19 AM

I heard someone had a room called "Secret Codes" The description was..
Give me stuff. I give you secret codes for everything. Even magic carpet! Certain scammmer!

Sorry, I don't remember who it is..

Paris

jab1235 08-17-2005 01:11 AM

mr.geney (the cool cool man) rocks and i can beleave every word
__________________________________________________ _______________
never ever trade for code got me

Xiris 08-17-2005 03:08 AM

thank you for the tips!

CuteHaliey 08-17-2005 05:01 AM

Thx Genie u are the best!

RikuBlade 08-17-2005 04:00 PM

Thx genie :)

CaptainBob 08-17-2005 07:52 PM

Genie, u rock! :music-smi

luvthatmouse 08-18-2005 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
Be careful when trading teleporters.

They dont Always link.

When you trade a teleporter, someone may try to say, I want to trade back, that teleporter did not work. They may try to stick you with a non linking set.

Just be careful. Only trade with those you know or trust.

Maybe with codes and teleporters, we could have third party moderator trades. Both parties trade with the moderator, and then the moderator ( or community leader) could give the stuff to both traders.

Lisa

Yes, DH got a bad set of teleporters form a [name deleted- please report this to VMK] today. He traded black ears. He tried to get her to take the teleporters back and when the window was up she took the ears away really fast. Scammer!

PinkFrappuccino 08-19-2005 12:22 PM

Great tips, thanks so much!

Ugh, I feel sick. I just noticed how many people have tried to scam me in the past!

staticfire 08-19-2005 01:26 PM

works for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caterpillar AEIOU
Be careful when trading teleporters.

They dont Always link.

When you trade a teleporter, someone may try to say, I want to trade back, that teleporter did not work. They may try to stick you with a non linking set.

Just be careful. Only trade with those you know or trust.

Maybe with codes and teleporters, we could have third party moderator trades. Both parties trade with the moderator, and then the moderator ( or community leader) could give the stuff to both traders.

Lisa

actually you have to put one in your room and one in his room