View Full Version : Disneyland: Queue Tactics

TheMoth
10-16-2006, 04:42 AM
When my family and I are at Disneyland, there are strange little superstitions that we have about choosing which way to go when a line forks into two paths. Some examples:

Indiana Jones: Upon going up the steps right before going down to the load station, the right line, although it goes along the outside, moves much faster. Sometimes there are only a few people waiting on that side anyway. Maybe they think it's for FASTPASS or something. (This has pretty much been fully proven because we always choose the right side and always beat our "competitors")

Space Mountain: Same basic principle, the peeps don't realize that they can go in the right side line. The only downside is that the right side is closer to the back train so alot of the time they stick you in the back instead of the front.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Im not totally sure about this one but I believe it's plausible. The right line doesn't loop around by the Tarzan's treehouse, so it's actually a shorter length. I picked out a group of people when we were going under the bridge and we beat them by one or two boats.

Gadgets Go Coaster: DO NOT BOTHER. I read somewhere that the wait time to ride time ratio is 60:1. That means that for every minute you wait in line, you get to ride for one second. Peter Pan is a close second in the race for worst ratio.

Matterhorn: People are scared to go into that right line because they don't realize there is a second loading station. The only negative side is that its a different track, so if you really like the left side, to bad.

Are you noticing a trend? Right side! Right side! Is it just me or is there something weird about the lines that fork to the right?

So my question to you.... Do you have any information with some other rides that can help us VMKites gain the competitive edge in the ongoing battle to gain perfect queue line enlightenment? If so, please preach the name of the queue!

Jacques
10-16-2006, 06:01 AM
As a former DLR attractions cast member, I noticed the "right-side" phenomenon early on. If there are two options, approximately 80% will use the right side. We took turnstile readings than backed this up. Mansion is just the opposite, though. Since the Fastpass line is on the right at the gate, people tend to stay to the left. Once you pass the stairs, go to the right. You fly through.

Also, get to the big rides EARLY. Like the host rooms, if you don't get there right at opening, the line grows quick. Another good time is during the parades/Fantasmic/fireworks. Most people will wait to see these, leaving the rides less crowded. Be careful if you try this with Splash Mountain. Be prepared to be stuck in a crowd control nightmare if it's busy. No easy way through the Pirates area.

Oh, and there is no good time to ride Peter Pan. Always a line. Still the best of the dark rides, though.

Enjoy!

DisneyWhiz
10-16-2006, 06:07 AM
lol..i use some of these..they were helpful today when i went to DLR, the lines were so long!! we chose a bad day to go..lol

Flame Gun
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM
The RIGHT SIDE of the Line happens to be the spot at WDW where you find the answer to the Pirates quest in the POTC ride line

VMKJen
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey, isn't the right side the '' fast pass line '' because whenever we have the '' fast pass '' we go in the right side.

Jacques
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
They may start out that way, but like I said about Mansion, the Fastpass line ends at the front steps, opening the right queue back up.

It's not just a Disney thing. Any time you see two doors, people instinctively head to the door on the right. Most believe that the left side is the exit.

greenhpper
10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
They may start out that way, but like I said about Mansion, the Fastpass line ends at the front steps, opening the right queue back up.

It's not just a Disney thing. Any time you see two doors, people instinctively head to the door on the right. Most believe that the left side is the exit.

Here's a thought, 85 to 90% of the population is right handed (from Wiki!). Typically, your foot-ness matches your handed-ness (due to laterality) so you would naturally gravitate to the right when given a choice if you are right dominant. :D

As a former DLR attractions cast member, I noticed the "right-side" phenomenon early on. If there are two options, approximately 80% will use the right side. We took turnstile readings than backed this up.

The 5% to 10% (from your observation of 80%) difference may be due to a lefty in charge of a family. ;) and the rest of the difference due to lefties and people who have to buck the system. Lol.

AdventureGirlGo
10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
This is true! When I was there, the sign sait 85 minute wait, but it only took us 15 minutes on the left!!!!! Wow!!!!!

And at WDW, take the Pirates line to the Left! It is only1/4 as long! Trust me on that one!

