VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite

VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Disney/Pixar Games (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Muppets ARG?! (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152985)

LordIllidan 11-15-2008 04:48 AM

Muppets ARG?!

EDIT: TRAILHEAD! http://www.themuppetexperiment.com/ Your old VMK login should be able to work here ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Any of you who have lurked about the Save VMK forums know how outspoken I am about my opinion that Disney is refusing to advance the potentially explosive new medium that is video games.

Well, as if in answer to my annoyance, they've seemed to read my mind, and are advancing an even more obscure and an even more potentially explosive storytelling medium: Alternate Reality Games.

Posted by another user on an ARG forum I go to:

Quote:

A friend of mine that works for the Mouse sent me the following - which is ironic, since I live nowhere *near* Southern California any longer:

Quote:
From November 17 through December 12, Walt Disney Imagineering will be testing a new Alternate Reality Game featuring The Muppets. Select Annual Passholders will be invited to play by completing four online puzzles at home, helping Kermit find his lost muppet pals. Kermit will then invite players to continue the search in person in Disney's California AdventureŽ Park by using clues and answering via text from their personal cell phones to complete the game inside the park. Upon completing the game, players will be directed to receive their prize at the Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar.
For those that do not know, an "Alternate Reality Game" is a game which uses the real world as a storytelling platform. Players have the opportunity to interact with actors posing as the characters through blogs, websites, IM chats, face-to-face talks... Or whatever else the puppetmaster (That's ARG lingo for "The team running the game") can imagine.

I'm very exited about this. An Alternate Reality Game, by nature, is the pinnacle of storytelling immersion. If Disney can get this right, this could potentially be the (admittedly small, but not non-existent. The post DOES make it sound like Disney will be making better, bigger ARGs if this one goes well, however) beginning of a huge movement of moving storytelling away from television and out into the real world.

Don't mess this up, Disney.

ozzietropics 11-15-2008 11:31 PM

Count me in!

ivanbyte9 11-16-2008 12:56 AM

Whoah! Sounds nice, but is it like another game like VMK or is it like a quest?

LordIllidan 11-16-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivanbyte9 (Post 2122464)
Whoah! Sounds nice, but is it like another game like VMK or is it like a quest?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordIllidan (Post 2122000)
For those that do not know, an "Alternate Reality Game" is a game which uses the real world as a storytelling platform. Players have the opportunity to interact with actors posing as the characters through blogs, websites, IM chats, face-to-face talks... Or whatever else the puppetmaster (That's ARG lingo for "The team running the game") can imagine.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_Reality_Game

ParamoreGal 11-16-2008 01:09 AM

One word: Awesomeness! BTW in the title it looks like you are saying: Muppets arg?!
Like you are mad at them or something lol :stitch:

PurpleCrazyLava 11-16-2008 02:32 AM

Yeah^ LOL. I hope we get the AP thing. We're AP holders, We're= my family.

acefredfred 11-16-2008 06:25 AM

Sounds awesome.. :P
- acefredfred

LordIllidan 11-18-2008 05:00 AM

Today is November 17th! Anyone gotten anything yet?

acefredfred 11-19-2008 01:07 AM

Im not a pass holder... :P
-acefredfred

EtnaGreen 11-19-2008 01:14 AM

That is really cool, I have been hoping that Disney would do something with the muppets for awhile now(my family and I are huge muppets fans).

BuzzBoy133 11-19-2008 07:05 PM

Wow. Cool. Its almost like the in-park quests for VMK!

garfieldboy 11-27-2008 03:04 AM

lol I love the muppets, Gonzo, Kermit and finding Sam the Bald american eagle

Disneyzoodude 11-29-2008 04:01 PM

Thanks for the complicated words :D
Anyways, sounds interesting.

-D

lucky33325 12-01-2008 12:51 AM

if it comes out, im definetly not playin it. LOL

LordIllidan 12-03-2008 03:43 AM

The trailhead has finally been released! http://www.themuppetexperiment.com/

Also, some players have already gotten replies from a Dr. Brunsen Honeydew

The first email:
Quote:

Hello [Player name]! This is Dr. Bunsen Honeydew of Muppet Labs, where tomorrow is the future.

Our latest invention - The Muppet Labs Time Rewinder(TM) -- is complete! My assistant Beaker has already taken his first trip - exactly five minutes into the past. He tells me that this recent past is just like the present day, except it happened five minutes earlier! Extraordinary! While this was a highly impressive test, there is much more to do. Thousands have applied to be test subjects for this next round of experiments. The first lucky applicants selected are:

* Kermit the Frog
* Miss Piggy
* The Swedish Chef
* Rowlf the Dog
* Fozzie Bear
* Sam the Eagle

If your name is not listed above, don't worry! More volunteers will be selected every hour, so keep an eye on your inbox. Next stop: the past!

Scientifically yours,
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
The second one, sent 6 hours after the first:
Quote:

Hello again PostLarval! Dr. Bunsen Honeydew here. We've had a slight...uh, incident here at Muppet Labs: it seems that some of our test subjects have gone missing!

We were preparing to embark on the maiden voyage of The Muppet Labs Time Rewinder(TM) when Kermit suggested we photograph everyone inside this technological marvel. However, instead of picking up the camera and pressing the button, my assistant Beaker accidentally picked up the Time Rewinder controls and sent everyone back through time! (Oopsie!) As a result Kermit and his friends are now scattered across California in the year 1937!

Not to worry! Thanks to the Rewinder's attached Muppet Labs Dial-a-Time Phone, Beaker and I are in contact with Kermit. But we could use your help to track down the others. For the sake of science and the well-being of our volunteers, please head over to our website to learn how you and your family can work with us to bring our lost friends home again.

Please hurry! The time-space continuum is in your hands!

Scientifically yours,
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
I'll try to keep you all updated on the findings at the other forums