View Full Version : VMK Just A... Advertisment...?

Friez
04-09-2008, 08:25 PM
My buddy ozzietropics just realized this: VMK was just a huge ad. Think about it. The last two months, Pirate and ToonTown, we're ads to get people to play those games and make Disney some money. I'm not saying the whole time it was, just the last two months. Any comments?

Jacques
04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
That's never been a secret. VMK was created to advertise Disney's 50th anniversary celebration. All it's ever been is a vehicle for marketing the Parks/Films/Products etc.

Peggo
04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Yup, all along it's been an ad for Disney parks. That's where the money came from to produce and keep it running.

Tris-Remix
04-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Yup, i thought it was a game for fun, not an ad, and i know why they advertise toontown and potco because they want other players to go on that since vmk si closing, anyways since it was an ad, was it meant to close on this day or no

prisoner
04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Except where quoting others, these opinions are mine and mine alone.

Here is another secret.

The theme parks are just advertisements for the movies.

The movies are just advertisements for the theme parks.

Disney Channel is just an advertisement for the company, and all of its products, as well.

Pirates Online is an advertisement for the movies and park attraction, and vice versa.

This was the brilliance of Disney - everything can advertise everything else.

That didn't make VMK, or any of these other things, less fun, did it?

VMK was created to advertise Disney's 50th anniversary celebration.

Do you have a source for this, besides Yavn repeatedly saying it? There is some evidence that this is not true, but just what they want us to think right now.

Epcotfans
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
ok here is the truth everyone

VMK = no money

clubpenguin = money

toontown = money

pirates online = money

vmk doesn't make money making it a small game all the others get money making disney happy and richer

Peggo
04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
The money came to VMK through the advertising budget, and I believe attendance in the parks did rise when VMK began. That's where it made money for Disney.
I have no problem with Disney's cross promoting, because I love all the Disney productions. But if I'm going to devote time to a game I want it to not frustrate and annoy me.
It could have been truly magical with Disney's advertizing budget.

Jacques
04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you have a source for this, besides Yavn repeatedly saying it? There is some evidence that this is not true, but just what they want us to think right now.

I don't think it's ever been a secret. I have no source, but that's been the word the entire time. I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise.

Mintypal
04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
i dont think this is a secret i kinda figured when i joined vmk.
all these things are from disney all from the same company.
its not like they are advertising habbo hotel.

ACECpt.RICH
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
I honestly believe the sudden closure of VMK was not planned what-so-ever.
I also do not believe that is was a mere promotion, like someone mentioned, it's just what VMK wants us to think right now.

Just last week everything was all happy in the VMK community, even the previous newsletter was decent, just about the values and randomly hinting at the whole promotion and free to play deal -- and then randomly the other day we hear it's going away. Coincidence..? I think NOT!

Wondermanforever
04-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I honestly believe the sudden closure of VMK was not planned what-so-ever.
I also do not believe that is was a mere promotion, like someone mentioned, it's just what VMK wants us to think right now.

Just last week everything was all happy in the VMK community, even the previous newsletter was decent, just about the values and randomly hinting at the whole promotion and free to play deal -- and then randomly the other day we hear it's going away. Coincidence..? I think NOT!

Exactly. You don't change your mind in 1 week(if even that).
Something is wrong that they aren't telling us, and lying to keep us off their backs for the time being.

Jacques
04-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh, I agree that it's not merely a promotion that has come to a close. There's more to it than that. I still feel that it is due to the disaster that was the Blackheart Quest that caused them to pull the plug.

They are merely claiming that it has run its course. I don't buy that for a second.

prisoner
04-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't think it's ever been a secret. I have no source, but that's been the word the entire time. I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise.

There is lots of evidence otherwise:

Why have a promotion about a promotion? The Kelloggs promotion was launched with the game.
What about the herbie promotion? That was in October of 2005, well within the time that the game was supposed to be promoting the park.
And what about this quote from the 2005 Disney Annual Report

ENHANCING THE GUEST EXPERIENCE ONLINE

Virtual Magic Kingdom extends the Disney theme park experience
to the online world, building an entirely new connection to
Guests and driving visitation to Disney theme parks. Guests can
create online characters, compete in action-packed games
based on real Disney attractions, hang out with friends, build
and decorate their own rooms, and even win cool prizes. Virtual
Magic Kingdom-themed locations at Disneyland in California and
the Magic Kingdom in Florida encourage Guests to bring their
online experience to the real world, as they embark on exciting
quests in the parks and win rewards that can then be used in
the virtual world.

which, you will notice, does not talk about the 50th anniversary at all. In fact, it is mentioned along with two other things that are clearly long-term projects.

