View Full Version : Disney to buy Marvel in $4bn deal

StitchMad
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Entertainment giant Walt Disney is to buy Marvel Entertainment in a shares and cash deal valued at $4bn (£2.5bn).

The deal means Disney will take over ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters, such as Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Marvel shareholders will get $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share owned.

The boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the deal, which now needs the backing of Marvel shareholders and competition authorities.

Marvel shares were ahead $10.17, or 26%, to $48.82 shortly after the market opened. Disney shares fell 47 cents, or 1.8%, to $26.37.

Wonder if Universal saw this coming? Remember the Spiderman ride and attractions at Islands of Adventure.

the_phoenix
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, that sounds interesting....wonder if they DO get the rights, what will they do with them? Maybe a Virtual Super Hero Kingdom? :D

sonic99979
08-31-2009, 05:18 PM
That wont be good... Ugh that stinks...

PowerfulSonicMint
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Great... Just great. With Disney buying Marvel, Marvel will flourish. They won't make sales anymore. Marvel just lost thousands, even millions of fans around the globe because of Disney buying them. I'm a true hater of Disney now, soon they'll be buying all of our major companies and turning them to magical places. HAS THIS WORLD GONE BONKERS WITH THIS?!? AND YES, DISNEY IS NOW TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Thriller
08-31-2009, 08:33 PM
They will maybe make a Universal Studios and Disneyland mixture. :o

Sly cooper
08-31-2009, 09:30 PM
It sort of makes sense because most of the shows they have on Disney XD are Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic 4, etc.

SoccerRyan
08-31-2009, 10:26 PM
That's gonna be weird...Spiderman just doesn't belong with Disney. I really hope Disney doesn't change Spiderman's image too much. Then again, his image was already tinkered with in Spiderman 3...

Neoteny
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to Spider-Mouse, Beauty and the Hulk, and Lilo & Thor.

Sly cooper
09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I just hope I don't see Spidey crawling up the castle instead of Stitch, or spinning a web to Tomorrowland and gliding down it before the fireworks.

acefredfred
09-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to Spider-Mouse, Beauty and the Hulk, and Lilo & Thor.
Yes... Seriously yes!
- ace

Ms.PrincessLucy
09-01-2009, 01:16 AM
This will be interesting... What will Disney do with the 5,000 comic characters?

Abrahamman
09-01-2009, 11:43 PM
XD funny! it would look weird if there was a Spider-Man 4 and the intro was the Disney Castle intro thing XD

and yes the rides in Universal and Island of Adventure are part of the rights unless Disney sells the rides back to them

EDIT: 500th POST!!!

Sly cooper
09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Actually, Universal can keep the rides, they just have to pay a fee to Disney.

canogon
09-02-2009, 01:14 AM
hmm... since I dont want to get banned from here Im just going to say -no comment-

Palkia
09-02-2009, 03:49 AM
I heard in the news that Disney is buying Marvel...so the next time you go to DLR, you might see Spiderman's face >.< Is it true????? I just want to know.

Palkia
09-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Oops I just posted a thread on this subject and didn't noticed this 0.o
Well in my opinion, Marvel shouldn't be bought. Marvel shall stay the same as just Marvel because then when I see the movies, the first thing it'll say for the copyrights is....^drumroll please...^ DISNEY!! 0.o

Palkia
09-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Great... Just great. With Disney buying Marvel, Marvel will flourish. They won't make sales anymore. Marvel just lost thousands, even millions of fans around the globe because of Disney buying them. I'm a true hater of Disney now, soon they'll be buying all of our major companies and turning them to magical places. HAS THIS WORLD GONE BONKERS WITH THIS?!? AND YES, DISNEY IS NOW TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

If they take Pokemon or Sonic, I'll faint.
Later...
Hannah Montana: Gotta catch em all!
Yeah don't think so. >.<

the_phoenix
09-02-2009, 04:23 AM
So, now instead of Xavier's School for the Gifted it'll be Xavier's Gifted School Musical? Oh, great...>.<

Vivi
09-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Just peachy.
You can't imagine a Spiderman movie or Superman or something of the sort with the Disney intro.
IT'S WRONG AND UNJUST! xD

EmmaatMk
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
If they take Pokemon or Sonic, I'll faint.
Later...
Hannah Montana: Gotta catch em all!
Yeah don't think so. >.<

Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised. Lol I would also freak if Disney bought pokemon or sonic. Next on disney channel:

"Sonic the Hedgehog- the musical" :)

Sly cooper
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog - the musical, huh? ......................AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! CURSE YOU DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EmmaatMk
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
If that would ever happen, there would most likely be: 10 movies, 17 soundtracks (all of the deluxe edition stuff), 20 dvds, and countless dolls, clothes, etc. Lol high school musical all over again :):)

Pisces
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
x.x Just because Disney bought Marvel doesn't mean anything will change... We all are of the opinion that Disney was in this for the money right? Well Marvel already brings in lots of money, so isn't there the slightest chance that Disney will keep things as they are, keep the same staff, just be the ones receiving the money?
x.x Save the going crazy for when you see what actually happens

EmmaatMk
09-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I hope nothing will big will change.. like let's say a spiderman cartoon on disney channel? lol. And Pisces, I'll try to keep the craziness under control.. XD

Sly cooper
09-03-2009, 10:14 PM
They already have 4 Spiderman shows on Disney XD. 'Spiderman', 'Spiderman Unlimited', 'Spiderman and his Amazing Friends' (really cheesy title if you ask me.), and 'The Spectacular Spiderman.'

PMFan
09-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Oh No! If Disney were to take over the world, I'd officially hate Disney! A pokemon singing Hannah Montana! Spider Man breaking in to song Joe Jonas Replacing Mario, Phineas and Ferb meeting... oh wait, Phineas and Ferb Rock

Palkia
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised. Lol I would also freak if Disney bought pokemon or sonic. Next on disney channel:

"Sonic the Hedgehog- the musical" :)

Grr. I can't imagine Sonic singing, "BET ON IT BET ON IT!"
I can imagine shadow though ;p (I have a hatred for shadow sorry shadow fangirls)
And to add Hannah's double life....
IT'S TRIPLE NOW!
Half normal, half popstar AND half pokemon trainer!!!!! 0_o

EmmaatMk
09-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Grr. I can't imagine Sonic singing, "BET ON IT BET ON IT!"
I can imagine shadow though ;p (I have a hatred for shadow sorry shadow fangirls)
And to add Hannah's double life....
IT'S TRIPLE NOW!
Half normal, half popstar AND half pokemon trainer!!!!! 0_o

Lol! That would be awful.. but it was funny.
Yup, Shadow singing a song about finding chaos emeralds or something...
I can see it now... xD

TikiPin_Dude
09-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Ugh I am disappointed.... this truely ruins the magic of disney. I cant imagine Heroes or Marvel rides in Disneyland... takes away the magic feeling so much.... I hope they are just in it for the money :\

GoodPolarGirl
09-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Strangely enough, I find this as a good idea. Disney really has been losing touch with it's male audience, and I find that this will be a good way to balance with the current princess/fairies popularity.

Palkia
09-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Lol! That would be awful.. but it was funny.
Yup, Shadow singing a song about finding chaos emeralds or something...
I can see it now... xD
Lawlz.
Then Knuckles is going to come and steal the Master Emerald.
Lawlz.

DisneyFan
09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Hopefully they don't.

It will change the whole aspect of Disney