View Full Version : VMKF Temporary Site Closure/Gallery Changes

TooHip
02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Many of you no doubt noticed that VMKForums was closed all day February 22nd. We felt it was necessary for all of us to step back and think about what VMKF is and what it means to be able to use this site. Most notably, that we are all guests here. As guests, we are expected to adhere to the rules and ideals of the site owner and administration.

Recently there were several posts saying that the rules are too strict, the site is dying, or that the staff is unfair. Most of which seem to be backlash to changes in filtered image hosting sites. We want you to know that as staff, we understand your frustration from these changes. It is never an easy decision to block a popular hosting site, particularly as the choices for approved sites narrows. We understand the impact it has. However, the need to filter these sites is clear and the rules that make it so have been long-standing. For the most part, the rules on VMKF have not changed since its inception and we dont believe there is cause to change them now.

Perhaps what has changed since the site opened is our users expectations. This site was founded on the idea of VMK fans coming together to share their discoveries, ideas, and enthusiasm for the game; to form a community that extended beyond the bounds of the game itself. To that end, VMKF has been wildly sucessful. But with VMK's closure, the purpose for VMKF comes into question. Naturally, there was discussion on how long the site would remain open after the game ended. Ideally, we want to stay open for as long as there are fans of the game that want to remain a community. But when the users question the very existence of the site for its rules, it gives us pause. Ultimately the purpose of the site remains unchanged, yet with less to discuss it seems there is a need for change. The truth is, as sad as it may seem, the natural progression for this site will be one of diminishing activity.

Going forward we expect everyone to respect the forums rules (http://www.disneyonlineworlds.com/index.php/Policies_and_Disclaimers), the moderation staff, and the decisions made by the administration. We are open to hearing concerns and suggestions but we will not tolerate flaming, name calling, or general bashing of the site and its staff. It is counterproductive and rude to those that devote hours upon hours contributing to this site, staff and users alike.

Also, to make our own photo hosting (Gallery (http://www.vmkforums.com/gallery/)) more user friendly, we have removed the need to have a moderator approve photos for unmoderated users. We are doing this on a trial basis. We will continue to check all images uploaded just as before, only now you wont have to wait for approval to use them. If you find you your image is missing, it most likely was removed by a moderator. If we find too many bad images in the gallery, we will revoke this privilege.

We thank all of you for your consideration and continued participation here.

taylorswiftfan13
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I think that some people deserved that you closed the site yesterday.
There was tons of complaining and I was getting sick of it too.
Thanks so much for making the compromise about the gallery!

FabMariah
02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Thank you so much! I heart the gallery's new rule... it will make it so much easier to upload now- thanks!

Vivi
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
thank you for the closure of yesterday. I didn't even know about it until I came home from a trip. I have to say that I was one of the people complaining about youshare, but now I feel regret and plan to start living here by the rules once more. Thank you for the lovely compromise of the gallery.
:)

Kitri
02-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I can't even begin to tell you how much that closure affected me. I never realized how much of a blessing VMKF is until yesterday.

ElephantEthan
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
VMKF needed the closure and the people in fact who complained and argued deserved it.

Evil Kid Bugs
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Once upon a time there were three bears the Poppa Bear said "My porridge is too hot" the Baby Bear said "MY porridge is too hot" the Momma Bear said "All you jerks do is complain! I Quit!"

ElephantEthan
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Once upon a time there were three bears the Poppa Bear said "My porridge is too hot" the Baby Bear said "MY porridge is too hot" the Momma Bear said "All you jerks do is complain! I Quit!"

LOL I could so imagine that happening

StitchMad
02-23-2009, 05:40 PM
As a daily user of this site since August 2005, it was a MASSIVE shock yesterday to see the message from Batleth telling us the site was closed. I suppose it takes something like that to make you realise how much the site means to you, and that with the push of a button and a nice little message, the site would be in-accessible.

My first thought yesterday was.. "omg! what about my posts!" I'd really love to go through all my posts again and look / save my favorite ones. It would take something like the site closure to do that though.

While there may be things on the site people don't agree with, it is best to give constructive feedback, tell the staff your thoughts and ideas politely, or give suggestions on how to make the site grow further. It is not good to run off ranting about something when you don't know / realise exactly the thought and preperation that went into that change.

Here is my personal thank you to all the staff of the site, whom we really couldn't do without.

DisneyDesi
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Omg! I am so glad it is back up today! I am not over reacting but I teared up yesterday. I thought it closed down like VMK. And so I went to my mom and said "Everythings closing!"

Baconbits
02-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I truthfully though it was done just like vmk. closed to further notice can be a very very long time.

MyBirdHat
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
People deserved it, and i don't go on these forums much anymore because of those people. And by those people i mean the people who constantly bash me, sorry but, you know who you are. I hope this taught people a lesson on what a blessing this forum is.

bluedudeman
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
At first I thought the closing would make a few members leave for good. With the thought process of "oh, they're really mad at us let's go bash another forum" or "it's probably never coming back" or someone just forgetting about it, because I thought the closure would be for around a week.

In my opinion, I think it would have been a lot better if only the people complaining were shut out of the site, but I know that's probably not possible. I was a little angry at how these people ruin it for everyone, including me. If it was closed forever because of that I would be enraged because I don't think I've been too bad and for those people to ruin it. :(

I mean like.. I really enjoy this site, and I want it to stay open for awhile. I just don't want it to close because of some people who are ranting on length of signature and how rules are too strict. Silly fights when we should just be one big family.

