View Full Version : Sir, how would you like your thrill today?

FlyThenFall
07-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I've always wanted to know what Disney fans thought about this issue...Do you prefer the psychological thrill (I.E. the mind games a ride uses to scare you) or the more physical, visceral thrill (I.E. the actual physical forces that push against your body) when riding a thrill ride?

Personally, I'm a fan of the mind games. Although much tamer rides, I get more "scared" while riding Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain than I do when I tackle extreme coasters at 6 Flags. It's the built up ideas of "danger" and "imminent doom" that excite me and get my blood pumping. Sure, I'll be more than happy to sit in a coaster chair and be dropped 250 feet into a little tunnel in the ground, but I'd be even more excited to dodge skeletons, fire, and the curse of Mara!

So what do you all think....proceed! :)

sonofshine
07-05-2005, 04:23 PM
I like a little bit of both :) Mission:Space for example. You feel the force pushing on you, but without hte famous disney story line you wouldn't know hwta in the world it was! lol...It builds up anxiousness by warning you about things over and over and over again before the ride :) Without the mental and Physical parts of this ride put together it wouldn't be very exciting :)

shiregirl
07-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I am definately more responsive to psychological thrills. Probably the bigggest thrill I ever got was from Alien Encounter at the Magic Kingdom in WDW. (I know it isn't there anymore). That thing scared the living daylights out of me! It was awesome. :D

Eek, I can still hear that crazy alien stalking me and feel him behind me. Ack! Who's there!? :eek:

I have a problem that prevents me from enjoying rides like they have at Magic Mountain, etc. I get sick. :@@: Really sick: nauseous (usually with unfortunate results), dizzy, sweaty, etc. Even when I take a motion sickeness pill, I still get sick, and then I am sleepy to boot. Sometimes even the tamer roller coasters like Space Mountain (based on the old one at Disneyland: haven't been on the new version yet) make me a little woozy. I still love Space Mountain though. And I do love attractions like Tower of Terror and the Maliboomer (DCA). I think one of the best attractions that is a mix of these two ride genres in Soaring Over California at DCA. Seriously, that is one of the neatest things I've ever been on. I highly recommend it to anyone who may be visiting DCA anytime soon. (I think I've been on it close to 50 times)

CarribbeanLady
07-05-2005, 05:18 PM
:wave2: I think I like the mind tricks like on Test Track where you don't know if the doors will open in time.I also like on the Haunted Masion where the ghouls pop out at ya!I go on it every time we go and I still jump when they pop out!But that is the best thing about Disney rides.You never know what is going to happen! :wave2:

prisoner
07-05-2005, 05:56 PM
"Both"

Without both, it isn't really a thrill ride to me. (Part of why I don't like Mission: Space or Test Track, but thats another discussion.)

I've been on gravity drop rides (like the Maliboomer in DCA), and all I wanted to do was throw up and never go near one again. But on the Tower of Terror (at least the one in WDW), there is an elaborate story that sets the scene, builds up the suspense, and the drop (which is faster than gravity - bit of trivia there) becomes both a physical and psychological thrill. I get off ToT swearing that I will NEVER ride it again... but I always find myself going for a fastpass...

To me, this is the mark of a true Disney ride - it works on multiple levels and in multiple ways. So if you just like it for the acceleration - you can. But if you like the story, the subtleness, the architecture, whatever - you can find everything them in the best Disney attractions.

Jediviper
07-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Definitely both! With out the psychological side of things the rides just aren't the same.
I do like the straight up thrill rides (X at Magic Mountain is killer!) but I am always disappointed if the atmosphere is not done correctly.
That's a big reason I like Disneyland better than M.M., they simply put more effort into everything.
Now if we could just get Disney to build some more really killer rides with the Disney touch...

BTW. Tower ROCKS!

XDisneyphileX
07-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I like both kinds of thrills, but I don't like to actually be afraid when I am on a ride. That's why I don't like haunted houses (with the exception of some grim grinning ghosts of course) and scary movies. I really don't understand how so many people think it is actually fun to be afraid that they are going to get hurt or killed (which is what I think in haunted houses and scary movies lol). But lots of people say that they are "scared" on roller coasters and I think that a lot of the time, what they mean is that they are "thrilled." I am never scared on thrill rides, unless it is old rickety and I am afraid it is going to fall apart any second. But rides like Indiana Jones, where there is more to be exicted about than something like the simple fact that you are plunging straight down on the tallest, fastest roller coaster in the world (yea Kingda Ka!), are definatley thrilling too, and still not scary. They make you more interested in all the action that is going on around you because you are actually part of the story. I think Disney parkes are the only real THEME parks out there, because no one else does a good enough job of giving the rides a meaning and immersing the rider in the story, even as they walk through the park as a whole.