View Full Version : Help Needed By a Legal Mind.

Flame Gun
05-15-2008, 12:16 AM
I need someone to search through the terms of use to see if it has something about "Deletion of Purchased Products"

Because Think of This:

Disney DVDs & Movie Rewards Code Purchased > Enter Codes on DMR
> Purchase Stitch Hat, Inferno, Home Theather, or Mickey Window.
> Get it in VMK
> Its now a Purchased VMK Product.

2starTagregory
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe not in Di$ney's terms of use but possibly a law states somewhere!

StitchRokcs
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
dont forget about those pirate q boxes sold for 14 bucks

BlazinBeats
05-15-2008, 12:19 AM
From what I have read, no. Disney just, well, scammed us?
You must not forget the VMK Pins/Quest Cards bought at the parks! Many people spent well over $200 on quest cards alone..

slinkyman
05-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Maybe not in Di$ney's terms of use but possibly a law states somewhere!
It's spelled Disney.

And the customizable VMK T-Shirts.

snowegoof
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Nah, most people spell it Di$ney nowadays because of their greediness.

2starTagregory
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Uh Ink sorry to say but I agree with EvilKidBugs on this one, I even said in school - in front of a teacher - that Di$ney workers are money loving freaks and everyone agreed with me.

StitchRokcs
05-15-2008, 12:22 AM
It's spelled Disney. Yes but most people spell it with a $ now symbolizing money bc thats what the company is based on

And the customizable VMK T-Shirts. Oh yea forgot about those also!

my text in bold

the_phoenix
05-15-2008, 12:24 AM

Mine were $30.00 - I got them in WDW.

I wonder what Di$ney is going to do next..

slinkyman
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Uh Ink sorry to say but I agree with EvilKidBugs on this one, I even said in school - in front of a teacher - that Di$ney workers are money loving freaks and everyone agreed with me.

"ekb" obviously likes calling people names. Just like all those poor "weirdos" at the VMK Protest.

I find spelling Disney "Di$ney" is a large insult to the company. (Which makes me upset to see people do it) Disney is a huge company, not just VMK.

snowegoof
05-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Well, don't you think that Disney is a bit of a moneybags?

Cools
05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
I have to agree with Inkers on this. Disney probably means more to you then you think, maybe when you were a child they helped you learn things, etc.

Be nice! EKB is very rude most of the time, he really annoys me and I don't like him on this forum.

It is true about the money though.

~€00L$

Nickpf
05-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Yea yea yea... I have to agree with ink. But yes they are scamming us, legally.

KrazyLuke
05-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Disney is a huge company, not just VMK.

Disney is infact a huge company, and like all the other major companies and corporations in the world- they are there for your money. Disney can hide behind the 'magic' and 'dreams', but that's now ALL they are about- they are enjoying their income greatly. I am not putting down the company, but "Di$ney" is actually partly true title to give- like any company ($).

BlazinBeats
05-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Disney is scamming us, if they want to close VMK, they need to give our money back..

slinkyman
05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
Disney is infact a huge company, and like all the other major companies and corporations in the world- they are there for your money. Disney can hide behind the 'magic' and 'dreams', but that's now ALL they are about- they are enjoying their income greatly. I am not putting down the company, but "Di$ney" is actually partly true title to give- like any company ($).
Of course like any company they want money, but Disney is NOT ALL about the money.

What if you owned a company and called it for an example: "Save Snakes" and you asked for donations (or you sold Save Snakes products). Then a group came around and said for an example: "Don't $ave $nakes!" wouldn't you feel insulted?

I understand players are mad about VMK closing, but that doesn't mean you have to bash the great company that has brought magic for over 50 years.

awsomered
05-15-2008, 01:26 AM
inks right.

it's not just Disney about money a lot of companies are about money.

KrazyLuke
05-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Of course like any company they want money, but Disney is NOT ALL about the money.

What if you owned a company and called it for an example: "Save Snakes" and you asked for donations (or you sold Save Snakes products). Then a group came around and said for an example: "Don't $ave $nakes!" wouldn't you feel insulted?

I understand players are mad about VMK closing, but that doesn't mean you have to bash the great company that has brought magic for over 50 years.