If you argue on this site about the rules and stuff or say you're leaving because the sites dying, and this makes the staff close it. YOU are the cause. YOU let everyone else down.

If this makes sense, yeah.

xoop
02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Thank you, TooHip and the rest of the VMKF staff! =) I've been sort of waiting for a mod's opinion on this complaining, etc. =) Thanks so much, also about the gallery!

MissInformed
02-23-2009, 08:38 PM
I am sorry for posting that "All the rules" topic. I just wanted to rant about it a little, because it was how I felt. I had no idea it would go so out of proportion, it would close the site for a day. However, I don't think it's true that if you say the site is dying, you are the cause for it closing. How can one little member close down a whole forum?

But, yeah.

MLKnCookies
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
When I saw the message yesterday the first thought that came to my mind was, "What about my purple scrolly that I worked hard for!"

But I'm glad VMKF is back up. I've been a member since March 2006 and I try to stay active and visit daily.

I'm glad about this new gallery rule because I stopped posting pictures since I had a hard time finding a hosting site.

THANK YOU! :D :D

GoodPolarGirl
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Haha, lol. I could totally picture that in my brain.

I hope you guys enjoyed your break! It was obviously needed, and I hope the complainers learned a lesson.

I'm also glad to hear about the gallery! (btw, loving this new emotes :icon12m::icon11m::icon6m::icon10m::icon8m:) :)

bluedudeman
02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I am sorry for posting that "All the rules" topic. I just wanted to rant about it a little, because it was how I felt. I had no idea it would go so out of proportion, it would close the site for a day. However, I don't think it's true that if you say the site is dying, you are the cause for it closing. How can one little member close down a whole forum?

But, yeah.

I said "if you're arguing about the rules and stuff, or saying the site is dying" so it's a collective thing, if you say that you're adding to the fire, not helping anything causing the staff to think about closing it more. So everyone who was complaining, not just about this forum "dying" was the cause.

SoccerRyan
02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Yesterday Batleth's message reminded me of April 7, 2008 and that we cannot take this site for granted. Thanks for not keeping it closed any longer than you did, I would've gone insane! :Tongue:

And thanks for the Gallery changes. Though I use FileAve, it will help many people who were former users of YouShare.

SemmaSweetie
02-23-2009, 10:38 PM
ahhh. thanks for coming back :]!
i was so sad yesterday that i had no chance to play some
trivia in my spare time. i'm getting more interested in trivia
playing now. haha, im learning a lot about disney and stuff.

i know the closure yesterday was necessary, and i'm hoping
that those who were complaining learned their lesson. o:

GoodPolarGirl
02-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for not keeping it closed any longer than you did, I would've gone insane!

I felt the same way. I almost fainted when I first saw the message.:icon11m:

DizCaptain
02-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Thank you to anyone involved in the instilling of discipline on this site. Hopefully it has changed the thoughts of certain trouble makers.

ElephantEthan
02-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Haha, lol. I could totally picture that in my brain.

I hope you guys enjoyed your break! It was obviously needed, and I hope the complainers learned a lesson.

I'm also glad to hear about the gallery! (btw, loving this new emotes :icon12m::icon11m::icon6m::icon10m::icon8m:) :)

Those emotes have some big ears. Mickey doesn't have big ears because he has a big head. LOL

MLKnCookies
02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Yesterday Batleth's message reminded me of April 7, 2008 and that we cannot take this site for granted.

Exactly! It happened once and we can't let another amazing site fall apart.

fantasyforever
02-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks, mods/admins! I won't call you guys staff. You guys aren't. You guys volunteered to do this. Staff get paid to do things, you guys don't. At any time you could've said. "Oh. these people..I'm not gonna mod/admin anymore!" But you didn't.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

~fantasy

Spottedleaf
02-24-2009, 12:06 AM

I know your a evil rabbit, but that was funny. xD

The closing yesterday, like most of the people on VMKF, made me shocked, but I finally saw that we needed it, I don't think the rules are strict, why does everyone think that? I've seen stricter sites then here and the sister sites.
But it'll be easier to add my signatures to my gallery, now! ^^'

Aggie
02-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Wow! I can't begin how to say how great these new changes are! The "no pending photo request" will be a great change. I plan on using it all the time now ;) Members, please don't upload inappropriate images on the gallery. We wouldn't like the nice staff to revoke it.

These changes may be the boost that causes all our recent "quitters" to return

Thanks Mods/Admins!

BuzzBoy133
02-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks, for doing the closing thing. It really helped us all cool down. Now if they only did that on VMK....

And the image thing was a great idea! It'll really help people out, getting images out faster, and keeping it moded will keep us safe! Great improvments, guys!

Fairy
02-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Ooo. Pretty new smilies....
Anyways! Yea. I agree with most of the posts, VMKF Did
need a closure, and it also reminded me how much I loved
VMKF. VMKF Has been with me for like.. 2 years? Ive always
have gone on this site when I was bored, and its
taught me so much, and by looking at other users wonderful art has always
been inspiring me to draw more.
[ Which sometimes is a bad thing when I'm doodling when I'm supposed to be paying attention in class ;) ]
But yeah, I think it was a good choice to close it for that time.

P.S- Ooo! Gallery update! Yay for the gallery! XD
:balloon:

Pink_Bink
02-25-2009, 05:01 AM
When I tried to get on yesterday, and saw that, I thought it was going to be closed a week or so. I was so close to having a breakdown, rofl. It definetly woke me up.

LLamaLLamadddj
03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
good thing I diddnt log on during this. i would have cried, and cried, and cried.