VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite

VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project: SAVE VMK! (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Not VMK, but similar...? (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157080)

Riverplate 07-22-2012 05:41 PM

Not VMK, but similar...?

I've been very interested by the buying of Playdom by disney and stumbled upon some interesting information on an upcoming game in production....

One quote: "...it almost sounds like Playdom is going to be including elements of Virtual Magic Kingdom.."
http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2011/11...ng-disney-game

EtnaGreen 07-23-2012 03:53 PM

That's really interesting. It seems as though the project is in its really early stages, so nothing is really set yet. Thanks for sharing. :)

kelly.o 07-24-2012 02:29 AM

This gave me a little bit of hope :D thanks ^-^

StarBP 08-07-2012 11:06 PM

Sorry, but that game is Disney's Animal Kingdom Explorers... just another ordinary social game. I expected more from Playdom, given their work with Wild Ones (then again, that game became ridiculously expensive to thrive in quite a long time ago)

StitchMad 09-18-2012 11:16 PM

Ha, I tried playing that explorer game but never revisited after the first day. It seemed cool at first, but it just wasn't VMK. :(!

Stitchco 09-20-2012 03:29 PM

It was more like a Farmville or something O_O it... was... just... nope.

Honestly, if they think about how much money they can probably squeeze from us all because we want to play it again so badly... well... Hope you all gots lots of moneies :D lol

-Master Sorcerer Stitchco

StitchMad 09-20-2012 05:39 PM

Yeah that's right. There was a time when I played Farmville quite a lot (had to plant my strawberries every 4 hours!) but I kinda drifted away. My parents and I have said countless times that Disney really have missed a trick with VMK. If it wasn't for VMK, we would have never made the two trips to Disneyland; we would never have bought annual passes (and renewed); we would have paid-to-play; we would have paid for merchandise; we would have paid for pins; we would have paid for online furniture. To any onlooker who didn't play the game, this probably sounds somewhat crazy, but the fact still remains that VMK was a hobby, just like any other, and people would indeed be willing to put the time and money into it. Some people may spend money attending a football game - we may want to spend money on VMK. It's simple business tactics that Disney appear to have overlooked. It's a shame, really.

Here's something I posted elsewhere back on the 27th February 2011:
Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchMad
My parents and I often tell people that amount of money Disney made from VMK. Now we all joined the game in August 2005 and stayed till the end (StitchMad, DCLmad and AceCaptainWayne if you knew us). If it wasn't for VMK, we would probably never have even thought of visiting DLR. We wanted to try the quests there and get the exclusive stuff - while visiting the original park. We went to DLR twice while VMK was open and that was the primary reason; when you take a look at how much we spent on tickets, merchandise, food, flights, hotel, car hire, it is not a cheap vacation. Heck, we even did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps door at Disneyland so that we could see the inside of Club 33! If our vacations to Disneyland weren't enough, it was probably VMK that continued our trips to WDW. Up until 2005, we would do vacations in Spain, Amsterdam, Florida. After 2005/6 however, all of our vacations have been to Florida / the United States. We bought Annual Passes for three (?) years running and now for the past two years, we've been staying on Disney property (OKW) with the Disney Dining Plan. Disney have made an absolute bomb out of us and I'd suggest it is down to VMK. We enjoy our time in Florida and the United States so much, we really do. Even as I type this, we just got back from a week's vacation in Florida this morning. VMK had so much potential: not only interactive features around the park, but merchandise. I own a VMK Hat, all the VMK pins (bar Tiki set), all the quest cards, all the quest answer cards and I would happily get my wallet out for anything with the VMK logo on. Why on Earth did Disney not realise this?

Since I posted that, we have had a further two trips to Disney's Old Key West Resort (with the Disney Dining Plan) and still enjoy each and every day we're in Florida. We've also bought annual passes once again after cancelling them for a couple of years. Some would say, after reading this, that VMK did its "job" (a promotional tool, allegedly) perfectly well. I'd say they could have got even more money. It was just fantastic.

Spottedleaf 11-14-2012 08:43 PM

I hope it's not like another Farmville. :(

StarBP 11-23-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spottedleaf (Post 2190185)
I hope it's not like another Farmville. :(

It was. :-(

HollyZooks 11-30-2012 11:12 PM

i can't even stand farmville. i hope its somewhat close to vmk :O

FabTab 12-24-2012 06:25 AM

I hate Farmville. I'm so sick of getting those requests. -.-

Blossomflower 01-09-2013 02:55 AM

farmville is evil. vmk >> farmville