Obviously not everything within companies are there just for the money.

I would not be insulted at all if a group would add dollar signs to replace S's within a company or charity if I ran such a thing. It is basically speaking the obvious- we would be getting money for a cause; What's it going to do if we add a few dollar signs? Nothing.

Also in this case I doubt Disney is insulted or put done by such a comment. If they are then they can contact me. Disney has proven to have a great backbone so far by either threatening to sue or being ignorant towards it's Guests throughout the 50+ years (this obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if someone gets in the way of the company- these are their 2 options). So should Disney feel insulted or should we? Hmm...

Now to end this post I would like to add that I am not mad at all about VMK closing, which should be obvious as I have not supported any "Save VMK" sites fully to this day. I agree with the decision Disney made and decided not to waste my time going against Disney, because all-in-all it's just fighting a lost cause with them.

autoalice
05-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Spelling "Disney" as "Di$ney" is disrespectful to Walt Disney himself who's NAME is being used. While I do not agree with many decisions being made by some of the people in charge I would never disrespect Walt Disney himself which I feel "Di$ney" does.

iLoveTheRain
05-15-2008, 02:16 AM
http://www.ilovetherain.com/Emote/offtopic.gif
People will spell it based on their opinion of the company. For me, there are two seperate entities. Disney, the man with the dream, and those like him who felt a higher calling than just immediate and easy profit. Di$ney, the company, who sells those ideals, but will disregard them whenever it suits them.
In my eyes, there is very little Disney left in Di$ney.

Back on topic:
It's possible that filing a complaint over the loss of movie reward points might actually be humored and get them returned. As for a legal stance, when dealing with virtual items, it is the general standard that money paid for use of items on your account is for simply that: "Use while on their site, on `your` account", which is actually still theirs. If you get yourself banned, give access of your account to someone else who takes it over, or the site closes....there is not much legal ground for you to stand on, as all items in-game are the property of the game creator, and you simply paid for the use of them while on the site. I'm not saying that there is no possiblity that Di$ney will refund anything (although I see it highly unlikely that they'll be mailing any checks), just that any threat to sue over losses would be pretty empty.

KrazyLuke
05-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Spelling "Disney" as "Di$ney" is disrespectful to Walt Disney himself who's NAME is being used. While I do not agree with many decisions being made by some of the people in charge I would never disrespect Walt Disney himself which I feel "Di$ney" does.

It is not disrespectful to Walt Disney as we are not refering to him. The Disney company is what is being referred.

Zimonada
05-15-2008, 02:20 AM
That's like saying that we should replace any "s" in a company's name with "$", just because they make money.

iLoveTheRain
05-15-2008, 02:36 AM
That's like saying that we should replace any "s" in a company's name with "$", just because they make money.

I think you have it backwards. ;) No one said that "s"'s must be replaced with "$"'s. It was said that we should replace the "$"'s with "s"'s.
People were doing something that they thought was clever in order to show their opinion of the company. Other people told them to stop. No one told anyone to start. http://www.ilovetherain.com/Emote/jay.gif

the_phoenix
05-15-2008, 02:39 AM
...great company that has brought magic for over 50 years.

I'm sorry to say this, but Disney's magic has began to..well...fade.

BlazinBeats
05-15-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but Disney's magic has began to..well...fade.

Well, it may be fading for you. But to many people, the magic is still alive; I'm anticipating Disney to be around for a very, very, very long time.

But this thread is getting really off topic, just throwing that out there...

Jacques
05-15-2008, 05:19 AM
I need someone to search through the terms of use to see if it has something about "Deletion of Purchased Products"

Because Think of This:

> Get it in VMK

And for your purchases, you got DVDs. They were for sale, not the codes. So what you purchased is still in your possession.

And for your purchases, you got pins. They were for sale, not the codes. So what you purchased is still in your possession.

You must not forget the VMK Pins/Quest Cards bought at the parks! Many people spent well over $200 on quest cards alone..

Funny, I don't recall quest cards being on sale. I do recall real ear hats, magic tricks, candy, t-shirts, pins, and hotel stays being for sale. And whomever purchased those items received them. They paid for actual real items.