Destination
04-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Everything is just an advertisement to everything else. It's just one big circle. lol

limitegal
04-09-2008, 09:49 PM
thats what i think too... but vmk does make money... i mean people go to WDW or DLR to do vmk quests and stuff.. doesn't that make any money..??

Jacques
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
There is lots of evidence otherwise:

Why have a promotion about a promotion? The Kelloggs promotion was launched with the game.
What about the herbie promotion? That was in October of 2005, well within the time that the game was supposed to be promoting the park.

Just because it started out promoting the Park, doesn't mean it was limited to that. It became a perfect marketing vehicle for other Disney properties.

And what about this quote from the 2005 Disney Annual Report which, you will notice, does not talk about the 50th anniversary at all. In fact, it is mentioned along with two other things that are clearly long-term projects.

Again, it could very well have been started out as a 50th celebration promotion, but not limited to that. If it became successful, why not use it for other purposes.

I'm just going off what I have heard and understood from many different sources over the 3 years of the game.

anthonyjr2
04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
but still even if vmk was an ad we still turned it into something better.. some place where friends can have fun and chat.... i love vmk and dont think it was an ad at all

WisePrncessSophie
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Ad or not...

I am trying to listen to my Millennium Celebration and Wishes CDs and I can't stop from feeling a strong sadness.

If VMK goes dark on May 21st, it will seem hypocritical to tell us to believe in wishes, when this wish of so many VMK fans goes unheard in this way. At least allow us to pay.

sunday_monkey
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
In response to this quote from prisoner regarding VMK only being made to promote Disneyland's 50th Anniversary:

There is some evidence that this is not true, but just what they want us to think right now.

Yeah, I don't buy the whole "VMK was only made to promote the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland" bit. Sure, that might have been one of the first promotions featured on VMK, but I don't believe a game of this magnitude was built solely for that purpose. As prisoner stated in another post, none of the original news releases about the game mentioned it was only meant to promote the anniversary.

I think it's just very convenient (if not a total cop-out) to use that as an excuse to close the game instead of giving us the real reasons.

Jacques
04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Like I stated, while it may have started out as a promotion, it grew into something much more. I don't buy the "promotion has served its purpose and is done" argument VMK has offered us. There is more to it than that that they haven't (and likely won't) tell us.

NRock
04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Jacques is correct. Not to mention if you have the copy of a May 2005 newspaper, it states exactly what VMK is for.

PixelProphet
04-10-2008, 10:03 AM

that was the idea the entire time. ever since beta, that it was to celebrate DLR's 50th, and help drive traffic to it, (hence the in park quests, and vip tours)

Kit
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
VMK = no money

Actually I spent a lot of money @_@
VMK Pins from WDW 4 sets (boxes of 2)
Disney movies to get Movie Rewards points
Trips to Disney to do the in-park quests

Which is why I won't go to the parks or buy Disney DVDs for two years.
-Kit

Acepowerboy
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
The only thing good that I see about this advertising game closing, is that now when I go to WDW I don't have to buy anything that I didn't want just to get a code. Like the pins. I got so many of the same ones.

dreamytime
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
<site removed> is also mention of the temporariness of VMK. It was stated, "...the company will begin its eighteen month global campaign on May 5th, with a free online multiplayer game called Virtual Magic Kingdom, which will include virtual versions of Disney’s five global resorts and eleven theme parks." VMK, like Cinderellabration, was never intended to last forever.

The argument is moot. So what if it was meant to be temporary?!? We, the loyal fan-base, want it to stay forever.

Focus your arguments toward Disney and WDIG to KEEP VMK, not toward one another. It is bad form to see two moderators arguing. Similar to seeing your parents argue - first thing that pops into your head 'are they getting divorced?!?'

TravisSch
04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Like I stated, while it may have started out as a promotion, it grew into something much more. I don't buy the "promotion has served its purpose and is done" argument VMK has offered us. There is more to it than that that they haven't (and likely won't) tell us.

