View Full Version : The answer to "What is the wiki?" and other Frequently Asked Questions

Garfieldo
04-02-2006, 05:25 PM
There have been a lot of people asking questions on the forums and in live chat relating to Disneys Online Worlds. I've done my best to answer them here, and I hope that this will clear a few things up for you.

"What is Disneys Online Worlds?"

Disneys Online Worlds is a Wikipedia for VMK, Toontown, and other Disney online games. Owned by the Admins of TTC and VMKF, this wiki is not just for mods. You can sign up to become an editor for it, and help the wiki by adding information.

www.disneysonlineworlds.com

"I can't find the edit button! What do I do?!"

Not everyone can edit the wiki. You have to have a username and password, which you can learn how to get in this thread: http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45788

Either that, or you simply forgot to log in.

"What is a Wikipedia?"

A Wikipedia, or Wiki for short, is an online encyclopedia. There are different kinds of wikis, such as the main one containing information about just about everything, and then there's wikis that focus on one topic (This is the type DOW is).

"Who are the editors?"

http://disneysonlineworlds.com/index.php/Special:Listusers

"Why are Garfieldo, Teyla, The_Googleklunks and Bfen ops in #Disneysonlineworlds?"

Before, all wiki editors were ops in that channel, but now that rule has been removed. Now only four editors are allowed to be ops.

"There's something I want to add to the wiki, but it's taking forever to be accepted!!!"

If it's taken around three days or more, you were probably rejected. But if that happens and you still want to help, you can PM any information you'd like to be added to either me or another wiki editor.

"What's a Bureaucrat, sysop?"

Editors that have that by their names are wiki administrators.

"There's no place to register! What's going on?!"

All users are editors, and in order to be an editor you need to apply, and thus, you need to apply to have an account. If you were accepted, you will be given a username (exactly the same as the forum name you submitted in your e-mail), and a randomly generated password that can be changed in Preferences.

"I'm an editor, and I want to make a table of contents for one of my pages. How do I do it?"

They appear automatically if the page has four or more headlines.

"I want to be an editor! Where do I sign up?"

http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45788
Remember, it has to be an e-mail, not a PM.

"Where can we discuss content and structure of the wiki?"

On any page besides the special pages, there is a tab on the top of the article that says "Discussion". Click on it to go to the discussion page for that article. You can click the + button to add a "Post" (I find it easiest to make the subject/headline your username). An example of this can be found here: http://disneysonlineworlds.com/index.php/Talk:Main_Page
Another place is right here on VMKF, in the Disneys Online Worlds Guide (wiki) forum.

"The wiki is made by Disney, right?"

"This site is in no way affiliated with Disney or Disney Online and all content copyright their respective owners."

"I'm an editor, and I'm wondering how you get an image on your page."

First of all, if you want it to be a thumbnail, put this on your page: [[Image:ImageName.ImageFile|thumb| The text you want under the thumbnail goes here.]] If you just want a normal picture, enter this: [[Image:ImageName.ImageFile]]. Once it's been added, save changes, and find it on the page. It should still be a hyperlink that takes you to a page where you click the "Upload" hyperlink to go to the upload page. This works exactly like Imageshack. Just Browse for the image you want, and upload it.

"What is a stub?"

A stub is a short wiki article. You can add the stub message by putting {{stub}} on a page. The stub message is to let editors know that the article needs expanding. Clicking "expanding it." takes you to that page's edit.

"Why is there a Micro Manager and Cold Caller in the stub message?"

Just a little joke, since both have names relating to being small.

"How do I edit a page?"

1. E-mail (not PM) Nick for a wiki username. If you were accepted, you'll get a reply with your Username and Password.

2. Go to www.disneysonlineworlds.com .

3. Log in.

4. Go to the article you want to edit.

5. Click the "edit" tab at the top of the article.

6. Edit it like you would edit a post.

StitchMad
04-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Very good idea, I think this thread should be stickied for further use :)

~StitchMad

prisoner
04-02-2006, 05:53 PM

Garfieldo
04-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks. ;) Added.

Schmoofy
04-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Nice guide Garfieldo, I even read it ;)

Garfieldo
04-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I went ahead and added the answers to a couple of questions that are asked a lot.

Spacepiratejosh
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Wiki is cool because anyone can edit it.:pirate:

Garfieldo
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Added question related to stubs.

Jolber
04-23-2006, 08:07 PM
thanks will try to register

Adventurebry
04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Am I allowed to edit anything I want? LIke right now I was going to add a picture to VMK_Red..

EDIT: another question, are we allowed to put a link that goes to a different page on the wiki?

Teyla
05-03-2006, 05:16 AM
EDIT: another question, are we allowed to put a link that goes to a different page on the wiki?
To my knowledge, yes you can.

-Toashtee

Garfieldo
10-21-2006, 04:09 AM
I thought this might be useful to some new editors, so I'll bump it up. :)

SpinMarty
10-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Nice FAQ. What I would like to add a few things since, when I came back online, Prisoner and I have taken the awesome work that was there and reformatted for consistancy throughout the VMK section.

1) When editing, please add what you do to the "summary" so that other editors can easily see in the "recent changes" link.

2) All dates should follow the day month year (20 October 2006) format

3) Don't be offended if another editor changes what you did. It may be for consistency purposes or maybe for formatting purposes.

4) If you are unsure about how to do anything post in the wiki forum here on VMKf and ask for help. Or you can PM an editor such as myself.

EDIT: 5)
All photos need to be uploaded to the wiki. No outside photo hosting. This keeps everything in house and cuts out on photos not loading due to other sites being down.

Insanity
12-11-2006, 01:30 PM
How long is it expected for me to wait before a reply on the account?

prisoner
12-11-2006, 01:42 PM
How long is it expected for me to wait before a reply on the account?

It depends how busy Nick is. Sometimes it can take a week or even longer to get a reply. If it has been over a week, feel free to email Nick again, or PM him on here to find out what is going on.

But just be patient - Nick can be pretty busy.

Insanity
12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
OK. thanks, I just sent mine.. last night, so I probably wont get a reply maybe a week or so..

Fafau
12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
OK, so wait, let me get this straight: all VMKForums users are members on Disney Online Worlds automatically?

prisoner
12-21-2006, 01:13 PM
OK, so wait, let me get this straight: all VMKForums users are members on Disney Online Worlds automatically?

Not exactly. While everyone who uses VMKForums is welcome to visit the Wiki and read it, you need to be an editor of Disney Online Worlds to be able to change pages.

If you're visiting - you're welcome to post comments, feedback, and pointers to information that needs editing in this forum.

To become an editor, however, you do need to be a member of either VMKForums or one of our sister sites first. This is so we can see that you're serious about helping out the VMK community and not somebody who just wants to make random comments on the wiki.