VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite

VMK Forums - Virtual Magic Kingdom Online Community, Forums & Fansite (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project: SAVE VMK! (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Open VMK (https://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157120)

MrBrandon 09-12-2013 03:24 AM

Open VMK

So... it's not by Disney, but I assure you it's 100% like VMK and in beta.... go to the website and find out for yourself

Miketic 09-12-2013 03:47 AM

Yup, still glitchy but it's better than nothing.

bluedudeman 09-12-2013 03:28 PM

I wonder how long it will last.

BaseballStarz 09-12-2013 05:22 PM

This is my only hope.

Gamecrazy 09-12-2013 07:46 PM

As far as I can see it's the beginning of a new VMK, it's glitchy now but I believe most glitches will be fixed :)

yumsse 09-13-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluedudeman (Post 2190380)
I wonder how long it will last.

Not long by my estimates. Some players seem to think that since they're not making money off of it, they can't be sued. Which is totally, utterly, completely wrong. I love VMK and I've been happily playing Open VMK on and off for the past week, but I'm also realistic and I know that the game violates so many copyright and trademark laws. Not to mention all the patents Disney holds on VMK.

I just wish they had made the game open source...

GoodPolarGirl 09-13-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yumsse (Post 2190384)
Not long by my estimates. Some players seem to think that since they're not making off of it, they can't be sued. Which is totally, utterly, completely wrong. I love VMK and I've been happily playing Open VMK on and off for the past week, but I'm also realistic and I know that game violates many copyright and trademark laws. Not to mention all the patents Disney holds on VMK.

I'm in the same boat. I'm incredibly impressed by what the makers have done with it so far, and I'm enjoying the time I've been able to spend on it (despite how many times I get disconnected), but I'm making it a point to not become attached.

Gamecrazy 09-13-2013 05:18 AM

I asked Seth Mendelson (yavn) on facebook what his stance and what disney's stance was on Open VMK and he saw the message, but did not respond. My guess is they don't know what to think of it yet.

bluedudeman 09-13-2013 01:31 PM

I agree with everything said so far. I'm enjoying it while it's there but don't expect it to be there for very long. Obviously the best attempt so far at re creating VMK.

Some people have gone so far as to try to tell me that Open VMK has reached a deal with Disney so that they are allowed to make VMK by themselves. When I called them on this, they even deleted my comments. Not the Open VMK staff but other people who are attempting to hide the fact that Open VMK could close at any moment.

yumsse 09-14-2013 06:16 PM

It appears as though the greatest threat to Open VMK is not Disney but Open VMK itself.

One of the administrators of Open VMK Forums just posted a message announcing major restructuring of the management of Open VMK. Gone is Amy, a seemingly essential developer to the project, after "questionable files" were brought to the attention of the rest of the team. She has now been removed entirely from the project. Meanwhile, others have been brought in, including oatman (a major force behind the long-dead VMK Unleashed) and, surprisingly, GPDOT (creator of VMK Revisited).

I don't know about you, but this sounds exactly like VMK Unleashed's demise all over again.

Noelle 09-14-2013 07:11 PM

I have been in the game a few times. I am still very apprehensive about it and don't want to get too attached. Have to admit that I did perk up a bit when I saw that GPDOT is now part of the team.

bluedudeman 09-15-2013 01:58 AM

I have no idea what you mean by VMK Unleashed's demise. I never followed any attempt to recreate the game because I never thought it'd be done. Now I know a little about Open VMK, but even that I didn't consider until a few days before it opened. So I'm not sure about what happened with the other attempts...

I feel like it was unprofessional to talk about the removal of Amy in that way. It felt kind of awkward to read! Haha. Hopefully it keeps running as smoothly as possible, but we will see.

yumsse 09-15-2013 03:17 AM

To make a long story short, VMK Unleashed was a VMK recreation that never came to fruition becasue of internal personality conflicts. These conflicts culminated in to two of the project's heads, one of whom was oatman, having an argument one night. In the middle of said argument, the one who wasn't oatman deleted all of the files related to VMK Unleashed out of spite. And just like that, all the work put into VMK Unleashed disappeared and the project was scrapped. At least that's what I remember.

I could just be a pessimist for thinking this is what will happen to Open VMK, haha. Either way, I do hope all of the internal wrinkles have been smoothed out. Still surprised GPDOT has joined them; I hope they verified that it's really him. I always thought he was a staunch critic of creating a fully playable recreation.

luckyone 09-15-2013 04:55 AM

I was really happy seeing the Open Vmk project started, but after today's happenings I am a little pessimistic about it... but I will keep my hopes up... after all, there are people who seem qualified to keep the game running *I hope so*

yumsse 09-15-2013 04:35 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon. Direct from Open VMK Forums:

"As you all know, our current development team has been investigating the situation that occurred recently with Amy. After further investigation, we realized that the game files we suspected of being malicious are not."

So somebody became suspicious of Amy, the team booted her, investigated further, and figured out it was a false flag. So... who became suspicious and why? How did they manage to mistakenly think certain files were malicious when they were, in fact, not?

Ugh, this is just too much for me. I have other things going on in my life. Just make the game playable and I'm happy. :P