I agree with you Jacques. I'm sure this was more than just a "promotion." I want VMK to stay open for a long time, just was not expecting 3 years.

BonoGirl
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Not sure how they can close a game that creates a virtual replication of their parks. Be a person in the Magic Kingdom, how can that not sell on someone? Better than being a penguin, or a stuffed animal or a cartoon character.

It seems to me there were marketing opportunities that could have made this bigger and better and those individuals are the ones that failed. Easily the bean counters could determine how much movies were sold as a result of DMR codes being redeemed for virtual prizes. And so on. Marketing is what failed this project, not Yavn.

prisoner
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
that was the idea the entire time. ever since beta, that it was to celebrate DLR's 50th, and help drive traffic to it, (hence the in park quests, and vip tours)

Cite a reference. I've cited three indications from 2005 why it doesn't seem like it was a temporary park promotion.

<site removed> is also mention of the temporariness of VMK. It was stated, "...the company will begin its eighteen month global campaign on May 5th, with a free online multiplayer game called Virtual Magic Kingdom, which will include virtual versions of Disney’s five global resorts and eleven theme parks." VMK, like Cinderellabration, was never intended to last forever.

It began the campaign by opening the game. It does not say the game itself was only to last 18 months. Tho I see what you're saying.

I would also point out that Disney did several other things for the celebration that remain open. (Soarin at WDW, for example. Space Mountain refurb at DL, for another.)

The argument is moot. So what if it was meant to be temporary?!? We, the loyal fan-base, want it to stay forever.

Focus your arguments toward Disney and WDIG to KEEP VMK, not toward one another. It is bad form to see two moderators arguing. Similar to seeing your parents argue - first thing that pops into your head 'are they getting divorced?!?'

I don't think we're arguing, just disagreeing. Disagreement is fine.

I think why its important to understand this point is because this is the line that Disney is feeding us NOW, and I think it is a false point. It is retro-history. It is part of the campaign telling us to "sit down and be happy you had it this long".

It may also be what Disney is trying to say internally to justify the position.

Pointing out why its incorrect is important (imho) in the letters that I hope you're writing to the company.

VMKJen
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Right when they closed VMK Central in the parks, they started going down-hill. Thats when they lost their money. Some people only came to the parks to play quests and stuff. You shut VMK Central down- people stop coming. Now they lost money- so their shutting VMK down... its sad.

I believe at first VMK was probably a promotion. But I think as time flew by- that changed.

AcePirateDan
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
All along it's been an advertisement to "get you to the parks",

Your JUST now realizing it?

Marian1601
04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Lets hurt them in their pockets then!

I found a survery on disneymovierewards about their news letter. After about 3 questions you can put in your personal thoughts. I told them I would no longer be interested in purchasing movies for rewards unless they continue to offer VMK items. Lets flood every avenue with our Please Save VMK Campaign!

It is a small Mickey "tell us what you think" thing at the bottom of the rewards page.

Jacques
04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Actually I spent a lot of money @_@
VMK Pins from WDW 4 sets (boxes of 2)
Disney movies to get Movie Rewards points
Trips to Disney to do the in-park quests

Which is why I won't go to the parks or buy Disney DVDs for two years.
-Kit

And for your money, you got pins, movies and trips. You didn't buy virtual items. You bought real items, and got virtual bonuses. Nobody should have spent any money directly on VMK.

It is bad form to see two moderators arguing. Similar to seeing your parents argue - first thing that pops into your head 'are they getting divorced?!?'

Not a hostile argument in the least. Merely stating different opinions. Nothing to worry about. I hold great respect for Priz.

Cindrbellas
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
"..In particular, the company will begin its eighteen month global campaign on May 5th, with a free online multiplayer game called Virtual Magic Kingdom, which will include virtual versions of Disney’s five global resorts and eleven theme parks.....Advergaming is becoming particularly popular with companies who are having trouble reaching audiences via traditional routes.."

Even though it was apart of the 18-month 50th Celebration campaign, VMK has more to often than they realize.
They have neglected us for their pay-to-play games for quite some time now, and have been encouraging us to join those games.

There are not many games out there that interest both kids and adults - even families. :(

cteddiesgirl
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Except where quoting others, these opinions are mine and mine alone.

Here is another secret.

The theme parks are just advertisements for the movies.

The movies are just advertisements for the theme parks.