The virtual codes were a marketing gimmick used to sell real products. Nothing more. Did people buy movies just to get codes? Sure. And in the process, Disney sold a lot more DVDs than they probably would have otherwise.

This sort of complaint has no legal merit. You got what you paid for. The virtual items were only a bonus. Read the description on each and every card:

Subject to restrictions and change without notice. Virtual prizes may not be sold or transferred and have no cash value (emphasis added).

frozenfire
05-15-2008, 06:14 AM
every company needs to make money for it to be a company,
so think about the other stuff disney does that makes it a company
its helps people live life, explore life, learn in life, change a life, make a life and more
yes, disney makes money and makes decisions about making money, BUT it does not make every single decision around the idea of money and the company promotes a good and happy message and is not a money absorbed company

woot disney! :)

targ
05-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Walt Disney isnt around anymore.If he was none of this garbage would be going on.

PS I'm sueing Di$ney for the $3500 i waisted on VMK items. Also Jaques you forgot that we do not own the full item then this will hold up in a Court of Law so you guys keep it up.btw I already researched if this would work.

Jacques
05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
PS I'm sueing Di$ney for the $3500 i waisted on VMK items. Also Jaques you forgot that we do not own the full item then this will hold up in a Court of Law so you guys keep it up.btw I already researched if this would work.

What full item are you referring to? VMK never sold virtual items. Period. They were a free add-on to actual products or services purchased.

Acepowerboy
05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
http://www.ilovetherain.com/Emote/offtopic.gif
People will spell it based on their opinion of the company. For me, there are two separate entities. Disney, the man with the dream, and those like him who felt a higher calling than just immediate and easy profit. Di$ney, the company, who sells those ideals, but will disregard them whenever it suits them.
In my eyes, there is very little Disney left in Di$ney.

Back on topic:
It's possible that filing a complaint over the loss of movie reward points might actually be humored and get them returned. As for a legal stance, when dealing with virtual items, it is the general standard that money paid for use of items on your account is for simply that: "Use while on their site, on `your` account", which is actually still theirs. If you get yourself banned, give access of your account to someone else who takes it over, or the site closes....there is not much legal ground for you to stand on, as all items in-game are the property of the game creator, and you simply paid for the use of them while on the site. I'm not saying that there is no possiblity that Di$ney will refund anything (although I see it highly unlikely that they'll be mailing any checks), just that any threat to sue over losses would be pretty empty.
Very good points here, but we have to remember that we didn't pay to play VMK or get items for VMK. We paid for the movies, pin set and all other items that has to do with VMK logo and by doing this purchases we got a bonus card or code for the game. So by Disney doing this, in a law sue you would have no ground to win. You got what you paid for, the real items. When it come to Disney making money, I'm glad so my stocks can keep going up. To also answer about the charity that they do, remember, at the end of the year is a write off that's what all corporation do. In conclusion, is up to us to play for free or pay for a game, learn from this and the next time you see a free game, ask your self if you want to paly.

targ
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
What full item are you referring to? VMK never sold virtual items. Period. They were a free add-on to actual products or services purchased.

Yea they did didnt you know you could jsut pay for the cards.

Jacques
05-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Yea they did didnt you know you could jsut pay for the cards.

Which cards? Not once were the cards ever sold by themselves.

targ
05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
If you asked you could buy the cards alone.Instead of recieving the hat or doing the quests you just paid for it they had prices for them all as well.Not to mention the Stitch hat.Also think about ppl who paid to go to Di$ney just for quests and didnt do the rides.

Jacques
05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
If you asked you could buy the cards alone.Instead of recieving the hat or doing the quests you just paid for it they had prices for them all as well.Not to mention the Stitch hat.Also think about ppl who paid to go to Di$ney just for quests and didnt do the rides.

The cards were never for sale. If you refused the item you purchased to obtain a free card, that is your choice (one that I honestly don't believe occured). If a cast member was found to be selling cards, it was done so illegally, and that cast member should be disciplined.

The Stitch Hat was obtained by staying at the Disneyland Hotel. You paid for your hotel stay, and the cards were a FREE bonus.

And people who went to Disney to do the quests and not ride the rides got what they paid for. Admission. The ticket price is not for the rides. It is for admission. What you choose to do once inside the Park is your own business.

