View Full Version : Disney could learn a few things from WEBKINZ!

Caterpillar AEIOU
04-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Webkinz is having a huge blow out to celebrate it's 3rd Birthday. It is this weekend
Hmmmmm.... almost exactly the same age as VMK!

Why is Webkinz still going strong and gaining speed?
Because they care about thier costomers. They know how to make a profit of off it.

Let's see the profit potential that Disney is losing out on.

1. Plush Toy $15.00 each.

2. Small Plush $10.00 each.

3. Charms, braclets, necklaces $4.00 each

4. Trading cards ( BIG MONEY MAKER) $3.00 per pack of 6 cards.

5. Lip gloss, & Body Spray $6.00 each.

6. Plastic figures $6.00 each

There are many more products that GANZ is selling now. School Supplies, Mouse Pads, Webkinz carrying cases etc. People ( Kids & Adults) can't spend money fast enough on it.

:ThumbsDown:Disney is losing it's touch. They used to be the leaders in what was new and sought after. They are quickly becoming a joke.
VMK had such potential for a HUGE Profit, What a waste. What a shame. As a stock holder, I am outraged.

The Board of Directors for Disney Share Holders should demand an investation over the wasted potential on this one!:Lightbulb:

EtnaGreen
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
They could do so much like release more pins, sell yavn dolls(seriously who wouldn't want a yavn doll ;)), anything with vmk's name on it I am pretty sure everyone on here would buy it.

Nickpf
04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
That would be a wonderful idea!

Kitri
04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
They could do so much like release more pins, sell yavn dolls(seriously who wouldn't want a yavn doll ;)), anything with vmk's name on it I am pretty sure everyone on here would buy it.

I made myself a vmk t-shirt. :)

VMK has endless opportunities, Di$ney just ceases to see them.

GoodPolarGirl
04-22-2008, 01:29 AM
You make a very good point

KEBSD
04-22-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure about you, but I would buy the VMK pins if they made the ones we can wear on VMK in real life (they have done this for a few). I would also consider buying VMK hats, shirts, pants, and shoes in real life as well (Think of how insanely those Red Stitch Spaceship hats would sell! Eh, well, maybe not. But it would be cool if they included "sunglasses" like on VMK!). I would maybe even consider having a poster of the VMK map or some VMK rooms on my wall. Oh, and Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion plushes would sell like crazy!
Goodness, there are so many things Disney could make to get a huge profit off of VMK. Thanks for bringing this up!

~Key

mktourist
04-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Very good points. But then again they only needed to visit certain internet auction sites to get an inkling of the value, collectability and marketability of their own product.

I think it would be very easy to get avid players to spend $5 for a pack of 5 VMK cards provided that there was a chance at winning something rare in the pack. It would be a relatively inexpensive park pacifier for the kids as well. Since they seriously underestimated the demand for the pirate pin sets, I'm guessing that they would have had trouble keeping them on the shelves.

LordIllidan
04-22-2008, 02:12 AM
XD

I would shell out so much money to own a Dragon plushie.

Tokrok
04-22-2008, 02:18 AM
My respect for disney has gone down the drain

tiedyenaj
04-22-2008, 03:08 AM
i would buy t-shirts toys and pins and i wanted to go to WDW and some vmk cards you can still get a bird hat but i am going to WDW in july and vmk is closing in may X-(

SillyBrightPuppy
04-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Good Point :)
- Silly

mrmyth
04-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Very good points. But then again they only needed to visit certain internet auction sites to get an inkling of the value, collectability and marketability of their own product.

I think it would be very easy to get avid players to spend $5 for a pack of 5 VMK cards provided that there was a chance at winning something rare in the pack. It would be a relatively inexpensive park pacifier for the kids as well. Since they seriously underestimated the demand for the pirate pin sets, I'm guessing that they would have had trouble keeping them on the shelves.

STOCK HOLDERS!