Disney Channel is just an advertisement for the company, and all of its products, as well.

Pirates Online is an advertisement for the movies and park attraction, and vice versa.

This was the brilliance of Disney - everything can advertise everything else.

That didn't make VMK, or any of these other things, less fun, did it?

ITA! I've known almost since I started playing that it was a promotional tool. Especially after I found out about the park quests.
Just about everything Disney does is a promotional tool to something else of theirs.

thats what i think too... but vmk does make money... i mean people go to WDW or DLR to do vmk quests and stuff.. doesn't that make any money..??
It did until they pulled the plug on the in park kiosks and the in park quests.

They have also pulled the plug on the VMK DMR tie ins. I know of many people that bought movies when they wouldn't have just to get the codes for virtual items.

The company has consistently pulled money making ideas from the game. It's almost as if someone didn't want VMK to succeed.

Not sure how they can close a game that creates a virtual replication of their parks. Be a person in the Magic Kingdom, how can that not sell on someone? Better than being a penguin, or a stuffed animal or a cartoon character.

It seems to me there were marketing opportunities that could have made this bigger and better and those individuals are the ones that failed. Easily the bean counters could determine how much movies were sold as a result of DMR codes being redeemed for virtual prizes. And so on. Marketing is what failed this project, not Yavn.
Exactly. There is just so much that could have been done and still can be done to make VMK a viable promotional tool. And with some smart thinking, they could keep it free to players.

All they need to do then is get better servers and get better customer service.

I can think of so much that they could do and I'm not in marketing and have little immagination. I think they need some better people in their marketing department.

TBS.SBEDbffl
04-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Yea, that does make money. Another thing that makes money is people buying VMK cards from Disney and eBay, vmk was just a big ad.

benihodge
04-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Lets hurt them in their pockets then!

I found a survery on disneymovierewards about their news letter. After about 3 questions you can put in your personal thoughts. I told them I would no longer be interested in purchasing movies for rewards unless they continue to offer VMK items. Lets flood every avenue with our Please Save VMK Campaign!

It is a small Mickey "tell us what you think" thing at the bottom of the rewards page.

Here's some contact info if you want try to convince them to keep vmk running.
Disney Internet Services:
(866) 993-6263 {Potc Online Support}
----------
Disney Internet Group Phone Number 818-623-3200
Address: 5161 Lankershim Blvd., 4th Fl.
North Hollywood, CA 91601
President: Stephen H. (Steve) Wadsworth
---------
Steve Parkis to lead Disney Online Studios
Please call his assistant Rebecca Metz at 818-623-3313
[email protected]

[email protected]...
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
-----------
Walt Disney Internet Group
Brandy Phillips, 818-623-3764
[email protected]
----------
[email protected]
----------
Walt Disney Company
Attn: Robert Iger
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521-9722

Walt Disney Imagineering
Attn: Tony Baxter
1401 Flower Street
P.O. Box 25020
Glendale, CA 91221-502

Disneyland Resort
Attn: Ed Grier
1313 South Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim , CA 92802
E - M A I L
Disneyland Resort - http://www.disneyland.com/contact
-----------------
Walt Disney Corp.
818-560-1000

Walt Disney Corp.
500 So. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, Ca. 91521

Sorry in advance if I'm not suppose to post this type of info.

Jacques
04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Nobody has ever bought VMK cards from Disney. They do not sell cards. They sold pins (which come with cards), they sold merchandise in the hat shops, candy stores, magic stores, etc (and free cards were given). But Disney has never sold cards by themselves.

benihodge
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM
That is true

trainz
04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Nobody has ever bought VMK cards from Disney. They do not sell cards. They sold pins (which come with cards), they sold merchandise in the hat shops, candy stores, magic stores, etc (and free cards were given). But Disney has never sold cards by themselves.

So It's a lie? I heard there were VMK card packs in some Disney Stores. You know the rare ones not located in WDW and DLR.

Jacques
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
So It's a lie? I heard there were VMK card packs in some Disney Stores. You know the rare ones not located in WDW and DLR.
It's not a lie. It's a rumor. There's a difference. Disney has never sold VMK cards. Period.

bopper
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Of course it is an Ad. But Ads are to get you to buy stuff.
Here is how Disney made money from me via VMK:

1) Trips to Walt Disney World. I remember in 2005 when my husband I were talking about where to go on vacation, I immediately suggested Disneyworld as I wanted to do some of the in-park quests that allowed you to get park-specific virtual items for VMK.

