View Full Version : Community Leader Program

slinkyman
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi,

This is my thoughts of a new community leader program.

I would like to start off with this saying:

This thread is to discuss MY IDEA of the Community Leader Program.
NOT IF IT SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T COME BACK.

Idea -

The application would include close to 50 in-depth questions about VMK. Questions like "What will you do in ____ situation?".

If you are accepted you will receive the Community Leader Badge inside your Lanyard/Profile & the CL_ prefix for your current VMK name. You will not be able to have any staff on your list.

You will have access to the Community Leader Control Panel. This idea is a watered-down version of certain staff options. This idea should also remind you of the boards (Mod CP, Admin CP, etc.)

CL CP Button (community leader control panel) -

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/44e8f9273a.png

Community Leader CP 'USERS' -

http://xs224.******/xs224/08055/communityleadercpusers797.png

There will be two tabs on the window that comes up. The window is the CL CP. The first tab is "USERS". Under this tab is where you will be able to find out who is in the current room. It will also list every user who has left the room since you entered. Once you leave the room and enter another the list will start again. This way if you need to get a name of a person who was doing things against the values and left the room you can easily find their name. There will be a few options which include: Mute, Pre-set warnings, & Boot. Now I am sure people are saying: "People will use this inappropriately". Well first off you will have to go through the long application, you must not have any bans, and overall a good person. If you break or misuse ANY of the options you will lose the CL. If it was an honest mistake you may send your case into the contact us option called "CL Recovery". The 'report to upper mod' button just opens the staff button.

Community Leader CP 'STAFF' -

http://xs224.******/xs224/08055/communityleadercpstaff657.png

The "STAFF" tab is basically an emergency tab. This is the way a CL could get to staff immediately. There could also be a standard 'someone' you could send a message to. If you type "VMK" under the 'To:__' section it will send in a message to the VMK Team where VMK will look into the issue(s). Once again if you use this inappropriately you will lose your CL.

There might be more changes and more edits to come. Right now this is the basic idea.

Please post any questions about this edit - I will be glad to clarify it.

REMINDER: This thread is about my edit and idea - not if it should come back, how vmk would run it, or if vmk would even do this.

Thanks for reading,
slinkyman

EtnaGreen
02-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I think thats a really great idea, as for the cl's being punished they wont, they didn't do it last time and I highly doubt they will this time. I also dont think this will be rewarded over fairly. I know many people who are good friends with staff and get special treatment. So if they answered all the questions wrong I am sure they will get the job anyway. Other than that its a really great idea, wouldn't it be cool if they got like special ears or clothes or something that was nontradeble. So people could tell right away they were a cl?

coolJamz
02-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Great Idea! but i dont think staff will give players that much power- unless the Q&A is very specific

slinkyman
02-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I think thats a really great idea, as for the cl's being punished they wont, they didn't do it last time and I highly doubt they will this time. I also dont think this will be rewarded over fairly. I know many people who are good friends with staff and get special treatment. So if they answered all the questions wrong I am sure they will get the job anyway. Other than that its a really great idea, wouldn't it be cool if they got like special ears or clothes or something that was nontradeble. So people could tell right away they were a cl?

This is not the same program. The staff in the game won't have a say about who the VMK Team chooses. Just like I said above this is not the same program - they would be punished if they mess around with things on purpose. I don't think they should get special clothing (unless wearing it was optional) because people always like to change their look around and wear new clothing.

Once again this thread is about my edit and idea - not if it should come back, how vmk would run it, or if vmk would even do this.

-slinkyman ******

Stitchco
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I find your idea to be quite a good one at that slinky. You should try and suggest this one to the VMK staff.

-Stitch

HaveAMagicalDay
The idea on this is good, but I really don't think the CL_'s should have any power at all. We are not staff, therefore we shouldn't be muting, sending warnings, etc.

No matter what, leaders are here to help, not be like a mod warning people, that's a VMK Staff Members job, and that's probably what some of the VMK Staff do is watch text from certain places.

Yes, I do like the idea on having a list of staff, so we can tell them FOR EMERGENCES ONLY problems.

~HAMD

KrazyLuke
Although I think your idea is very well and would be cool to see in a game I have to say I wouldn't want to see it in VMK. It is basically the same idea of the old program, but added more to give the player "power" in the game. Your idea seems to be mainly centered more around Moderating when it should be centered around Helping.

Neoteny
02-01-2008, 11:15 PM
No good. Players should not have power over other players.

Soufriere_Hills
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
no its not for banning its like a regualar report

slinkyman
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Excellent idea! 6/5!

I find your idea to be quite a good one at that slinky. You should try and suggest this one to the VMK staff.

-Stitch

The idea on this is good, but I really don't think the CL_'s should have any power at all. We are not staff, therefore we shouldn't be muting, sending warnings, etc.

No matter what, leaders are here to help, not be like a mod warning people, that's a VMK Staff Members job, and that's probably what some of the VMK Staff do is watch text from certain places.

Yes, I do like the idea on having a list of staff, so we can tell them FOR EMERGENCES ONLY problems.