Call the Board of Directors!
All the calculations I've seen do not take in account the influx of new members if they were to advertise this site as they have others on say..
Radio Disney/Disney Channel/DVD releases/Disney magazines/In park promotions..
Seems to me, anybody with any marketing sense would see the potential.
This site is nothing but a giant ad for Disney and it's products.

Lok how many did the quests,(showed up at the parks)/bought movies for the rewards/bought pin sets/booked travel/and joined already.
Way to cut off your foot while trying to promote new sites associated with Disney.
How much could of been made just by selling VK trading cards with codes at Disney.. or better yet at Wal-Mart with all the Hanna Montana ties.
So many missed possibilities..

No but imagine getting 2 cards and a kid's price admmission coupon in a happy meal. Use up all those quest cards and can include new cards from the trading card game. Also info included on how to redeem your codes on a free virtual game printed on the box/bag=new users.

You could even take it one step further.
Tie in the cards to the launch of the online card game, then after the McD's promo they could sell the cards so kids could play it online or at home with friends like they do with pokemon/yugi oh/whatever cards.
The cards could have codes to build your decks online with limited release cards and claim a virtual prize to boot. Complete circle and makes money/new members.
Another missed marketing ploy by Disney.

Ok I posted this elsewhere but makes sense here as well.
All the Board of Directors are listed in the contacts section.
Send them a letter C/O Disney!

MagicGypsy
04-22-2008, 06:04 AM
XD

I would shell out so much money to own a Dragon plushie.

There IS a plush of the Malificient Dragon just like in the dungeon in vmk...I can send you the little one i see right now on my TV...let me know where to send it and you add the fire.....I can only lend my virtual self....<3 Fire!

LordIllidan
04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
There IS a plush of the Malificient Dragon just like in the dungeon in vmk...I can send you the little one i see right now on my TV...let me know where to send it and you add the fire.....I can only lend my virtual self....<3 Fire!

Heehee. That's pretty awesome.

It's okay. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere on eBay someday...

Right after I find that winged backpack from Kanon >_>

Smoop
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
I completely agree with you. If marketed correctly, VMK could have been...

1) Have a virtual pin for EVERY Disney DVD that came out. Not only would you be able to get Disney Movie Rewards, but also a virtual item. I can just imagine all the collectors out there rushing out to buy all the DVDs to complete their sets.

2) Had exclusive VMK cards given out on in park tours. Now for those who don't know, Disney had special tours in the park. Some of the tours include special areas in the park, behind the scenes things, pointing out stuff that is right in front of our faces that we had no clue about, or even seasonal promotions. I believe the tours cost around $45 ($35 with an annual pass). Imagine if they threw in a rare hat or magic pin along with the tour gift!

3) On days there were special events at the park, they could have told everybody to go down to the VMK Kiosk for a special 1 day only card! (Holidays, theme park anniversaries, events like The Candlelight Procession and Half Marathon).

4) Special VMK cards handed out to events like Disney On Ice and High School The Musical Tour.

5) More VMK cards given out for selected merchandise around the parks (like big name purchases at Off The Page and Disneyana).

6) Movie tickets stubs sent in (just like Disney Movie Rewards).

7) Disney Dining - Spent over $30 dollars at selected restaurants

Do you see where I'm going with this? Everywhere you look, you would see VMK. But not only is it VMK, but it's whatever promotional items it's selling. VMK could have been the perfect marketing platform for all things Disney and other companies as well (imagine having Sketchers or Nike with your virtual wardrobe). And truth be told, VMK didn't even have to stick with Disney themes. Think about, a virtual theme park. A VIRTUAL THEME PARK! Out of all the online games out there, this has not been done yet. Disney did it and blew this opportunity! Avatars could have held balloons, magic could have been based on snacks/foods, dark rides could have given out a rare pin every month (instead of every other month), VMK could have been more interactive among it's players (story, poetry, and art contests), new games that gave out credits should have been created, Disney could have listened more to what kinds of clothes/furniture that players wanted... the lists goes on! You're right Caterpillar AEIOU, other games like Webkinzs that don't have the money or support like Disney are doing very well for their online games. Companies that most people probably never heard of are having success with their online games. Now how come Disney can't do the same? The answer is easy, Disney simply does not care about it's dedicated fans or about the people who spent so much time and money into VMK. They tell us that VMK ended it's run, well what happens when these new online worlds end their run? Will Disney close them down to? Probably. And on that note, I refuse to sign up for ANY new Disney online games. It's not worth spending all your time into a game just to have it taken away in a few years because the Disney Execs feel it's time to move on. It's a huge slap in the face and quite frankly the thought of it makes me sick. SHAME ON YOU DISNEY!