:41:

GBShorts
10-17-2006, 04:41 AM
When my family and I are at Disneyland, there are strange little superstitions that we have about choosing which way to go when a line forks into two paths. Some examples:

Indiana Jones: Upon going up the steps right before going down to the load station, the right line, although it goes along the outside, moves much faster. Sometimes there are only a few people waiting on that side anyway. Maybe they think it's for FASTPASS or something. (This has pretty much been fully proven because we always choose the right side and always beat our "competitors")

Space Mountain: Same basic principle, the peeps don't realize that they can go in the right side line. The only downside is that the right side is closer to the back train so alot of the time they stick you in the back instead of the front.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Im not totally sure about this one but I believe it's plausible. The right line doesn't loop around by the Tarzan's treehouse, so it's actually a shorter length. I picked out a group of people when we were going under the bridge and we beat them by one or two boats.

Gadgets Go Coaster: DO NOT BOTHER. I read somewhere that the wait time to ride time ratio is 60:1. That means that for every minute you wait in line, you get to ride for one second. Peter Pan is a close second in the race for worst ratio.

Matterhorn: People are scared to go into that right line because they don't realize there is a second loading station. The only negative side is that its a different track, so if you really like the left side, to bad.

Are you noticing a trend? Right side! Right side! Is it just me or is there something weird about the lines that fork to the right?

So my question to you.... Do you have any information with some other rides that can help us VMKites gain the competitive edge in the ongoing battle to gain perfect queue line enlightenment? If so, please preach the name of the queue!

As a former DLR attractions cast member, I noticed the "right-side" phenomenon early on. If there are two options, approximately 80% will use the right side. We took turnstile readings than backed this up. Mansion is just the opposite, though. Since the Fastpass line is on the right at the gate, people tend to stay to the left. Once you pass the stairs, go to the right. You fly through.

Also, get to the big rides EARLY. Like the host rooms, if you don't get there right at opening, the line grows quick. Another good time is during the parades/Fantasmic/fireworks. Most people will wait to see these, leaving the rides less crowded. Be careful if you try this with Splash Mountain. Be prepared to be stuck in a crowd control nightmare if it's busy. No easy way through the Pirates area.

Oh, and there is no good time to ride Peter Pan. Always a line. Still the best of the dark rides, though.

Enjoy!

I'm confused. Moth said to go right because fewer people do, but Jacques says that most people go right?

Which should I do?? :(

im.a.princess
10-17-2006, 04:53 AM
i read that humans are people of habbit and since most people are right handed they tend to just automatically pick the right line.

Jacques
10-17-2006, 05:04 AM
It's also the way we drive. Stay to the right, oncoming is to the left.

The British, however, figure it out quickly, and take the shorter queue. ;-)

JasonDude
10-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, I'm with you GBShorts, this is a conundrum.

What rides did you work with when you were a CM Jacques? Maybe it just varies with the rides...

Retlaw
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
At the Haunted Mansion, in the Stretch room, (at WDW) stand under the girl with the Umbrella, that is where the door opens, letting you into the line. You will beat 50 other people into the line.

:41:

Is this true for both Stretching rooms?

Thanks.

TheMoth
10-17-2006, 10:41 PM
I may be confusing you more by questioning the point of the thread but.....

I think what Jacques is trying to say is, more people choose the right queue, so CMs are trained to keep that side moving faster. So actually less people choose the left side, but it moves slower..... I think.....

I may have just confused myself :23: :pirate:

tctc
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
At Disneyland today, the right line at The Mansion and BTMRR were both much shorter than the left lines. People can be sheep. When they see everyone going one way, they go that way too.
:38:

TheMoth
10-18-2006, 10:12 PM
At Disneyland today, the right line at The Mansion and BTMRR were both much shorter than the left lines. People can be sheep. When they see everyone going one way, they go that way too.
:38:

this is true....

SurfedUpDane
11-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Here is the thing...people go to the line that looks the shortest. There is no mystery, no intrigue, no phsychological meaning behind the decision right or left?

jdrocks
11-21-2006, 12:58 AM
I got one.....me and my mom ALWAYS do this we have annual passes so we just go to DLR when we don't have anything to do lol. But I notice if you are in line to get in DL always have someone stay in your spot while you look for a shorter or just opened line plus if you get in early you have the whole park to yourself ;).

im.a.princess
11-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Is this true for both Stretching rooms?

Thanks.

at DLR the door is on the right of the elevator.

my sister and i stood right behind the door, and the second it opened we ran to be in the front of the line. but then the cms yelled at us to walk.

Chaelle
11-21-2006, 01:16 AM
It's funny, when my da and I go to WDW (not DL, sorry!) we always seem to take the right queue, too.
Odd, but the right queue does seem to move quicker!
~Chaelle