View Full Version : Rug/stackable heights

gpdot
02-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I would love to see an item height guide added to the Wiki.... You seem to have done a little research in the area.... hint, hint....

tables don't seem to be an option here:

Neoteny
02-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Well I posted a list of heights, but I am also in the process of expanding it. I have done the measurements, but haven't updated the chart. Let me know if you think it is worth while.

Thanks
Ok, I understand the first table (carpets and rugs), but I don't get what's going on in the others.

Greenway
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Think of them as 3 separate tables.

Where is this table that you speak of. I am very curious.

Greenway
02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
At the bottom of post 51

GPDOT

Thanks. That's very helpful. I would encourage more research into this information.

I wish there were more stackables.

Oh, and someone mentioned earlier in the thread about being able to post posters on the sides of crate walls. I would like to endorse that idea.

Neoteny
02-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok, I get the tables now, but I think we need more information in the math column. You know, like what to add to make something level with something else.

prisoner
02-14-2008, 11:05 PM
For those of you that didn't notice - I've moved the discussion on item heights to its own thread. Mostly because this is something that we can do (and we've wanted to do for a while), and so it doesn't clutter up the other ideas thread.

And yes - I want to put this into the wiki. There are some changes to DOW coming soon (I hope), and this will fit into them nicely. So DOW isn't quite ready for them yet... but will be soon.

As for reporting the height - although you can't stack more than 8 high, it doesn't mean that the thinnest carpet can't be a good unit of measurement for the rest. It certainly lets us know how many ice cubes vs how many crates will get us to the same height (or at least it lets anyone who can do a bit of math know this).

Kudos on the work so far gpdot! Can't wait till I can get all this in the wiki, with your permission. :)

Neoteny
02-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Sweet. This is one of the most useful projects I've seen here. Thank you very much for your work!

One question: Are the Space Mountain post and Blizzard Beach rock not 1x1?

Also, I think you have the two Blizzard Beach rocks mixed up.

Neoteny
02-15-2008, 03:59 AM
This is great! I only wish I could give you more "rep" for this!

Greenway
02-15-2008, 05:08 AM
This is great! I only wish I could give you more "rep" for this!

Ditto that. Awesome information. Thanks gpdot

Nickle
02-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Love the idea! But only one thing, it is going to be VERY difficult to do this with all items. How are you counting the pixels?

-Coin

Nickle
02-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Thats great! But that does leave ALOT of items. :)

Neoteny
02-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Thats great! But that does leave ALOT of items. :)
The heights of non-stackable items are irrelevant, because they don't need to line up with adjacent items.

the_phoenix
02-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Well, I know for a fact that the Magic Show cubes (both) are the same height as a Palm Tree Trunk.

Greenway
02-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Question: Are Candy Cauldrons stackable?

Neoteny
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Well, I know for a fact that the Magic Show cubes (both) are the same height as a Palm Tree Trunk.
I know that, too, thanks to GPDOT'S wonderful table!

LadyBella
02-15-2008, 03:34 PM
great work gpdot :)
btw, i believe the cloud prop should be listed on your chart as 2x2

Neoteny
02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
You list all the "posts" again under "stack items" (which I think is a good idea), but you left out the crow's nest pole and tall Space Mountain post.

(Sorry to keep nitpicking; you've done an amazing job!)

reality
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Personally, I think this should be called VMK "Pick Nit" Forums!

And may I say Bravo GPDOT!! :please:

DarthMelissa
02-15-2008, 08:26 PM
This is just amazing. I know for certain I'll be using it when I build something in the future!

Nickle
02-16-2008, 12:41 AM
The heights of non-stackable items are irrelevant, because they don't need to line up with adjacent items.

If we only have the height of the stackable items it would look funny if the others didn't have a height, dont you think?

Neoteny
02-16-2008, 12:53 AM
You missed this:

You list all the "posts" again under "stack items" (which I think is a good idea), but you left out the crow's nest pole and tall Space Mountain post.

Nickle
02-16-2008, 01:20 AM
No, the only reason we need the height at all is to be able to make piles the same height to be able to stack stuff that is larger than a 1x1 item. The height of the things that can go on the top or the floor, but not have anything stacked on them, is really of no concern.

There is no need to know the height of those items unless it is sheer curiosity. The stack height has a use in building.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Got it...

Thanks

GPDOT

It does make sense, altho all the non-stackable items would not have the height and it would look weird, imo.

Neoteny
02-16-2008, 02:29 AM
It does make sense, altho all the non-stackable items would not have the height and it would look weird, imo.
The non-stackable items aren't incuded in the table, so there's nothing there to "look weird."

Uncle Alaska
02-16-2008, 05:57 AM
How about the bear rug? I think it is stackable, as I have them stacked on each other in my store room.

Nickle
02-16-2008, 06:42 AM
The non-stackable items aren't incuded in the table, so there's nothing there to "look weird."

I am not talking about in the table, I am talking about if it gets added to the wiki.

Nickle
02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Ok so right now the Wiki DOW includes if it is stackable, and I assume a number will go next to that. Other Items don't say that it is not stackable.

We can just wait to see what Prisoner has in mind.

Thanks

Thats an idea, we could add it to the template {{stackable}} maybe it look something like {{stackable|height here}}..

prisoner
02-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't want to take this over with a wiki discussion, but there are some big changes coming in how we record info for items (see this thread (http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138927) for details if you care about DOW internals), and as part of that I plan to include the item height.

Neoteny
02-16-2008, 03:11 PM
New items today = more work for GPDOT. Look what you've gotten yourself into!

Neoteny
02-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I had the spots entered last night, but this morning I was AMAZED at a find...

The Star rugs have ZERO height

That means you can use them as the base for the room and have things on and off of them and it won't affect the room.

Wow. That... It hadn't even occurred to me that that might be possible! They still count toward the eight-item limit, right?

MagicMonkeys
02-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Wow. That... It hadn't even occurred to me that that might be possible! They still count toward the eight-item limit, right?

Find the answer in this quote:

Originally posted by gpdot
That means you can use them as the base for the room and have things on and off of them and it won't affect the room.

Aggie
02-17-2008, 02:10 AM
very very helpful thanks a lot

Neoteny
02-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Maybe someday we'll be able to buy a "hole," like in Roger Rabbit, which will have a negative height!

bee2u
02-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Just wanted to thank you, gpdot. I've already used this table several times, and it hasn't even been 2 full weeks since you posted it.

Nortie
03-09-2008, 05:55 AM
Not to sound rude, but why would we need to know the height sizes? just curious

slinkyman
03-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I really love this guide. It helps room builders a lot!

I was wondering if on Stack Items you could put (walkable) or (seat) next to the ones you can walk/sit on.

Walkable Example: Galleon Side (walkable)

Seat Example: Ice Cube Chair (seat)

Dizney_Princess
03-16-2008, 07:03 PM
wow im really glad you did this because this is really helpful if we could give rep i would've but good work!! :)

Fattback
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Tyvm it helps alot of new people!

Greenway
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I see you snuck the refreshment table into your research already. Thanks GPDOT.