Penguinz
04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Shall we buy a Shrunken Ned to hang over our bed? ;)

iPerfume
04-22-2008, 04:56 PM
They should make like character dolls, like stuffed, sell them, and let us unlock vmk again, :)

~iPerfume

greenhpper
04-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Webkinz is having a huge blow out to celebrate it's 3rd Birthday. It is this weekend
Hmmmmm.... almost exactly the same age as VMK!

Why is Webkinz still going strong and gaining speed?
Because they care about thier costomers. They know how to make a profit of off it.

The Board of Directors for Disney Share Holders should demand an investation over the wasted potential on this one!:Lightbulb:

Not just Webkinz, they could have also looked at NeoPets, Maplestory (Nexon), World of Warcraft (Blizzard), Second Life, or any number of other SUCCESSFUL models. But they chose NOT to. I use to send in something every month in the "feedback" category about looking to these other sites as a "model" as to how they could further shape the game. There are SO many potential areas for marketing, crossmarketing, criss-cross marketing, back marketing (you get the idea ;)) that they just totally missed the boat on this one.

The truly sad thing is that ALL of us who have absolutely no specialization in marketing can SEE it and they can not. So, so sad.

Gorams
04-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Oh. Brainstorm! We could be able to cutomise little plush characters to look like our own characters in VMK, and then they could put our name on the back of it like they do with mickey ears in the parks. They could sell about $15.00 each, and Di$ney could make a huge profit out of them.

Just an idea!

HaveAMagicalDay
04-22-2008, 08:49 PM
This is a great money making opportunity for Disney. If it means keeping VMK open, I'd send it in to them through Disney and VMK.

I don't think they thought of this.

~HAMD

awsomered
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I think some things like Hannah Montanna and HSM has sold a lot but most people dont like those. Which gives people bad thoughts about the Disney Company

FrontierDonovan
04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't play "Webkinz" but I do buy items for my sister. I have spent over $260.00 on plush toys and all that.

littlebirdy
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah they should. They are losing so much $ because of it and that is there fault not ours!!

AlphaYankeeFan
04-26-2008, 12:47 AM
YAAA but webkinz is lik dumboooooooo haha so.

yah i mean i have like 44 webkinz plush toys i mean i dont play the game so... replyyyy oh my rofl !!!!@@@@@

FabTab
04-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Seriously, I wish disney would do the same like webkinz has done. Smart!

DiamondMeme
04-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, they should sell some items to keep vmk going! Going to DLR and WDW makes a lot of money but they should sell other stuff too! Like really cute Jake and Hailey plushes or like 2 vmk code cards for $7.00 or something! I'd really buy those Jake and Hailey plushies!

princesgirl
04-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I couuldn't agree with you more! If they made VMK more safer and sell some stuff like Webkinz and some of our ideas ( Like Gorams that would be really cool!)

icefire_dragon
04-26-2008, 01:38 AM
You all have very good point, I agree with every single one of you.

I would totally buy any VMK items that came out. Definately the stuffed toys ;) (I'm very imature). It would be cool if they maybe put out some of the furniture from VMK into real items. Then we could all have REAL VMK rooms! They should also make clothing that looks like some of our VMK costumes. HUGE seller there! I can smell the money already!