2) Stays in the Disneyland hotels. My husband had some business trips to the L.A. area, and he went early and stayed in a Disneyland Hotel just to get the virtual "Stitch" items for VMK. They are still very rare in the VMK economy.

3) Disney Movie Rewards. I feel stupid now, but we bought a few more DVDs than we would have to get Disney Movie Rewards to get exclusive items for VMK. Anybody need a copy of "Invincable"?

4) Pins: I feel really really really stupid now, but just on Monday April 7th 2008, I went to Epcot as I was in town for a business trip. I bought some of the real-life VMK pin sets for both the pins and the virtual codes to get more VMK items, only hours before the announcement.

5) In park merchandise. With purchase of real items, you get some virtual items. I have a set of gold ears. I also have a set of virtual gold ears! I have some pins, and virtual “Penny Press” that I got with the purchase. I have a Splash Mountain Photo, and the virtual “Wanted Poster”. I have some magic tricks, and a “Magic Mirror.” Would I have bought all that without the VMK bonus? No, I wouldn’t have. Those magic tricks are sitting in a closet.

I want my money back. I spent money on Disney items to get VMK items as well as the physical items. But I no longer get the benefit of the VMK codes related to those items. I feel that they have reneged on their implied contract with us. I may be stupid to buy all that stuff, but I enjoyed the virtual items in VMK.

BeachCutie34
04-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Of course it is an Ad. But Ads are to get you to buy stuff.
Here is how Disney made money from me via VMK:

1) Trips to Walt Disney World. I remember in 2005 when my husband I were talking about where to go on vacation, I immediately suggested Disneyworld as I wanted to do some of the in-park quests that allowed you to get park-specific virtual items for VMK.

2) Stays in the Disneyland hotels. My husband had some business trips to the L.A. area, and he went early and stayed in a Disneyland Hotel just to get the virtual "Stitch" items for VMK. They are still very rare in the VMK economy.

3) Disney Movie Rewards. I feel stupid now, but we bought a few more DVDs than we would have to get Disney Movie Rewards to get exclusive items for VMK. Anybody need a copy of "Invincable"?

4) Pins: I feel really really really stupid now, but just on Monday April 7th 2008, I went to Epcot as I was in town for a business trip. I bought some of the real-life VMK pin sets for both the pins and the virtual codes to get more VMK items, only hours before the announcement.

5) In park merchandise. With purchase of real items, you get some virtual items. I have a set of gold ears. I also have a set of virtual gold ears! I have some pins, and virtual “Penny Press” that I got with the purchase. I have a Splash Mountain Photo, and the virtual “Wanted Poster”. I have some magic tricks, and a “Magic Mirror.” Would I have bought all that without the VMK bonus? No, I wouldn’t have. Those magic tricks are sitting in a closet.

I want my money back. I spent money on Disney items to get VMK items as well as the physical items. But I no longer get the benefit of the VMK codes related to those items. I feel that they have reneged on their implied contract with us. I may be stupid to buy all that stuff, but I enjoyed the virtual items in VMK.
I agree with you 100%. I also participated in and got VMK items from the parks. I would not have wasted that day on MY VACATION if all my VMK items was going to go to waste..

Jacques
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
For those of you who felt you spent money on things purely for the VMK items, and not the actual purchase, I am sad for you.

I too went to the parks and completed the quests, took the tours, bought the pins and the movies. But I have pins and movies and park memories that I enjoy. Saying they are all a waste means you're missing the point.

Sure, I wanted Dancing Inferno from the Rewards program, but I wasn't about to buy movies I didn't want just to get it. We all have to justify our actions. Disney is not responsible to compensate you for purchases.

I hope you enjoyed your time in the parks when you weren't participating in the quests. There are some really fun things to see and do! It would be a shame if you missed them.

TinkTaylor
04-10-2008, 09:23 PM
VMK actually did make Disney some money and nonbody can say it didnt.. take this example: CODES!!!!!! Those things are not cheap people.

Jacues I can definitly prove Disney DID sell those if you have ever been to Disney you guys would know this buy now! they sell them in DownTown Disney and in many stores in Epcot and Magic Kingdom

Jacques
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
VMK actually did make Disney some money and nonbody can say it didnt.. take this example: CODES!!!!!! Those things are not cheap people.