LadyBella
05-15-2008, 04:42 PM
actually, legally, publicly owned corporations are required by law to make decisions based on the profit they will make as long as what they do is legal in itself. they are beholden to their shareholders to act in their shareholders best interest. public companies who choose to behave in ways more responsible to the general public and the environment for example, have to show how those decisions will benefit the company in the long run, such as by promoting a positive community image of the company. clearly the image of disney in the mind of many vmk players has been damaged bc of this recent decision to end vmk. but, although i am not a lawyer, i dont believe that they have acted illegally in any way. just maybe unethically and unforgivably.

though i am mad about the decision, too, it seems a silly idea to me to sue a company when they have not done anything illegal. that makes about as much sense as when ppl try to sue restaurants bc they burned their mouth on a cup of coffee. sure ppl have successfully sued in this way, but to what purpose?

disney never promised vmk would last forever. i would certainly tell ppl u are upset about the decision. let this experience shape your opinion of the company - this is how they work. and let it be a life lesson. i think the only thing that would make vmk stay open would be the public outcry - and that has been done.

there has been and there will be lots of other online communities. we are all upset that we will lose contact with friends we know only in vmk. and that the hard work we put into building the community of vmk will be gone in a matter of days. but i had fun this past two and a half years. i am glad i found vmk, and the ppl in it. several ppl i met in vmk have become friends that i now know outside of vmk. and i will miss those i know only in vmk. i will miss the games and the rooms and the virtual stuff. but i try to think of it as a movie i got to visit. or a great dream i kept having for a couple years. all i get to keep are memories but they are great memories.

Shayjack
05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Easy way to completely counter this: The virtual items are bonuses, not purchased items. You bought a stay at the hotel to get a code for the stitch hat, not the hat itself. The codes on the pins were just a bonus.

The only place you would find a price for the cards alone would be eBay.

thesimpson90
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM

Because Think of This:

> Get it in VMK

First i would like to speak to those insulting Disney. Disney is a company based on one mans dream which slowly expanded into a larger company. Going from a company that almost went backrupt to finish the first full length animated movie, to being able to run theme parks, internet games, and still produce not only animated movies but also other movies. Its an amazing company that has helped many people throughout their life. If you want to insult them then fine, but just remember, insulting the company insults what the company stands for which is most peoples childhood. Also if your mad about vmk, join another RPG, maybe even a Disney one.

Now that i got that out of the way.. No there is not a law preventing them from closing because remember, you didnt buy the rewards you bought the DVDs with a free code inside. You didnt buy the VMK item codes in the card boxes or pin boxes, you bought the actual cards, or pins. Everything they did is legal, and at least they gave everyone a month to get out of the habit instead of just having you get on your computer one day and seeing "VMK CLOSED" on the VMK front page.

Anyways for all of you calling Disney "Di$ney" please think before you speak/type because, yes they try to make money, but thats the point of every company. You just need to live with it. At least Disney has standards unlike many companys out there.

targ
05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
What standards does Di$$$$ney have.BTW i thought about it and your right Di$ney is insulting we need to add more dollar signs bc they love money way to much for only 1.

Flame Gun
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
First i would like to speak to those insulting Disney. Disney is a company based on one mans dream which slowly expanded into a larger company. Going from a company that almost went backrupt to finish the first full length animated movie, to being able to run theme parks, internet games, and still produce not only animated movies but also other movies. Its an amazing company that has helped many people throughout their life. If you want to insult them then fine, but just remember, insulting the company insults what the company stands for which is most peoples childhood. Also if your mad about vmk, join another RPG, maybe even a Disney one.

Yes, The Company was based off of One Man's Dream, but trying to push people on to games or anything that makes themselves money, is not 'One Man's' Intention when he started the company.

Now that i got that out of the way.. No there is not a law preventing them from closing because remember, you didnt buy the rewards you bought the DVDs with a free code inside. You didnt buy the VMK item codes in the card boxes or pin boxes, you bought the actual cards, or pins. Everything they did is legal, and at least they gave everyone a month to get out of the habit instead of just having you get on your computer one day and seeing "VMK CLOSED" on the VMK front page.

