View Full Version : Applying for VMK Staff

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 05:18 AM
No, I am not applying for staff. But my Mom/Dad could probably apply. But thats my question: How do you apply?

They have both been to college (my Dad has been in the army for computers, and has had taken computers in college) so they are experienced in that field. My Mom has lots of computer experience.

So do you have to live in California/Florida? Do you have to work at Disney World/Land?

I havent actually asked them to consider applying, but if I do, they'll say "How do I apply?" Which takes me back to here. So give me a bit of info please? Thanks :)

Thriller
03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
I believe you should contact the Chairman about this. AFAIK, You have to have finished a computer degree in college and work at the parks first. It's kinda a promotion to be a staff member for VMK. And why would you want your parents to be STAFF? LOL

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Well I moved to the country, so my Mom is unemployed, and my Dad is stressed with his job, and I just think that would be really really cool! =D =D

I do live in Florida though, so I'm close to any "Disney resources" LOL

Excuse me..country as in..um, farmland. Not "Yeah, I just moved to the US." No, its more like "Yeah, I just moved away from the city life, and onto the country life."

Just had to clear things up there :) I'm a US citizen, always have been, LOL.

GraspingClaw
03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
You don't have to work for Disney, because the company that runs and staffs VMK is Sulake, and they are not Disney. Check Sulake's official website for employment opportunities. When it comes to being a Host, I'm pretty sure the most important thing to them is patience, some moderation experience, and a clear background check. I don't know exactly what they'd be looking for when it comes to designing, producing, or testing, though.

LIMODRIVER11
03-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Isn't there a certin age you must be?

FabTab
03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Isn't there a certin age you must be?
Im sure her parents are old enough to be staff LOL

Parched
03-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Trust me, whenever somebody tries to apply, you will just get this ...

Thank you for expressing an interest in working for VMK.

Currently we have no open positions with our team of carefully selected
and fully-trained community experts.

Regards,

--
VMK_Shorty
VMK Player Support

GraspingClaw
03-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Trust me, whenever somebody tries to apply, you will just get this ...

Thank you for expressing an interest in working for VMK.

Currently we have no open positions with our team of carefully selected
and fully-trained community experts.

Regards,

--
VMK_Shorty
VMK Player Support

That's why you don't contact VMK, otherwise known as the Home of the Generic Response. Try contacting Sulake directly. I'm not saying you have a great shot, but it's better than firing one into the Black Hole.

Parched
03-26-2008, 06:06 AM
You don't have to work for Disney, because the company that runs and staffs VMK is Sulake, and they are not Disney. Check Sulake's official website for employment opportunities. When it comes to being a Host, I'm pretty sure the most important thing to them is patience, some moderation experience, and a clear background check. I don't know exactly what they'd be looking for when it comes to designing, producing, or testing, though.

I'm pretty sure Sulake runs/develops Habbo. I could be wrong though.

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 06:27 AM
I talked to my parents about it. And yes they are most definately old enough, LOL

I'm having my Dad look into VMK tomorrow (because its 2:30 AM, we are night owls, lol) and my Mom just applied for Habbo Moderator. She's home a lot because I'm home-schooled, so she has a lot of free time and there isnt must to apply for in town.

Yeah I would expect an automated response like that from VMK. I think there is some sort of "underground application" LOL. Like you have to contact Disney or possibly go to WDW and ask them yourselves?

Baseballthrill
03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
The staff are people who work at disney and you have to have college degree. To apply you might want to go to casting in disney world/disney land and apply for disney asking for that job but not sure to get it. Yes i believe you have to live in the disney area.

TravisSch
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
If I remember correctly, the moderators (as in the VMK Staff and HOSTs) work for Sulake, and the designers, producers, and testers, etc. work for Disney.

I wish your parents good luck. :)

MyBirdHat
03-26-2008, 05:56 PM
wow, i wish my parents could be staff :) that would be awesome. but unfortunately, i'm more computer-skilled than the both of them combined -.-

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I'll stop by Disney Casting next time I go to WDW and ask them. If I cant make it there, I'll ask somebody at WDW.

Lol, I've always wondered what would happen. I probably couldnt follow her around all day, or tell anybody. Like, I can imagine go "Yeah, my Mom is a staff!" and then she gets fire LOL that would be funny, but unfortunate.

I hope you dont have to live in Cali :Question:

MyBirdHat
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I'll stop by Disney Casting next time I go to WDW and ask them. If I cant make it there, I'll ask somebody at WDW.

Lol, I've always wondered what would happen. I probably couldnt follow her around all day, or tell anybody. Like, I can imagine go "Yeah, my Mom is a staff!" and then she gets fire LOL that would be funny, but unfortunate.

