View Full Version : The Family's Angel

Chaelle
08-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Well this is based on a true story that is deticated to my Pop-Pop. He was 66 when he died (I perfer not to say the cause of his death), and I was only seven. His death struck my family, so I believe that there was an angel sent down to keep us company, for a short time. I switched some events around-- like Kays b-day and the funeral. They weren't really on the same day, I just wanted it to sound more interesting

The Family's Angel

Chapter I

The funeral

Tears streamed down Momma's cheeks as she said good-by one last time to her father. My dad was sad too, his eyes were watery, but... maybe he was too sad to cry.
I was sitting in one of the seats next to my cousin. We looked at each other, too little to understand what death meant. A few of my other cousins were there. I looked around the room. There were lots of people, strange faces I never have seen before. Then the mourning group sat down for the eulogy. When the eulogy was over, everyone visited the coffin, gave best wishes to the immediate family and left. My momma and dad volunteered to stay with my Mema, the widow of Pop-Pop. Mema accepted gratefully. The house was small and seemed empty, yet full of memories. Memories of family Christmases, Easters, and more. Now the house would always be filled with grief. My parents tried to make the best of it though. My dad would repair the house, Momma would help clean the kitchen with Mema. And I would be a good little hostess when visitors came by.

Chapter II

Going Home

Almost a week went by. It was time for our small family of three to go back to our own home. We did not live very far from Mema, which was good incase she needed us. Our whole family was big. Momma has one sister and two brothers. All of the siblings lived close to Mema. When we arrived home, Dad dropped our duffle bags in our rooms while Momma went to the phone to check messages. I was thankful that we had air-conditioning-- unlike Mema's home. Later on Momma, Dad and I had a light, quiet dinner. My two parents were in deep thought; the burial was tomorrow, the same day as my cousin's birthday. Kay-Kay would be turning five. The next day I was awoken by Dad's voice. "Chaelle, get up, you need to get ready." I moaned but finally got out of bed. I dressed in a pink long-sleeved dress and white sandals. My momma brushed my hair and made it pretty-- in the most painful way possible. But the brush was old and pulled my hair tightly. "Oww! Mom! I don't like headbands." I complained
"Beauty has its price." Mom answered absently. I suppose she was still thinking about the funeral. After Momma finished with my hair, I ran into the bathroom to put my hair in pigtails instead. "Where's my purse? Oh, there it is," Momma said. "Come on, guys we need to go." With Kay-Kay’s present in my hands, I hopped into the family car and we drove off.

Chapter III

Kay-Kay’s Unpleasantly Pleasant Birthday.

I was to be dropped off at Kay-Kay's house, which was about three blocks away from Mema's house. I walked up to the door and was let in by my Aunt Karen. "Hi, Chaelle. Let me get Kay." She said as she hugged me. "Kay! Time to go!" There was no answer, "Kay Emily. We're going to be late!"
"Coming ma'!" Was the response. Kay-Kay was dressed in a blue floral dress with plain blue shoes.
"Happy birthday, Kay." I said in my soft voice.
"Oh thanks. My Mom made me wear this."
We both laughed as the three of us walked through the driveway and into the car. Aunt Karen was carrying cupcakes, for Kay-Kay’s special birthday celebration.
"Mmmm, I wonder what's in this." Kay-Kay asked as she shook the present.
"Aunt Karen, where's Karsten?" I asked. Karsten was Kay-Kay's brother.
"Chaelle, I can't talk right now, ask me later." Aunt Karen said.
All of the adults were still in a daze from the sad event, which happened a few days ago.
Finally we arrived at Kay-Kay's school. I held the box of goodie-bags, Kay held her present and Aunt Karen held the cupcakes. We climbed a flight of stairs, careful not to drop anything.
Then we arrived at Kay-Kay's class.
"Welcome, Kay, Said Kay's teacher. "And who's this?" The teacher said as she pointed to me.
"That's my cousin! Chaelle." Kay announced.
"Welcome Chaelle! Everyone, say hi to Chaelle."
A few kids in the room waved.
Aunt Karen stayed to arrange the cupcakes and presents.
The teacher asked Kay-Kay to read a story to the class. Kay walked proudly to the 'Teacher's Chair'. She held the big book in her hands and started reading. She stumbled on a few words, but did not give up reading the book. After the story ended, the teacher, Miss Green gave us each a cupcake with a napkin and milk. "You want one, hon?" She asked me. I realized the cupcake was chocolate. I'm allergic to some kinds of chocolate, but since I didn't have my Epi-pen with me, (a portable shot in case of an emergency) I decided to decline the cupcake. A few hours went by, possibly two hours, when Aunt Karen announced that we had to go. There was no time to take Kay-Kay’s still-wrapped presents with us, so Aunt Karen asked Miss Green to save them till Kay went back to school. "Of course I will! Goodbye!" Miss Green waved.

