View Full Version : How do you get rid of computer lag?

Noelle
09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
When playing fireworks, I will sometimes have a problem with computer lag which really messes up my game. Before playing, I always make sure that everything is cleaned out and that no other programs are running except the ones that absolutely have to. It's a fairly new computer with lots of memory. It doesn't happen all the time, usually just when I have a good score going.

Any suggestions? :confused:

PaperClip
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Run Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup about once a week on the computer you use for VMK. That usually helps a lot. On other computers, only run it once a month.

Maribeth
09-03-2006, 02:28 AM
MrGenie brought to my (and hundreds of others') attention of a way to reduce lag on Fireworks.

When entering a Fireworks lobby, choose Advanced Mode and just pick any room. Join a game. When there are about 10-15 seconds left before the game, open up your map and select an empty fireworks lobby. Join the game again quickly. Depending on how fast your computer/internet connection loads rooms, you may want to open the map and complete this jump earlier or later. Hopefully nobody will come in the lobby before the game starts.

Ren various tests on your computer also, to see if you can find what's causing it.

What kind of internet connection do you have?
How long does it take to load a room in VMK on average? Is this time in proportion with the lag time on Fireworks games? Ex. Does it take .5 seconds to load a room, and you fireworks lags hardly no time at all? That would be in proportion. If your room took .5 seconds to load and you had a lag of say 15 seconds, that is pretty high. In fact, that's very high, so that indicates it's the firework game, not general VMK.

Click Control + Alt + Delete. Click the Performance tab. See how much CPU Usage your computer is using when there are no other programs open, and compare to how much it is using when VMK is open. If you use VMK, compare VMK to ****** CPU Usage. Whichever is lower is what you should use when playing VMK. Compare these numbers to the usage when you have other programs open with VMK. If there is a program that requires a lot of CPU usage, drastically more than the others, then I would recommend not using that program while playing Fireworks.

Good luck. ;)

neodude237
09-10-2006, 05:03 PM
One way is to end the processes by pressing ctrl, alt, and delete. Click process, NEVER end a system process. Only end things that you KNOW are safe.

CrazyAlly
09-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Well my computer goes slow sometimes too. So if I play fireworks I usually log out of messenger and sign back on, unless I know I'm going to be playing more.
Messenger slows my computer down when I'm playing VMK...so...
If you have any messenger, sign out probably?

-Crazy

Poseidon
09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
A good thing to do is update the amount of RAM you have, but it all depends on VMK.

Alienboy
09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
also run some anti virus, spyware, trojan the whole dealio. Those things can slow down ur comp big time if you come up clean so what CL_ said and look for programs that are running that you dont need and end their process. BUTTTTTTTTT!!! do not delete a process that you dont know what it is, especially explorer.exe you can get it back if u know what ur doing but youll flip out if u end that process trust me ive learned that hard way with comps