I hope you dont have to live in Cali :Question:

well like someone already said, being a staff is sort of like a promotion. they first probably need to work at disneyworld/land for a few years. then eventually they get offered the oppertunity :)
so if u dont live in cali, then it would be kinda hard to go to disney almost every day :) oooh, expensive.

gabyta
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I know that to be a host you need to have a previous experience working with kids.

mickey0794
03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
The problem is, they want people who's kids do not play vmk. If the staff member has a child that plays vmk, the parent might be giving them un-fair advantages and/or the child lets it go to their head and brag about it to others.

Destination
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I heard from a HOST_ that you have to work with kids for 5 or so years.

mickey0794
03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Most staff have either no kids, or already have Grandchildren! @_@ They pick people like them for staff positions on purpose

slinkyman
03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Most of the VMK in-game moderators were once teachers or have worked with kids in some way. Just because someone has talent in computers doesn't mean they'll get accepted for a VMK in-game moderator position. If you once worked with kids, you probably will have a better chance at it. Also, like stated previously, VMK in-game moderators do not work for Disney, they work for Sulake but most likely contracted with Disney.

If someone was looking to work inside the VMK Development team (which is run by Disney) they would want to look into working on the Internet side of Disney. Although, for this position you would want to have great talent in working on computers.

Yet, remember VMK might not be looking for any new VMK Development team members or even in-game moderators since it costs Disney money to employ Cast Members for a free game.

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok well I'm home schooled, so my Mom has worked with kids and home schooling kids for a couple years. She's in fact been raising kids since the 70's..she has grandchildren LOL. just a few facts I'm throwing around here.

I wouldnt brag about her being staff. I may go and see her some times, but I wouldnt tell anybody she's my Mom. And she wouldnt treat me specially.

Plus, she took a class to become a subsitute teacher. So I think there is a lot of kid/teen experience there ;)

cedog12
03-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Ok well I'm home schooled, so my Mom has worked with kids and home schooling kids for a couple years. She's in fact been raising kids since the 70's..she has grandchildren LOL. just a few facts I'm throwing around here.

I wouldnt brag about her being staff. I may go and see her some times, but I wouldnt tell anybody she's my Mom. And she wouldnt treat me specially.

Plus, she took a class to become a subsitute teacher. So I think there is a lot of kid/teen experience there ;)

you should tell your mother to gor for it we did just get a set of all new staff ( maruspial ciricket hurricane harmony and more i say it is worth a shot:)

Edit: and i heard the head quartes sue to be in WDW but our now in DLR so u have to live near by :)

mickey0794
03-26-2008, 07:09 PM
there may not be a "head quarters" seeing as Phinny can feed her cat while hosting a room ;)

Moonypie11
03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
LOL feed her cat. Wow, that made my day xD

I once asked a staff where they work...like, at an office, or at home? And they said "We arent allowed to give out that information." I'm guessing some probably work at an office, and some probably work at home? :/

the_phoenix
03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
there may not be a "head quarters" seeing as Phinny can feed her cat while hosting a room ;)

Her cat's named Phinny, too ;)

Also, it has been known (for a while) that HOST_s work at home.

I'm sure there's a VMK HQ, but I think only the producers and designers are allowed there.

cedog12
03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
their is headquartes yavn said so himslef

NRock
03-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Contacting Sulake will not help, unless you are applying for their company and/or Habbo.
Contacting WDIG will help more.

Note: You have the most chance of getting the job at VMK, when you barely know what it is.

Note 2: Being in the WDCP will help your chances too.

Wondermanforever
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Contacting Sulake will not help, unless you are applying for their company and/or Habbo.
Contacting WDIG will help more.

Note: You have the most chance of getting the job at VMK, when you barely know what it is.

Not true.

HOST_Hurricane had stated before that he played VMK before he became a host.

mickey0794
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Not true.

HOST_Hurricane had stated before that he played VMK before he became a host.

correction, the person you quoted said Most chance not that's the ONLY way.

Khaki_footed
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM

i just wanted to correct something. it's actually the WDWCP. the best way to get into The Disney Company on the ground floor is the WDWCP. that fact may be a bit off the main topic here though.

Ali-Rae
03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
You have to work at Disneyland. There's actually a Disney college :)

Jacques
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
You have to work at Disneyland. There's actually a Disney college :)

The Disney College is not an actual school, but more like a series of training seminars for Park administrators.

xoop
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah...there was a person on VMK who claimed his parent was a staff member who gave him free rare. Anyways, I wish your parents luck in figuring out how to do this, and if they do, then I wish them luck in the area of getting the job, too.

