View Full Version : Disney CCG (Card Game)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
In the forums sometime ago I suggested for interest a possible disney card game based on licenses from the different disney parks scattered across the globe. I have been working with a team to get the game mechanics down and an official business report to submit to Disney for the possibility of this game to be created with official ties to the Walt Disney Co. and sold in the parks.

The game consists of you and your opponent(s) creating your own theme park with Disney attractions, entertainments shows, etc.... The goal is to get a certain number of guests before your opponent, and if you run out of funds you loose the game. (There are alternative win conditions, but we won't get into those now) There are alot more mechanics but thats the goal.

Is anyone out here interested in being beta-testers for the card game so we can more finally tune the mechanics before presenting it to Disney?

Abrahamman
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Oh cool! i love card games! And LOVE Disney stuff! Make it all together u will have me explode with joy :D

Ill be happy to be a beta tester

.:Blue:.
07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
This is a great idea, I'd be happy to be a beta tester. :)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Great to hear Abrahamman and Blue, I am just working with my team to finalize two starter decks, and once they are finalized I will contact you both so you can print them out and try the game. Also if you have any questions about the game or ideas of things you would like to see, let us know by posting here.

I was PM'd by a couple people, anyone can still post if they wish to take part in the mechanics testing.

BuzzBoy133
07-12-2009, 03:28 AM
Oooooh, I wanna try :D

Abrahamman
07-12-2009, 04:19 AM
oh cool! can i play with my friends and let them know about the game? or should i only play with a familiy member whn i get ur pm?

07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Great to hear Abrahamman and Blue, I am just working with my team to finalize two starter decks, and once they are finalized I will contact you both so you can print them out and try the game. Also if you have any questions about the game or ideas of things you would like to see, let us know by posting here.

OK! :) This is gonna be great.

Sly cooper
07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Sure, I'll try!

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-12-2009, 07:06 PM
By all means when we have the cards ready for you to play with, play with your friends, the idea is to get the major mechanics worked out. Again this is not official, until we have put in the buisness plan to Disney, but we want to make sure players enjoy the game before we go to them. Sly and Buzz have been added to the list, we should have things ready within a week or so. Let me know if you have any idea we could try incorporating. Look forward to talking to you all soon.

GoodPolarGirl
07-13-2009, 03:05 AM
Oooh, me me me me! *raises hand really high*

And good thing you caught me right after I got a new printer. :)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Ok you have been added GoodPolar Girl you have been added to the list.

Also as we are finishing up our test decks we thought we would give you some information about the game to tease your interest until the PDF's are finished. You and your opponent will be building a custom version of a Disney theme park. Each player has their own decks, but plays in a common area. So you have to be-careful and be thinking ahead of your opponent, because each card earn's one time bonuses from nearby cards when you lay them down. Don't worry there isn't alot of math work to keep track of. We wanted to make sure the gameplay had strategy but didn't require you to pull out a calculator or pen and pencil, a couple dice will do.

In addition to the Building Zone where the park is constructed, you can play events, cast members, and even dining items to enhance the bonuses the cards you lay down will receive. Unlike common bonuses from cards your place in the Building Zone, most of the events, cast members, etc... will only grant you bonuses or abilities.

Anyway more information later, feel free to comment.

bluedudeman
07-16-2009, 01:52 AM
If it is in anyway possible, I would love to test this.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Ok your added to the list to bluedudeman, people keep submitting if you want to be a part of beta, and please feel free to comment or talk about things you would like to see or experience in a Disneyland CCG.

Another tidbit to give you after getting some questions. We were asked if the turn is static, meaning you don't have any options to effect your opponent when its not your turn. There are interrupts which can be played during either players turn, as well as effects from events and other cards which can be triggered during your opponents turn as well. An example of an interrupt include a card like Mechanical Breakdown which prevents an attraction from being scored and its bonuses from being scored, and its abilities (if any) from being used.

Matterz
07-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Sounds interesting, I'd like to sign up for the beta phase of the game... :)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Ok Matterz you have been added to the list. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lets talk about cast members. Cast members come in two types generic and iconic. Generic cast members are jobs like a tour guide, hostess, janitor, etc.... Each bring their own set of skills to you side of the table and allow you to play or defend against cards requiring specific skills. Iconic cast members include people like Walt Disney or Julie Rehm the first Disney Ambassador. Cast members are just another way you can customize your deck for a variety of strategies.

supernov
07-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I would like to try it. :)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok Supernov you also have been added to the list.

When designing the game we wanted to keep the play area manageable so you wouldn't have a many foot sprawl in any direction (as was a problem in the building Sim City CCG). The game has been designed so it could be played on 3x3 table and could be played for instance at any of the many tables in New Orleans or Critter County in the park. We are taking into consideration if this does go off we could hold tournaments in the park. Of course you would always use a bigger surface if you did want to make a sprawl or up the win conditions of the game.

Look forward to hearing more comments and beta testers.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Almost done with one of the demo deck, I look forward to emailing those people so far on the list within the next ten days.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Its been a little slow going, but the decks are getting done, we realized in one of our last play groups that there were a few combo's that were to overpowered so we have been restructuring.

08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
That's good; at least it's coming along. :)

Abrahamman
08-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Cool :)

its good that u tell us so we can hope it gets ready soon

VMKKwaiChangCaine
08-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Ya I want to keep everyone in the loop, school has just started back up and a few of my team members had to move in to their respective schools so we are back on track and updates will come soon

bluedudeman
08-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I really hope so :D I'm getting excited lol

TiggerDude
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
:Sleeping:Um...when are you going to update it again?

bluedudeman
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I was excited about it a year ago...haha

Broccolisprout
08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
The guy hasn't been on since New Year's. I doubt if this'll ever come out. Sounded interesting though :)

Chululli
08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd like to, but it seems like you have plenty of people. And I'm only on my computer once every two days usually. I use my iPod, but there's no flash for playing games D: then again this honestly looks abandoned.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Hello all, I know its been along time but thats because I have been busy getting hired by Apple and well its been a busy year, however I will be posting new templates for the game which I think everyone will agree not only look more professional but much more refined. Can't wait to actually get this ball rolling once and for all.

