View Full Version : Initial Analysis of Jungle Cruise Game

MMSunshine
07-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Since this is at the top and may be the first thing people see, and also to avoid any confusion, I'm making edits on occasion based on the feedback people are giving in their replies.

So since I've got Pirate's down (pretty much), and am awful at Fireworks, I decided to give myself a Fireworks break and focus on Jungle Cruise for a bit.

Credits/Prizes
The first time you play the Cruise you get a poster and credits (anyone know how many). Each time you play after that you receive 20 credits. Anyone know if you get extra credits for high scores? At this point there are no pins or magic being given out on this game.

Areas in Game & Film/Gas
You go through the following 6 areas (and keep repeating until you run out of gas). I note any film and gas that appears in the water:

Area 1: Dock - 1 gas and 1 film (you also get an automatic 5 photos added to your film and a 40 unit gas refill when you go through the Dock the second time)
Area 2: Elephant Bathing Pool - 1 gas and 1 film
Area 3: Tiki Tiki Island - 1 gas and 1 film
Area 4: Forbidden Temple - 2 gas and 1 film
Area 5: Explorers Tent - 1 gas and 1 film
Area 6: Lost Safari Party - 1 film

The film/gas doesn't appear at the same time when you go through each area (for example, on the elephant bathing pool sometimes the film is there while you're doing photos and sometimes it doesn't show up for a while). Because of this I've begun only waiting a couple seconds to see if film/gas shows up, and then continuing on if it doesn't in order to save gas. They do always appear in the same place in each area however. Film usually shows up in the center of the room, while gas usually shows up towards the right hand side of the screen. I have occasionally run into problems where the gas/film shows up but I can't move backwards, but that may just be a problem with my computer.

To make sure you get gas and film, be sure to make use of your down button, which slows the boat down and moves you back to pick up things that appear behind you in the water (and also gives you a chance to make sure you get photos of all the animals you need at times). Also, running into anything in the water causes you to lose 10 gas units, and running into the side/riverbank causes you to lose 5 gas units (and probably leaves a gas slick, which is bad for the animals).

Taking Photos
It appears, unlike Fireworks where you click at the last second for the most points, on this one you get higher number of points for clicking/taking the photo before any smoke appears, but not as soon as the animal appears. The four things I've gotten that it says for photos are: oops, good, excellent, and awesome with awesome giving the highest score. The closer you are to having the picture centered in the frame, the better your score is as well.

Also, there do appear to be occasional puffs of smoke, but no animal or one that appears/disappears quickly and doesn't give many points, so watch for these so you don't waste film.

Points range from in the 50's to over 900 depending on the animal and how well you take the picture. Because of the limit of film you get, you should not try to take pictures of all animals, only the ones with the higher point values. I've been trying to limit myself to animals from 400 and above, and my scores have gone up dramatically.

Animals & Point Values
Following are the animals that appear (please excuse my animal descriptions). I've grouped them into three categories. The point ranges are for if you take a good to excellent picture, so keep in mind, they do vary a bit, from lower on oops/good to higher for awesome:

Always Avoid (Points under 300 range)
Alligator (in water only): Under 100
Crane/Stork: 200 range
Flamingo (in water only): 200 range
Gorilla: 200 range
Hyena: 200-300 range
Lion: Under 100
Zebra: 100 range

Varies (Points from 300 - 500 range)
Alligator (on land only): From 300-400
Elephant: 300-500 range
Flamingo (on land only): 300-400 range
Giraffe: 300 range
Hippo: 300-400 range
Monkey: 300-500 range
Snake: 200-500 range. The coiled up ones are only worth in the 200 range. The rest are generally in the 400's.

Fabulous Photos (Points from 400 to over 900 range)
Parrot: 400-500 range
Rhino: Over 600, both appear in Lost Safari area (another reason saving at least two pictures if you're running low on film is good)
Toucan: Highest point value. Ranges anywhere from 400 to over 900.

I'm still working on figuring out exactly which photos in which areas are best for the animals that fall in the various category above, and will try to post an update. I'm also working on figuring out exactly how many photos you pick up with each film to get a better sense of what animals to skip beyond just the low point ones.

I hold out hope that they're still getting this game setup, and that all of my hard work to get to the high scores list will pay off eventually when they start awarding an Indian Jones pin which allows me to shoot poison darts at anyone that asks to be my boyfriend in the game (sorry, I digress). :Tongue:

MrGenie
07-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow, fabulous post! Kudos to you on this most appropriate use of the word "Analysis". I can't wait to try out your tips. A few things I'm pretty sure about but I thought you might be able to elaborate since you seem to have this down...