FrontierDonovan
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Whoever said their parent was or is VMK staff doesn't actually have anything to prove whatever he said.

poloshia
03-27-2008, 11:09 PM
There's probably a 99% chance that he is lying.

Yeah...there was a person on VMK who claimed his parent was a staff member who gave him free rare. Anyways, I wish your parents luck in figuring out how to do this, and if they do, then I wish them luck in the area of getting the job, too.

Jacques
03-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I'd say it's a greater chance than that. If that person was found out to be receiving gifts from a staff family member, that family member would be fired pretty quickly.

You can't always believe what you hear.

mickey0794
03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd say it's a greater chance than that. If that person was found out to be receiving gifts from a staff family member, that family member would be fired pretty quickly.

You can't always believe what you hear.

In vmk, it's more like see... lol

Moonypie11
03-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I would expect their parents to be fired from VMK if they told everybody because that spoils everything. If a VMK Staff has children, the children probably either keep their mouth shut, or dont play VMK. It would be unfair, because everybody would want to be the staff's child's friend, and want items, and would bug the child like crazy. And staff dont get free items, so thats a lie right there.

Does anybody know where to apply? Specifically? Would you use Sulake?

Destination
03-28-2008, 12:54 AM
I would expect their parents to be fired from VMK if they told everybody because that spoils everything. If a VMK Staff has children, the children probably either keep their mouth shut, or dont play VMK. It would be unfair, because everybody would want to be the staff's child's friend, and want items, and would bug the child like crazy. And staff dont get free items, so thats a lie right there.

Does anybody know where to apply? Specifically? Would you use Sulake?

Most likely to Sulake.

Moonypie11
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm going to WDW soon..is there somebody I could ask there?

iRaccoon
03-28-2008, 01:09 AM
If i recall I know where staff work at. Your parents could get the job if the following apply. Also, I'm not familiar with any pay. Yes or No the staff could pay.

Good with kids.
Notices Not To Say Bad Words In Dictionary Dancing.
Experience with computers is a MUST

Again my thoughts.

Baconbits
03-28-2008, 01:40 AM
I wonder how much they get paid.

Moonypie11
03-28-2008, 02:43 AM
1. Good with kids

My Mom/Dad have raised 5 kids :)

2. Notices Not To Say Bad Words In Dictionary Dancing.

I dont think that will be a problem, lol

3. Experience with computers is a MUST

Oh my gosh yes, my parents have been using computers since like, the 70's

I dont think my Dad would apply. My Mom would, but probably not my Dad, lol.

PurpleCrazyLava
03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Did you search http://disneycareers.com/? I've been to that website. I would like to work at the place I, LOVE!!!!!!

Moonypie11
03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
ok, because i cant post ages ill just say my parents have plenty of experience.

ive looked at the career sight. not much help there :(

PolarFish
03-29-2008, 01:48 PM

There definately is an office.. A while ago (2/12/07) Yavn released a picture of a new lamp in the new offices.

That's a Wrap!
Well I hope you enjoyed the first week of February Fun Days, don't forget get extra credit by playing Haunted Mansion on Tuesday and Castle Fireworks remix on Thursday! You never know when a little extra bling may come in handy. Also I should mention the first VMK Race day is coming up this weekend, February 18th. So grab your driving helmet and race on over (it's a bad pun I know, but at least I didn't tell you to get in gear for VMK Race Day… on second thought, just scratch both of those puns).

What else? The new office is pretty cool, I'll try to get you some pics of it in upcoming Yavn Speaks blogs - I think Darth Vader designed the lights!

http://disneyonlineworlds.com/images/e/ec/YavnSpks-2007-02-12-officelamp.jpg

Construction of the Death Star Lamp is finally complete! Now VMK will rule the galaxy!

Ok time to go, we gotta wrap up the Epcot Quest… word on the street is it may be ready to kick off next week… Stay tuned!

See you in VMK! Yavn

I don't think HOSTS or VMK Staff work from the offices.. I am pretty sure they work from home

Moonypie11
03-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok so there is an office...any other info?

Super_acegirl
03-30-2008, 01:58 AM
yea that would be very expensive and who knows they might not need any more staff..... but they need more servers

icefire_dragon
03-30-2008, 12:44 PM
That "Not dictionary dancing" rule, don't staff still do it? VMK_Mocha used to do it all the time. She even told the room her birthstone using dictionary dancing .-. Just a question! I'm not implying anything to be rude!

Anyways, Moonypie, I wish your mom the best of luck in becoming a staff! I really hope she gets the job!

~*Icez*~

Moonypie11
03-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys ^^