View Full Version : Other Park's Castles

Surfr
07-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Okay, Disney has got to be crazy. Or maybe they just didn't think of this. Okay, in the US, they have Cinderella's castle in WDW and Sleeping Beauty's castle in Disneyland. In Tokyo, they have Cinderella and in EuroDisney they have Sleeping Beauty again.

Hello? Why not make each park have a different princess castle? Tokyo could have Snow White's castle and then EuroDisney could have Belle's (sorry, but I'm strereotyping because Beauty and the Beast took place in France).

It would be so much cooler!

prisoner
07-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Tokyo could have Snow White's castle

They didn't want any other castle. The Oriental Land Company wanted to be as close to Disneyland as they could manage, with only a few changes (some practical, some cultural).

EuroDisney could have Belle's (sorry, but I'm strereotyping because Beauty and the Beast took place in France).

That is Belle's castle. Not just because it was set in France, but both opened at about the same time (B&TB opened in October 1992 in France, and EuroDisney opened in April 1992).

GreatGatsby
07-05-2005, 02:57 PM
That is Belle's castle. Not just because it was set in France, but both opened at about the same time (B&TB opened in October 1992 in France, and EuroDisney opened in April 1992).

No, it's Sleeping Beauty's Castle. It's called Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant, which literally translated from French is Castle of the beauty that drinks sleep -- or Sleeping Beauty.

Look at the design of the castle and watch the film again. They match, even down to the trees, which in Paris are pruned square.

prisoner
07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
No, it's Sleeping Beauty's Castle. It's called Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant, which literally translated from French is Castle of the beauty that drinks sleep -- or Sleeping Beauty.

I sit corrected.

I had never been there, and my conclusion came from an art/architecture exhibit I saw called "The Architecture of Reassurance" which discussed the architecture of the parks and the "One Man's Dream" exhibit at WDW. I was pretty sure the model for the EuroDisney castle was on display, identifying it as Belle's Castle. Looking at the book that acompanies the exhibit, it is clearly labeled in there as "Sleeping Beauty's Castle", so I am obviously mistaken.

I am curious if anyone has a photo of the model at "One Man's Dream", since I can't find mine, to see how it is labeled there.