View Full Version : Disney/Pixar Update

Facnyface
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Buzz Lightyear. Woody. Nemo. The Incredibles clan. They're characters that children dream about and adults remember with a smile. And now, the creative minds behind them are about to become part of the Disney family.

On January 24, 2006, Robert Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, announced that Disney has agreed to acquire computer animation leader Pixar in a transaction expected to be completed by this summer.

Next summer's "Cars" will be the first Pixar release as a part of the Disney family, and more films are in the works. Pixar will retain its unique identity - and its adorable desklamp logo - while Pixar President Ed Catmull will serve as president of the new Pixar and Disney animation studios.

The partnership between Pixar and Disney has deep roots, going all the way back to 1991. The first result was 1995's "Toy Story," which revolutionized the world of computer animation. And ever since, Pixar films have been distributed by The Walt Disney Company, proudly displaying both the Pixar logo "Luxo Jr." and the Disney castle.

What makes this such a natural match? Any parent whose child has declared "To infinity and beyond!" or been hero-struck to shake hands with Mickey Mouse at a Disney theme park knows...

jdrocks
02-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Yes, I knew this already it has been on the news.
But thank you for sharing!! :)

WDWTigger72
02-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Just wanted to reply also and say there was already a thread discussing this Disney Buys Pixar (http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36730) but if you wanted to share some information I can add the following:

Walt Disney Co. and Pixar Animation Studios Inc. have agreed to extend their current distribution agreement to include Pixar's 2007 release, "Ratatouille," a deal that will be moot if Disney's proposed acquisition of Pixar closes this summer as expected.

The two companies negotiated what amounts to a one-picture extension as a fail-safe measure in case the acquisition doesn't happen.

"This is a deal that Disney and Pixar negotiated independent of the proposed merger to handle the distribution of 'Ratatouille' until such time as the transaction closes," Pixar said Thursday in a statement.

Pixar would finance all the production costs of "Ratatouille" and pay Disney a straight distribution fee under the new deal, according to a regulatory filing. Pixar would also own the film.

The extension differs from the current arrangement, where Disney and Pixar split the production costs and the profits, and share ownership of the copyright.

The animated movie is about a rat named Ratatouille who lives in an upscale Parisian restaurant run by an eccentric chef, according to the Internet Movie Database.

NOTE: This happened yesterday 02/02/2006 in case the acquisition does not go very well...

Oranges
02-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Thank you very much for your information, but this type information has been posted numerous times already.

WDWTigger72
02-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Thank you very much for your information, but this type information has been posted numerous times already.

Actually, I placed in the link containing the original discussion thread above, and reviewing that thread and other areas it says nothing about the deal above...You may want to check but I do not see anywhere else someone has posted the one year extension deal...The other thread only talks about the merger and buyout...

Oranges
02-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Well, the only idea I picked out of the opening post is that Disney bought Pixar. Lol, oh well. The only Disney thing I care about is Disney World :D.

WDWTigger72
02-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Well, the only idea I picked out of the opening post is that Disney bought Pixar. Lol, oh well. The only Disney thing I care about is Disney World :D.

LOL, Goes double for me...Well then again since I own disney stock I want them to do well, so yeah keep on going to the park :-)

Oranges
02-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Oh you can be sure of that....;)