Is it your choice that the legal term isn't/is extended that the Codes were included in the price of the purchase when purchased?. If the Codes were free they wouldn't be in a DVD box, which you must purchase now would they?

Anyways for all of you calling Disney "Di$ney" please think before you speak/type because, yes they try to make money, but thats the point of every company. You just need to live with it. At least Disney has standards unlike many companys out there.

It is those who speaks choice to call Dis/$/ney whatever they want.

My Message is in the quotes.

Poohdent
05-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree with bella ( no surprise she is great and very smart )
Im not an lawyer either, however they have a panel of lawyers to clean up their messes Im sure. Chaulk it up to money spent and lesson learned.
I do however worry about the future of disney online after listening to videos out there of their presi online and exec vp online
They have forgotten when we log onto anything Disney we are guests!!!
Not puppets not a number in their control, but ppl.
With voices and wallets ;-)
And I'm so glad I found vmk but they forget one can influence many.
Also I believe the Hearts of this game in particular are More devoted fans than any other Disney game will be ever.
Keep writing Disney dont give up ever!!! Let them know we care!!

PS :Wall street journal today FRONT PAGE !! wow we are making big news dont give up!!!

soccerkid
05-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Im not an lawyer either, however they have a panel of lawyers to clean up their messes Im sure. Chaulk it up to money spent and lesson learned.
I do however worry about the future of disney online after listening to videos out there of their presi online and exec vp online
They have forgotten when we log onto anything Disney we are guests!!!
Not puppets not a number in their control, but ppl.
With voices and wallets ;-)
And I'm so glad I found vmk but they forget one can influence many.
Also I believe the Hearts of this game in particular are More devoted fans than any other Disney game will be ever.
Keep writing Disney dont give up ever!!! Let them know we care!!

PS :Wall street journal today FRONT PAGE !! wow we are making big news dont give up!!!

Where? Im looking at one right now and it doesnt say anything about vmk or Disney

LadyBella
05-21-2008, 01:14 AM
aww! you had me at i agree with bella, lol

orcafan8
05-21-2008, 02:08 AM
honestly i think the disney corporation does a lot of unethical things just based on certain companies which they own actually own.

but back on point:
i think that the most you could do is see about getting your DMR items refunded to you, but everything else was technically a bonus for doing something else, i.e. staying in a hotel, enjoying "a fun quest," etc. You might see results by complaining, i mean my family got a free return trip to disneyland after complaining that the monorail and other attractions were down while we were there.
Anyone who does actually plan on sueing should be aware that if you do that then Disney could lash out, for instance i know that Best Buy if you threaten legal action you are not allowed to step foot on their property anywhere.

this is an interesting topic though and could be addressed even more if in the near future disney or another site attempt to shut down a pay to play site.

thundurga
05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I despise the word scam. When VMK first opened it was used for the Happiest Celebrtion on Earth. We were all told that. We new this was happening yet we bought our shirts, items, etc. I have my share in those but we all new it would come to an end sometime!!! It's a video game!!! We are not going to die. We may get lucky and get it back, but there will definately be some major complaining. I'm going to miss VMK as much as the next player, but this isnt real life. It's not what life does with us, it's what we do with life!

StarBP
05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Where? Im looking at one right now and it doesnt say anything about vmk or Disney

Front page of section B, not the main section.

toontoony
05-21-2008, 06:37 PM
The cards were never for sale. If you refused the item you purchased to obtain a free card, that is your choice (one that I honestly don't believe occured). If a cast member was found to be selling cards, it was done so illegally, and that cast member should be disciplined.

The Stitch Hat was obtained by staying at the Disneyland Hotel. You paid for your hotel stay, and the cards were a FREE bonus.

And people who went to Disney to do the quests and not ride the rides got what they paid for. Admission. The ticket price is not for the rides. It is for admission. What you choose to do once inside the Park is your own business.

Yes they were...
Infact for two items it was 14$ They owe me 70$, but 3500? Woauh you really need it back

KrazyDopey
05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes they were...
Infact for two items it was 14$ They owe me 70$, but 3500? Woauh you really need it back

Yes, but those were pin items. People were to buy them for the pins, and the codes were an added bonus.