GoodPolarGirl
10-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Cool, thanks for the update! Can't wait. :)

(Congrats on getting hired by Apple, btw)

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-26-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks, its been fun working for such a great company. During the first year of development on and off with my original group we found out alot the worked and alot the didn't and I will hope to routinely post updates and not get ahead of ourselves with dates of 10 days for starter decks. We realized by designing in a vacuum that we were limited to the ideas we could develop and I will be posting lots of what we have done for comments from everyone out here in VMK Forums to help hone in on the gaming experience we all would want to see from Disney and a product we would want to eventually purchase ourselves at the Parks and Disney Stores.

Looking forward to posting more soon. : )

Adventurebry
10-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Iconic cast members include people like Walt Disney or Julie Rehm the first Disney Ambassador. Cast members are just another way you can customize your deck for a variety of strategies.

Ooh, this sounds interesting. If it is not too late, and you are still planning on releasing it, I wouldn't mind being on the tester list. You had me at Julie Rehm. I actaully laughed, she is part of an inside joke between my sister and me. Anyway, this sounds fun and hope to see it all work out!

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-26-2010, 04:07 AM
Of course you can be a part of it, as I post rules, example cards and gameplay scenarios I am hoping the community will be able to add input. Once enough of the material is in a workable state, starter decks will be provided via download for play testing. I look forward to posting more detailed information with the VMK community soon.

And of course all rights belong to Disney and the purpose of this is to polish a game that could be presented in a business document to Disney for publishing.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-29-2010, 02:40 AM
We are getting close to having some templates ready for beta testing, but we would love to show off what we have been working on with some help from all of you. Post three ideas of things from the parks you would like to see in the card game. The top 3 ideas will be designed by the team and myself and be published onto the forums. This will not only give you a great idea of what the cards look like, but all give you some input in the game.

So like I said Top 3 ideas in the next 3 days. Each person can only vote once but tell you other VMK Forums friends to post and the designs will be up within 48 hours of the end of the voting period.

Looking forward to seeing what kinds of ideas people have. Remember it doesn't have to be an attraction, could be an event, resteraunt, item, person....

Have fun thinking of ideas and we will have fun designing them.

Adventurebry
10-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Hmm.. lets see. I think I would like to see a Olde World Antiques shop card, a Discovery Island card, and a 20k Under the Sea Ride card, mainly because these are nostalgic pieces of the past, and because of the mystery behind one of them (Discovery Island, abandoned). 20k was often seen as one of the best rides Disney ever had, and Olde World Antiques a model for entertainment over money (although this made it great, it also most likely led to its demise).

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Great ideas, I am glad someone has suggested Discovery Island, thats a name of a lost imagineering idea I haven't heard in a long time. I know there are more people viewing this thread, lets get some more suggestions guys and gals.

Broccolisprout
10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I agree with Discovery Island.

I'd like to see Small World, and I'd also like the ride from the Norwegian country in Epcot. You know, the World Pavilion? I forget what it was called, I'll look at our park maps.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
10-30-2010, 04:52 AM
I think you are referring to Maelstrom at the Norwegian pavilion. Sounds like a good vote. I was actually surprised at how cool that ride was when I went to Epcot for the first time.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
11-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Only a couple responses, come on forums I know more of you are looking out there and reading. Lets try getting a couple more votes in.

bluedudeman
11-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Well.. Honestly I don't want them all to be old attractions :P

I would like, a Discovery Island card (because everyone else was saying it :P), Le cellier < - - spelling it wrong, amazing restaurant in Canada, didn't even feel like trying to spell it right. And... The TTA!

If that's possible, if not, I'll change my votes lol.

Thank you!

Adventurebry
11-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Though I do like all mine (sorry for them all being extinct attractions :P.) I deffinately agree with the TTA Peoplemover (love the change to that name, happy compromise). I also like Dreamfinder, as an idea for a person (sorry, extinct again!), although the rules are only 3, but just thought of another suggestion, so make with it what you will, if there are any other fans of Dreamfinder.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
11-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Since only a few individuals are contributing I will say to suggest anything you would like and we will do our best to design them. The ideas can come from any era of any park. However this line of help may stop soon depending on a message I received about copyright and trade marks and such. I will be discussion with what the point of this is with that party and will keep everyone informed of the progress.

Thank you all for your support so far.

Broccolisprout
11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I think you are referring to Maelstrom at the Norwegian pavilion.

Yeah, that ride. It is fun, isn't it?

I think your problem with copyrights is coming from the fact that Disney does copyright a lot of their ride names. I'm assuming you've already talked to Disney on using their rides/attractions, if not, I'd try to do that.

VMKKwaiChangCaine
11-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes I have talked and since its a business plan that will be presented with Disney that is not the officials issue, the issue seems to be the development of the idea with a community instead of a closed project being presented to Disney, so that they would be able to build their own marketing campaign if they choose to run with the idea. I will post information as I can.

GoodPolarGirl
11-04-2010, 02:40 AM
I think we need a card for all of the mountains. Space, Splash, and Big Thunder. And Expedition Everest would be cool, too. Maybe there could be a Yeti on it, that'd be cute. :]

VMKKwaiChangCaine
11-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Great more votes are wonderful. Still in takes with the representative to maintain the community spirit of the test phase of the game.