View Full Version : New Newsletter 6/5/06

F0REVERL0ST
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
THIS IS THE VMK NEWSLETTER FOR 7/5/06

THIS IS JUST THE NEW INFORMATION

Push's Trash Talk

Woohoo! What a wet and wild weekend on those water slides! Those slides were the coolest with the ups and down and twists and turns and the final splashdown in the Water Park Pool. Thanks for sliding, everyone! I think that's the first time I've seen everyone's bare feet!

Those brand new rooms are fashioned after the real Disney Water Parks at Walt Disney World® Resort in Orlando, Florida. Here's the story behind each of those parks. . .

Blizzard Beach opened in April of 1995. The Disney legend says that a freak snowstorm hit the area, leading to the building of Florida's first-ever ski resort. Of course, the snow melted quickly, leaving behind a bunch of soggy and snow less ski jumps and chair lifts. The poor resort was about to close for good when an alligator was seen sliding down a flume and splashing into a pool of water, screaming "Woohoo!!!!" That is how the "ski resort" was turned into a water park, with Ice Gator the Alligator as its mascot.

Typhoon Lagoon opened in June of 1989, and is home to the world's largest outdoor wave pool. The Disney legend states that a typhoon wreaked havoc on a formerly beautiful and peaceful tropical paradise. Ships, fishing gear, and surfboards were picked up by the strong winds and landed where ever the storm had thrown them. The centerpiece of the park is the "Miss Tilly," a shrimp boat marooned high on a mountain named "Mount Mayday" that erupts with water every half hour.

These world famous water parks are great for those really hot summer days, dudes. But if you can't get to Florida, you can hang out in the virtual Blizzard and Typhoon rooms to cool down! Now, if only I could find a way to get these rooms.. hmmmm.. I'll get my wheels spinning on that and recycle any news I roll across! Stay tuned for updates. Catch ya later!

Waterslide Competition

The Build Your Own Waterslide competition is coming to VMK! This will be a team-based room competition where Players form a Pool Patrol and build their own versions of a giant water slide.

Each team is to have one Lifeguard as the team leader whose role is to coordinate the team and register the team for the competition.

Here are the rules:
- Each Pool Patrol is to consist of no less than 6 and no more than 20 members.
- The ride may not exceed 30 rooms in length.
- Players may only be on one Pool Patrol team.
- Each member of the Pool Patrol must contribute at least one room to the ride.
- The Lifeguard must be the owner of the Shallow End room, where the team's ride begins.
- Waterslides will be judged on color, creativity, and overall ride experience.

You must choose a name for your Pool Patrol. Choose carefully, it must be allowable in VMK and must fit into the room name, preceded by Shallow End (example: Shallow End Dumbo). No "dictionary dances" are permitted in any Pool Patrol room names (example: Shallow End Dumbo To is not allowed).

Registration will be open Monday July 10 through Sunday July 16. Only the first 200 Teams that have properly registered will be accepted. The Lifeguard will provide the names of all Pool Patrol members as well as the names of all rooms in the Pool Patrol's slide. Late entries will not be accepted.

Once a team's registration has been submitted no changes may be made to team name or team membership. Only registered teams will be judged.

Judging will take place between the following times:
Friday August 4, 2:30 - 8:30pm (Pacific)
Saturday August 5, 8:30am - 7:30pm (Pacific)
Sunday August 6, 8:30am - 7:30pm (Pacific)

Please try to keep your ride open during the event so that others can enjoy what you and your team have created.

Begin planning your water adventure!

Item of the Week

Each week we'll be revealing the history of an item, answering questions such as When did it first appear, how long was it in shops, is it rare? Check back each week for the info on another item.

Item: Raft Couch

Where can I buy it? Shrunken Ned's Shop

How much is it? 1000 credits

Are there any rare types? Nope. It is the only one of its kind.

What's it for? Racing down the slopes or lounging on a lazy river. It also makes for a comfy addition to any VMK room.

History: This raft looks very much like the ones you'll find at Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach Water Parks at the Walt Disney World® Resort in Orlando, Florida. It is used in such rides as Mayday Falls and Runoff Rapids.

Nickname: Giant Floaty

Team Competition Tip

Create a Team Lobby

What is a "Team Lobby"?

A "Team Lobby" is a room that is accessible to all the members of a team and the "Shallow End" start room of your waterslide. The room should belong to the Lifeguard of the Pool Patrol. Each player places a teleporter in their own room and then trades the matching teleporter to the Lifeguard to set down in the Lobby. A teleporter linking the Lobby to the "Shallow End" should be placed in this room as well with an item next to it to signify it is the entrance. The Hosts in VMK use this technique when building ride-a-thons and mazes. It's a great way for each player to be able to access the "Shallow End" whenever needed.

Scam Alert

Free Swimsuits!

While exploring VMK, you might see rooms claiming to be giving away "Free Swimsuits". These are scam rooms trying to get your hard-earned items by asking you to trade something first without getting anything in return while promising you a free swimsuit once the trade is over. Please do not attempt to trade for a swimsuit. The wetsuit is only an effect visible while you are on a waterslide piece. There is a bug that sometimes allows players to still wear the wetsuit once stepping off a slide but it is only a temporary effect. Please be careful when trading and when in doubt, find a Community Leader for help.

VMK Staff Profiles

Each week we interview a different member of the VMK Staff. Pay attention - the answers may prove useful in VMK-hosted trivia games!

Staff name: VMK_Fern

Three favorite pieces of furniture, and why?

The Water cooler, Water fountain and the underwater organ. Water is so refreshing and gives the room a peaceful atmosphere.

Favorite *type* of Guest Room?

Mad Hatter's tea party because of the Garden look to it.

Favorite Public Space?

The great night time at the front entrance.

Favorite Mini-Game? (ie: Pirates, haunted Mansion .. not the hosted games)

I love to play Fireworks.

Best VMK moment?

When I was on a team catching ghosts the other team was way ahead. One player on the other team got caught by a ghost on purpose and ran over to one of my teammates for them to catch them. Then turned around and did it again till we caught up in points. Then they went back to catching ghosts themselves. ( sometimes the fun is not just winning the game but how we play it).

Favorite place to hang out in VMK? Snow White's hide and seek area when several members are playing. It is fun to watch and to play.

Best tip for someone new to VMK?

The kindness someone shows you on VMK, pass onto another.

What one safety tip would you like to share with our readers?

Do not give out real life personal information.

MsBehave
07-05-2006, 06:41 PM

oh. my. fries.
CL_riccio isnt on right now... we might not be one of the first!

arg.. oh well. it was for fun anyways. thanks for the infor stitch

-CL_MsBehave

JasonDude
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Don't you mean 7/5/06? :)

DisneyFiggy
07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
OMG THat nuts, they will be judging like a month from now, I'll forget, i thought it was this weekend they were judging, :oh my

F0REVERL0ST
07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Mods please change the title to "New Newsletter 7/5/07".

My bad, lol.