~*Ice*~

PinkPinkNicole
04-26-2008, 01:42 AM
seriously, right now i'll do anything to keep vmk open.

the only reason i begged my parents to take me to the park last
year and the 2 years before was because of vmk (and we live
pretty far away so i had to do a lot of begging).

even though the no. of players on vmk daily isn't as much as, let's
say maplestory... it still has a lot of players who are dedicated
beyond one's imagination.

i wish they would realize that.

DiamondMeme
04-28-2008, 05:48 AM
I mean for people who like junk, VMK stuff made into real is the thing to keep vmk goin! How about those plushies eh? Make good gifts for anybody including you! Oh and they could like come with a vmk code card for an in-game virtual Jake or Hailey Plush! And at the disney parks they could sell the HM suits as great costumes for your little kids! And you know what would be even better? VMK should sell stuff on their home page and then people won't have to look for them in stores. Yea... I'm good in business @_@ ;)

tiedyenaj
04-28-2008, 06:27 AM
well you can buy vmk T-shirts posters stamps and mugs at this website http://www.zazzle.com/collections/disneyinkshop/gallery.asp?dsny_ctgy_type=story&general_category_id=196470097703168213&dsny_ctgy_level=1&dsny_ctgy1=

camara
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
idk about any of you, but personally i want to take a room in vmk (so many choices, but probably castle forcourt or frontierland hub) and have it painted on one whole side of my room (the entire wall). Well, maybe just a good part of it...idk. I wish i could convince my parents to find somebody who could do that lol.

Exoxus
04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Exactly. The only issue?

There isn't as big of a market for VMK things as there are for the stuffed plushies of Webkinz. In all of the elementary schools in my area, these things are all the rage from grades 1-5.

And that is not, and won't be the case for VMK cards. Maybe that is different in the Disney parks areas, I don't know, but VMK is far from international to a large enough extent for it to become profitable enough to live on these sales.

As unfortunate as it is, I think it's over.

-X

SkyRocket
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
At the disney store they did sale VMK t-shirts once. During Yeti Month

mktourist
04-29-2008, 01:45 PM
The selling of plushies is an ideal way to create an entry level audience to a social community which is in itself a marketing tool for future sales. Kudo's to Webkinz for recognizing this. It is unfortunate that Disney failed to have the same foresight. It certainly would have been within it's capability to do so. They sell tons of stuffed toys each year. A plush is something tangible that one kid can gift to another. In return they are usually gifted back in kind at a later point. Having an attached access code to the game allows them to experience the site and message back and forth. If they enjoy the experience, they tell friends about the site or gift them a plush toy which draws them into the community as well.

I agree the potential for sales of VMK cards as they presently exist is primarily limited to existing players. That is not to say that the potential profit from them isn't substantial. You only have to visit online auction sites to see how much people are willing to pay for certain cards to get an inkling of that potential. I'm sure that the makers of Pokeman heard the same negativity before they took their product international. They did so by creating a movie and a TV series to help promote their product. I think their success speaks for itself.

Except for some cards included in DVD's or codes in cereal boxes VMK was never really promoted. Most of it's audience was created through word of mouth. This is not a failure of the game, it's a failure of leadership to recognize it's potential as a marketing tool and maximize it's benefit.

EtnaGreen
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
well you can buy vmk T-shirts posters stamps and mugs at this website http://www.zazzle.com/collections/disneyinkshop/gallery.asp?dsny_ctgy_type=story&general_category_id=196470097703168213&dsny_ctgy_level=1&dsny_ctgy1=

Thanks for the link I got a vmk t shirt from the disney web site last year, and it costed it a lot more and didn't nearly have the options that site has.

Gorams
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh, and for the plush characters that i said earlier, you could also buy new clothes and change them. With an extra fee to have the name on the back of course ;)

ccooldudecool
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
That would be interesting if they did have VMK action figures....

SkyRocket
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I would buy a Yavn plush in a heart beat.

LittleToni
05-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I would buy a Yavn plush in a heart beat.

Right now I would let my dog use it as a chew toy ;)

EtnaGreen
05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Right now I would let my dog use it as a chew toy ;)

If I had one I would throw darts at it. :)