Codes are free. No money should ever have been spent to obtain them. Sure, you may have had to buy candy or hats or hotel stays, but for your money, you got candy or hats or hotel stays. The cards were free on top of those. Did VMK make Disney money? Sure. It boosted sales in the shops, and possibly hotel attendance. But VMK never sold virtual items directly. EVER.

Jacues I can definitly prove Disney DID sell those if you have ever been to Disney you guys would know this buy now! they sell them in DownTown Disney and in many stores in Epcot and Magic Kingdom

I have in fact been to Downtown Disney, and I can assure you, that nowhere do they sell VMK cards. It just wasn't done.

TinkTaylor
04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I Got 10 I REPEAT 10 Packages Of CODES At Disney And They Were Sold With Disney Limited Pins And I Dont CARE What Anyone Says I Bought It And Nobody Can Say " You Didnt Buy Them " WHEN Obviosly I Did. Unless You Were With Me HOW WOULD YOU KNOW!?!?!?!

Jacques
04-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I Got 10 I REPEAT 10 Packages Of CODES At Disney And They Were Sold With Disney Limited Pins And I Dont CARE What Anyone Says I Bought It And Nobody Can Say " You Didnt Buy Them " WHEN Obviosly I Did. Unless You Were With Me HOW WOULD YOU KNOW!?!?!?!

Ok, you bought pins sets, not codes. The codes were a free bonus for buying the pin sets. I bought them as well. But you are paying for the pins, and the pins alone. Again, VMK never sold codes.

Ariel_111
04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I get that VMK is/ was an advertisement that has always been obvious. But I don't see why the advertisement should end it has been a very good promo for them. They don't really have anything to gain by ending except making angry fans / players. I'm very upset about the whole thing I too spent money on things just for codes.
I can't stand to see all the time & money I've spent VMK go to waste they should have told us from the beginning that it was so temporary.
I started a petition to keep VMK open but unfortunatly they won't let me post the link here it's not from an "approved site" & I don't know what site would be an "approved site" to link from.

irule13116
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Vmk kinda did sell there codes u would have to pay to enter parks and get the codes

Jacques
04-10-2008, 10:03 PM
No, you are paying to enter the Park. I hope you didn't go in just for the codes. They have rides in there too! ;)

TinkTaylor
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Thank You Irule13116! They Did Do That Also And You Could Buy Them In Packs

HaveAMagicalDay
04-12-2008, 02:52 AM
To help my good friend Jacques:

For the pins that gave pirate quest stuff: Usual regular old pins at WDW or DLR cost (at least) $6.95 (without tax), VMK Pins that gave the pirate quest were about $15.00 (kind of including tax there, it's rounding), they contain 2 pins.

2 pins at about $7 each = about $14 (without tax).

You did NOT buy the codes or cards, you bought the pins, with a bonus, the card, with a code that contains pixels.

I've been to both WDW and DLR, and never have they sold the card with a code by itself, it was either given for free (by doing a tour, quest, or handed out).

If you came to WDW or DLR for just the cards, you just payed Disney money (and Disney isn't always cheap lol), for a virtual item, and a card you could put a cover over, and have it look nice. These cards aren't worth much, and I doubt they ever will. When I go to the parks, I go for the fun of the park, not for the virtual stuff.

Hope that helps you Jacques, and all of you who think that you bought the cards and pins.

TheFireworkZach
04-12-2008, 03:05 AM
They are all right about the codes just being an add-on, pins are usually worth more then $7 (per pin) and they are definitly going to be one of the items that really are going to gain value after VMK goes away because they will probably never be released again. I think I might just buy a pack of these just for the pins themselves because as a pin collector, value is always good although I am not sure if I would really want to so idk.

- Zach

hikoik
04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
It took you that long to figure it out?

Orangemarker
04-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I am grateful that I quit VMK a while ago, and I really am truly sorry for all you guys that are sad.

I figured this day would come, but I didn't know it would be in a month!

Disney Master 500
04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
well try adding this up guys:

Disney + vmk closing + bad publicity + plus angered fans/players + disappointed parents + loss of money + betraying Walt Disney + lies + advertising violent games + advertising pay to play games = (your answer here)