View Full Version : Disney buys out Playdom

Chululli
08-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Disney recently bought out the social gaming company playdom, saying (paraphrase) that they see potential in there team. Could it be possible that they did this for creating a vmk like game, or to bring it back?

SoccerRyan
08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
This is big news! An article about this said:

Meantime, too, the online gaming industry is hip-deep into a massive shift away from fee-based, pay-to-play games and into free gaming, says gaming analyst Scott Steinberg.

“The cash outlays are so small; people don’t hesitate to play,” says Steinberg. Players get to start playing without spending a dime, but as they play, the opportunities to spend $1 here, $2 there, multiply. How can you be a successful farmer on FarmVille without buying seeds...?"

Sounds like Disney could work with Playdom to rebuild VMK, making it free to play with items to optionally purchase here and there to gain an advantage over other players (i.e. magic, rare clothing, furniture) or with any other creative way Disney could gain revenue from its players without forcing them to commit to monthly payments. This is yet another piece of evidence that supports the hopeful position that Disney would bring back VMK.

Additionally, this a wonderful opportunity for Disney to take advantage of social networking, a trend that has exploded over recent years. I can see it now: "Just have your parents purchase Cinderella 7 before it goes back in the Disney Vault forever, redeem the code inside the case, and you will receive 500 seeds for your Disney Farm!"

Broccolisprout
08-10-2010, 12:10 AM
I can't see Disney making a Cinderella 7, but you have a good point.

Lol, anyways, this looks somewhat promising. If VMK came back, I would definitely play it, if it were free with a few pay-to-add things. A buck here and there is fine with me, just not $10 monthly. I already pay for Pixie Hollow and Pirates, thank you very much.

bluedudeman
08-10-2010, 02:48 AM
I heard something about this before the post, and am glad it is confirmed.

This is amazing, and I do actually have hope now for VMK, it looks like a good thing to do but you never know with Disney.

Hopefully though!

Chululli
08-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Yeah it was originally a rumor but it was confirmed Thursday.There's a small article on a website about it but I'm not sure if I could post it

GoodPolarGirl
08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I must say that this piece of news has added a tidbit of hope in my heart. :) I refuse to put my hopes any higher, though....

TiggerDude
08-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Here's an article about it. Very short, really.
Disney is purchasing social gaming company Playdom (Social City, Sorority Life) for half a billion dollars. EA's got Playfish. Disney now has Playdom. FarmVille maker Zynga still rules. Social sites' gaming's huge and the big companies are clearly very into it.

Broccolisprout
08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
That is a short article. I wonder why Disney bought Playdom... I'm not getting my hopes up, this is probably for one of their other games, but it's a possibility that they might bring back VMK :)

Chululli
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I guess we could only hope but it fits the part of sulake leaving and Disney having to recreate vmk

chops
08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I guess we could only hope but it fits the part of sulake leaving and Disney having to recreate vmk

Yes, but that would be better than not having one at all. :)

Chululli
08-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Yes, but that would be better than not having one at all. :)

I know :p i was just saying it fits in with the sulake-Disney conflict

BaseballStarz
10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
I know this is quite late, I'd like to bring this up for discussion again. While I was searching for information like this on google, it directed me here.

So I mean if this is true, how long do you guys think it will be until we hear more news?