Chapter IV

Seeing the Coffin

Kay-Kay and I were almost inseperetable. We pretended we were sisters, since we never had blood-sisters before. It was mid afternoon when we arrived at the funeral home.
"Are you scared?" Kay-Kay asked me as we once again sat down in one of the pews.
"Me? Hah! Then “No..." I said quietly.
"I dare you to go up to Pop-Pop's coffin." Kay-Kay challenged me.
"I will, as long as you go with me." I said.
We couldn't see the coffin because a lot of people were in front of it. Nevertheless, we sat up, and we passed through the people and stood in front of the coffin.
"I told you it was closed." I said.
"Shhh!" Someone behind me said. Of course it was one of the people neither Kay or I knew. I advised my younger cousin to get out of the crowd before we got into bigger trouble. We decided to walk into the waiting room so we could talk more freely without being shushed.
My dad came out and sat with us.
"It's crowded in there, huh?" He asked.
"Yeah, some grumpy person told us to be quiet." Kay said as she shook her head.
"There's going to be a limo only for the immediate family to ride in."
"A limo?!" Kay and I said in unison.
"Yeah, it's going to drive us to the burial site." Dad explained.
For Kay-Kay and I, riding in a limo was (and still is) the coolest thing. Only celebrities and rich people could ride in them. Now it was our turn.

Chapter V

Limousine Trouble

When it was time to go. The immediate family walked around the limo. A few family members peered inside.
"Uh oh," Said Eddie, one of my momma's brothers. "There are only 12 seats and there are 1... 2... 3... 4... 13 of us."
"Well let's see. Mom will ride in the front Eddie's and Reece's family can ride on either side. And I'll take a ride with someone." Momma said.
"No, you're going to sit with us." Dad insisted.
"Well I can skip the limousine ride..." Mema volunteered.
"No, Mom. You're coming with us." Momma said.
"No really, it's okay."
No, mother." Mom said sternly.
"Oh okay dear." Mema said. Certainly she couldn't help with this problem.
"I've got it." Dad exclaimed.
Kay and Chaella’ can ride in the same seat.
“Isn’t that dangerous?” Momma asked. It took Dad a
few seconds to answer, as if he was thinking the same thing. Then said, “No, the limo driver is
a good driver and the girls are small so the seatbelt will fit them both. Everyone looked around the driveway then agreed to the plan. Mema, her son, Mark and Momma sat in the first three rows behind the limousine driver. The last 9 seats were in the back; three seats in the very back of the limmo and three seats on both sides. The limousine looked spacious inside, but once the immediate family went into the car, it was crowded. Kay-Kay and I hopped into our seat, which was comfortable for both of us, while Dad strapped us in as he said, “Isn’t this the coolest?” Kay and I nodded. I looked behind me to wave to the other people but instead I saw another limo-looking car. ”Dad, is that the other limo for the people?” I asked.“No, Chae. That’s a hearse. Dad answered. I understood it now; that was Pop-Pop’s special limo. It didn’t look like a fun limo either. As our limo drove out of the driveway we saw six police on motorcycles; they conducted the traffic so the funeral group could get to the gravesite easier, without anyone getting lost. In a short time we arrived at the gravesite. We were a few minutes earlier then anyone else so it let Kay-Kay and I explore with dad before everyone else came. The gravesite was shaped like a cross. It was made that way since it was placed near the highway—also it was shaped that way probably for decoration. Pop-Pop’s grave was more then halfway at the head of the cross, but more to the right. Kay-Kay, Dad and I walked over to a few pillars; they were slide-in graves as well. Behind us was a huge wall and on it were nameplates and flowers. Momma called us over, for the burial was about to begin. The three of
us walked back to the tent, which held the burial. On the seats were red roses. We picked them up and sat down. Once again a quick eulogy was said. Some of Pop-Pop’s favorite hymns were sung. Then there was respectful silence as the funeral staff slowly and cautiously lowered the coffin into the ground. (In single file) Starting with the immediate family got up out of their seats and walked to the lowered coffin. Each of the roses was tossed on top of the when it was my turn, I tossed my rose in. Then I went behind the coffin with Kay-Kay and looked down.
How deep do you think it is?” Kay-Kay asked me.
“Six or seven feet, I guess.” I said
.“Wow, that’s really deep.” Kay-Kay said slowly, still looking in the coffin.

Chapter VI

BarB-Q-Farm

Most people left the gravesite; either it was too depressing or they just wanted to get home. The immediate family stayed longer, in deep concentration over all that had happened. I was feeling a little hungry since I had only eaten one meal. And it was well in the evening when I thought this. I told Kay, and Kay told Aunt Karen. Everyone agreed they were all hungry as well. We first decided to go to a seafood restaurant, but my cousins are picky eaters, so it was best to
go to BarB-Q-Farm, a fantastic B-B-Q restaurant. The limo drove us back to the funeral home where our cars were parked. Kay-Kay asked to drive with us in our car. Of course we said yes.