1) Should you try to shoot the animals right before they disappear to maximize your points (similar to fireworks)?

2) How does framing the animals affect your points?

3) Are there any triggers on the gas/film pick-ups? Do you think it's time-driven, location-driven, or random? Do they always appear in the same order and general area on screen or does it vary?

4) I believe you pick up some extra film and/or gas when you look back through the first screen for the second time; can you include this in your analysis?

Thanks again!

sonofshine
07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
i see that you don't have a point range on the Toucan ^-^ You just say very high (which they are lol) I have scored 650-950 for toucans..

Hope the helps!
:beret:

SpinMarty
07-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Great analysis!
Also, MrG, framing does effect the points (just like it fireworks). You can get an "awesome" with different points depending on how it is framed.

Wynsome
07-03-2005, 06:56 PM
(you also get an automatic film and gas refill when you go through the Dock each time)This is false. Unless they've changed the game, extremely recently, you only get extra gas and film the first time you make it back to the dock. You are reward with five images and fourty gallons of gas.

3) Are there any triggers on the gas/film pick-ups? Do you think it's time-driven, location-driven, or random? Do they always appear in the same order and general area on screen or does it vary?I believe the timing and items are random, but they will always appear in the same spot.

RoyalHighness
07-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Those brief puffs of smoke actually do contain animals. I managed to capture a monkey a few times and the points were in the 200-300 range. It was hardly worth the capture apart from yay I did it. :princess:

dizneydesi
07-03-2005, 07:44 PM
yeaterday I caught a toucan in the dock at the beginning and got high points. some where colse to 800. i remember that it shocked me because a) i caught it and 2) the points ended being so high. LeanaSpin was saying last night that lately she is staying away from monkeys in the left side of the screen. maybe research that too. :happy:

Awesome analysis! thanks for taking the time to do it!

shiregirl
07-04-2005, 04:12 AM
WOW!!!!!! Thank you so much for this analysis. Due to this (and some advice I got from Dizneydesi yesterday) I just improved my score from 26,744 to 40,495!! Wheee! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Thank you , thank you, thank you!!

Alexander
07-04-2005, 04:24 AM
1) Should you try to shoot the animals right before they disappear to maximize your points (similar to fireworks)?

2) How does framing the animals affect your points?

3) Are there any triggers on the gas/film pick-ups? Do you think it's time-driven, location-driven, or random? Do they always appear in the same order and general area on screen or does it vary?

4) I believe you pick up some extra film and/or gas when you look back through the first screen for the second time; can you include this in your analysis?

Thanks again!1. Unlike Fireworks, you're points are not gaged by when you shoot. It's how you shoot them.

2. Centering gets you more points. The more center the animal is, the higher the points.

3. Gas and film are random. However, their locations are always the same. So you will always see the film and the gas you need in the exact same spot. The only thing that varies is when they pop up.

4. Yes, you do. You get 5 - 10 extra shots and 100 gas units added fir second go around. After that, you're on your own.

Also, you may want to note this.

If you crash into the river bank, you get 5 gas units knocked out.
Crashing into a crate or animal takes away 10 from your gas.

Wynsome
07-04-2005, 04:32 AM
4. Yes, you do. You get 5 - 10 extra shots and 100 gas units added fir second go around. After that, you're on your own.Are you sure about that gas? I'm positive I only receive 40 extra "gas units".

LeanaSpin
07-04-2005, 04:53 AM
I'd be happy to confirm/clear up some of these observations..

1. On the second run past the dock, you get 5 extra film, and 40 extra gas units. This only happens on the second pass and not again.

2. Animals give the most credit when you catch them right before they dissapear, not right when they show up. You must however catch them before the puff of smoke. I've gotten toucans up to 990 by waiting til the very last second. For instance, in the tiki area. If you shoot the animal pics immediately, you get 450ish, but if you wait, you can get 510-555.

dizneydesi
07-04-2005, 05:17 AM
I'd be happy to confirm/clear up some of these observations..

2. Animals give the most credit when you catch them right before they dissapear, not right when they show up. You must however catch them before the puff of smoke. I've gotten toucans up to 990 by waiting til the very last second. For instance, in the tiki area. If you shoot the animal pics immediately, you get 450ish, but if you wait, you can get 510-555.
i am so practicing the fine art of timing.