View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH COMPUTERS! What computer do you have? How fast is it?

gregoryalec
11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I need to take a survey so I couldfind the right computer. I am looking for a lap top computer so if you have a really fast working laptop please participate.

I need to know what brand it is, (DELL, hp... etc..)
I need to know on a scale of 1-10 how fast it is when it comes to playing vmk
and other things.
I need know the model of your computer and model number ( inspiron 5100, xps 5600... etc )

Any other additionalinfo would be great! Thanks for helpingme!

Retri
11-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Hmm.. the laptop I'm using right now is a Gateway.
It is pretty fast on VMK, at most times it is an 8 or a 9. Some of that depends on your internet provider, though. I'm not sure what model it is though, sorry.

jsmall
11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Mines a dell
Its about a three
dont know the model but its junk

gregoryalec
11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Hmm.. the laptop I'm using right now is a Gateway.
It is pretty fast on VMK, at most times it is an 8 or a 9. Some of that depends on your internet provider, though. I'm not sure what model it is though, sorry.

Oh, where did u get it? who is your internetprovider? was it expensive
?

Thark
11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey,

I have a

Dell Inspiron E1705 (Same thing as a Dell Inspiron 9400)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz Processor
2 Gb of 667 mhz ram
120 Gb 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Geforce Go 7900GS graphics card

About an 8 out of 10. I have had the pleasure of using a few laptops and have compared the speeds of them, this is about the second fastest laptop i've used so far.

A few recommendations and hints, a computer is only as fast as its slowest component. So if you have very low ram(memory) and the fastest processor, it will still be a slow computer. Try and even everything out.

For a gaming laptop here are my recommendations: a dual core processor (i.e. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD FX2), a hard drive with at least 7200 rpm (i regret going for size over speed), at least 512mb - 1 Gb of ram, and go for a graphics card not integrated. This is for a basic to moderate gaming pc, or for a high end processing computer (for word, internet surfing, etc..)

If you would could post what your into, for example do you play a lot of hard core games or video editing, or are you a word processing/ internet surfing person. Also what is your budget? My laptop cost a very valuable and shiney penny.

The biggest recommendation i could say is shop around all the brands, and look into other customers reviews.

Audly
11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
i got a dell...one of their more expensive types. Runs about 9 or 10 most of the time. ( i got alot of junk on it though)it used to always be at 10 untill i started putting pictures and programs on it.

gregoryalec
11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey,

I have a

Dell Inspiron E1705 (Same thing as a Dell Inspiron 9400)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz Processor
2 Gb of 667 mhz ram
120 Gb 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Geforce Go 7900GS graphics card

About an 8 out of 10. I have had the pleasure of using a few laptops and have compared the speeds of them, this is about the second fastest laptop i've used so far.

A few recommendations and hints, a computer is only as fast as its slowest component. So if you have very low ram(memory) and the fastest processor, it will still be a slow computer. Try and even everything out.

For a gaming laptop here are my recommendations: a dual core processor (i.e. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD FX2), a hard drive with at least 7200 rpm (i regret going for size over speed), at least 512mb - 1 Gb of ram, and go for a graphics card not integrated. This is for a basic to moderate gaming pc, or for a high end processing computer (for word, internet surfing, etc..)

If you would could post what your into, for example do you play a lot of hard core games or video editing, or are you a word processing/ internet surfing person. Also what is your budget? My laptop cost a very valuable and shiney penny.

The biggest recommendation i could say is shop around all the brands, and look into other customers reviews.

I have been searching online for weeks now. My buget is 1,000 or less. I know it is a low busget for a good computer but its really all I can afford maybe not even 1,000 maybe 900 or less.

I do not do video stuff but I do neet microsoft word, microsoft power point, microsoft outlet, etc... The only game I play online is vmk. I do internet surf a lot i could tell you that but I dont really download anything except a few pictures and word stuff. I need a computer that works well with vmk. Right now I have the dell inspiron 5100 it stinks! I cannot play any mini-games in vmk. The games skiparound, freeze in the middle then I get booted. I do not play any cd- rom games or anything. Have any recommendations? Thanks!

Zebraa
11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Brand: IBM
How fast: 8/9
Model: R51

Most of the time when VMK is slow, it's cuz of your intarweb (AKA internet), unless VMK has gone through updates, etc.

Thark
11-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Brand: IBM
How fast: 8/9
Model: R51

Most of the time when VMK is slow, it's cuz of your intarweb (AKA internet), unless VMK has gone through updates, etc.

Not true. The standard DSL is about 7 mbps. May say 100 mbps but the speed you want to look at is the downstream. That is really quick, but even with that VMK will lag if you have a slow computer. As I said in an earlier post, the computer is only as fast as all of its components, including internet. I have one of the fastest internet connections and my desktop is slow, and even with the fast internet connection my computer cant handle mini games or alot of activity in vmk.

gregoryalec
11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Thark,
got any computer reccomendationsfor this:

I have been searching online for weeks now. My buget is 1,000 or less. I know it is a low busget for a good computer but its really all I can afford maybe not even 1,000 maybe 900 or less.

I do not do video stuff but I do neet microsoft word, microsoft power point, microsoft outlet, etc... The only game I play online is vmk. I do internet surf a lot i could tell you that but I dont really download anything except a few pictures and word stuff. I need a computer that works well with vmk. Right now I have the dell inspiron 5100 it stinks! I cannot play any mini-games in vmk. The games skiparound, freeze in the middle then I get booted. I do not play any cd- rom games or anything. Have any recommendations? Thanks!

Thark
11-16-2006, 06:12 AM
I would suggest looking into a Dell Inspiron E1505. You can get a pretty decent one that has

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
80 Gb 7200 rpm hard drive
1 Gb ram
256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™ graphics card
wireless card included
and some fun stuff

for 1006 dollars.

Of course you can downgrade the graphics card ( which i dont think would hurt much) to the 128 MB ATI mobility radeon X1300 and be under 1000.

Of course this figure comes from a secret. This i will pm you.