Chapter VII

The Man at BarB-Q-Farm.

With little traffic our car headed to BarB-Q-Farm with ease. The sun was setting and dark colors of amber and light colors of purple added a fantastic glow to the sky. The family arrived at almost the same time. BarB-Q-Farm lived up to its name. The exterior wore old, red paint, to set of a rustic look. The door had a black handle, with some painting chipped off of it. The window was outlined with a fresh coat of white paint. Our big family were regulars to
the restaurant and the owners knew Mema very well. “Hi, please seat yourself. A waiter will be with you soon.” Said an employee behind the desk. All of the tables and seats were picnic table styled. Our family of 13 sat down at the largest table, to have some elbowroom. We were almost the only ones in the restaurant except for one man, who looked like he was in his late 60’s—same as Pop-Pop. His hair was a dark grey, his eyes were blue. He wore a clean, white shirt
white khaki shorts and old tennis shoes.

Chapter VIII

The Grey Ghost.

He noticed I was staring at him. He smiled then waved, I waved back. “How do you do?” He asked. Dad turned his head and said, “Fine, how are you?”
“Just stopped here for a bite to eat. My car’s been having some
trouble lately. I took her into a shop.”
My dad (like most dads) is very interested in cars, “
Really?” He asked. “What type of car is it?”
”A Pontiac Bonneville. Its a good ‘ol car. I call
it the Grey Ghost.”
All heads turned to face him. Then looked away. Momma didn’t turn her head
away though, “That’s funny, that’s what my father used to call his car.” She said.
“Oh!” said the man with a chuckle, “We must have a lot o’ common then.”
“Sadly he passed away.” Momma Said.
The man looked away then smiled. He looked at Momma and said, “He’s in a better place now.”
The man was friendly and had a good sense of humor. We all felt at ease talking to him and we talked about Pop-Pop’s many good virtues. The man nodded as if he already knew Pop-pop very well. Our food came but the man was already finished his. He waited for us to finish our meal. He seemed to like talking to us. When it was time to go, we paid our bills and bid the man a
kind good-by. As the family and the man all walked out of the building we hopped in our cars. He walked over to his. The car was a dark grey with old windows and rusted door handles. Besides that, the car seemed to be in good shape. We pulled out off the driveway and were on the road towards home. I looked behind me and noticed the man was following us. I waved and he waved back. I looked away then decided to look back. The man was nowhere in site.
“He could of just turned into a different highway.” I thought to myself. I looked around,
no highways in sight. Our car was only on a one-way road, which would later have a few other highways to turn into. “But the man was behind us.” I thought again. “Momma, what was that man’s name?” I asked.“
We never asked, Chaelle.” Momma said. I slumped lower into my car seat in a deep thought. This man was almost the same age as Pop-Pop, talked like Pop-Pop, he smelled like he smoked too. He also had the same car name as Pop-Pop and the same type of car. Was he Pop-Pop? Or was he an angel? I was so confused at this time. I kept my thoughts secret until a few years later.

Chapter IX

A few years later

I was almost 11. I was on the computer playing games when I looked
out into the backyard, I saw my dad. I turned back to the computer when some caught my eye. I quickly looked out again. It was Pop-Pop! Or was it? My mouth dropped as I stared wide-eyed at the figure walking behind Dad. Surely Dad would have seen him. I wanted to tell my parents what I saw, but waited until Dad came into the house. “Didn’t you see Pop-Pop?” I asked.
“Yes, I’ve seen Pop-Pop before.” Dad joked.
“No! I mean today, I just saw him walking in the backyard, behind you. He was heading toward the shed.”
At this time Momma walked over to me and asked if I was feeling all right.
“What was he wearing?” Dad asked. After what Dad said, I did not know if he was mocking me or just asking.
“He wore a burgundy top with a brown belt, khaki pants and brown
shoes. He even walked like Pop-Pop!” I was almost exaggerating because I knew what I saw….
Whenever Pop-Pop would come over to my house, he would walk with Dad towards the shed to get some tools to fix something—anything. They always enjoyed it. But this time I don’t think Pop-Pop was going to help Dad. He was just watching… Just watching us.

ariellover4life
08-28-2006, 01:39 AM
wow! and this really happened?

Chaelle
08-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Yes, this did happen
~Chaelle

Chaelle
08-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Bumpity, bump, bump. Bumpity, bump, bump. Look at Frosty go! :xmas17:
Bumpity, bump, bump. Bumpity, bump, bump. Over the hills and snow! :xmas10:
~Chaelle

Chaelle
09-06-2006, 12:29 AM
I asked for this thread to be closed.
Oh well, hopefully I'll have better luck next time.
If you want to comment... do it via pm to me please:)
~Chaelle