~HAMD

Although I think your idea is very well and would be cool to see in a game I have to say I wouldn't want to see it in VMK. It is basically the same idea of the old program, but added more to give the player "power" in the game. Your idea seems to be mainly centered more around Moderating when it should be centered around Helping.

Thank you for all your comments - and thank you for keeping them on topic. I did spend close to two hours creating these edits so it's good to see that some like it.

I am not sure how VMK could change the "helping" part. Helping is basically you do it or you don't do it. If you do what are you suppose to do you will: Answer questions, help on quests, showing around, etc. That is what the other program did - yet I know not all of the CL's did it. Maybe they could just enforce it?

No good. Players should not have power over other players.

Anything positive you could have posted? Like the edit at least? I did spend a lot of time on this.

Thanks,
slinkyman

sunnyskye
02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I like the idea, but not sure about the CLs returning. A lot of CLs would never use the system. A lot of them would just want the CL title. People could easily lie on the application. And I don't like the fact that they would be over us in power, close to a staff position. If you could figure out a way to limit their power, and make sure that people would actually use the system, then I'm all for it.

I really like your edits, but maybe limit their power a little. And maybe have a way for the staff to know that these people wouldn't be faking the application. That would be my suggestion :)

Whipstersh
02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It is a great idea. There is certainly a great amount of thought put into this.

I do think that if a Community Leader were to obtain any of those features freely, it would turn to misuse of the system. Perhaps a solution would be that every time a Community Leader uses any of those options (which should be used for the correct situation ONLY), the function used would be able to be viewed by staff and if misuse came into play, they could see who is using it. This may cause problems, such that it would take up much of a staff's time, but I feel this is the only way that you would go about this system and not be subject to abuse of itself.

Although I like this idea, I must also agree with some posts above. I personally think that the Community Leader System should be build around helping other players, not moderating them. We have paid staff to help moderate. Even if it gets tough for them and they take a bit getting to a problem, I don't think that VMK should be moderated by users who can't be guaranteed to be trustworthy - even if they pass a 50 question quiz.

flaxygirl
02-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Very good edit.

HaveAMagicalDay
02-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Although I think your idea is very well and would be cool to see in a game I have to say I wouldn't want to see it in VMK. It is basically the same idea of the old program, but added more to give the player "power" in the game. Your idea seems to be mainly centered more around Moderating when it should be centered around Helping.Agree :)

It is a great idea. There is certainly a great amount of thought put into this.

I do think that if a Community Leader were to obtain any of those features freely, it would turn to misuse of the system. Perhaps a solution would be that every time a Community Leader uses any of those options (which should be used for the correct situation ONLY), the function used would be able to be viewed by staff and if misuse came into play, they could see who is using it. This may cause problems, such that it would take up much of a staff's time, but I feel this is the only way that you would go about this system and not be subject to abuse of itself.

Although I like this idea, I must also agree with some posts above. I personally think that the Community Leader System should be build around helping other players, not moderating them. We have paid staff to help moderate. Even if it gets tough for them and they take a bit getting to a problem, I don't think that VMK should be moderated by users who can't be guaranteed to be trustworthy - even if they pass a 50 question quiz.Agree, a miss use of power :).

Thank you for all your comments - and thank you for keeping them on topic. I did spend close to two hours creating these edits so it's good to see that some like it.

I am not sure how VMK could change the "helping" part. Helping is basically you do it or you don't do it. If you do what are you suppose to do you will: Answer questions, help on quests, showing around, etc. That is what the other program did - yet I know not all of the CL's did it. Maybe they could just enforce it?

Thanks,
slinkyman

I put the main point in bold. They should enforce it, and find ways that would make it happen, like having staff members just for leader modering. I've posted before my ideas on this, and so far, seems like a pretty good way.

Like I said before, the list of staff is useful though :).

And congrats on the work though, very creative :).

~HAMD

sonic99979
02-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Great Idea!!!

Im the next CL!!! Cause I was always to lazy to sign up to be a cl... Ive only done it like five times but theve always been full! Im smart too!

Retri
02-02-2008, 12:10 AM
It's a great edit, looks very genuine, but I don't think the system would work out. It would most likely be abused by those who wouldn't take the position seriously and have a bad outcome. Sure, some people would do their job the expected way, but others wouldn't.

I think the warning idea is good, but not the mute/boot option.

MinniesDream
02-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Nice idea- and even better edits. Still using paint, Ink? ;)

However, if VMK did add this in game, I would be worried and concerned. When VMK makes mistakes, such as accidentally deleting/banning accounts, they never seem to fix it, so I don't see how it will ever work if players make the mistakes. I'm sure it would take a VERY long time to correct the mistake. I also cringe at the fact that other players would have control over others. It doesn't seem right.

Stemaboat_Tyler
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
I love this idea. It would be perfect incase any staff would want to take breaks :)

MinniesDream
02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I love this idea. It would be perfect incase any staff would want to take breaks :)

And let players control the game? I don't think so.

What ever happened to the saying, "CL_'s are players, too!" :vundecided:

EtnaGreen
02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Just to add to your good idea. I think that they should give the cl's limited power the first few weeks and have the staff watching them without them knowing. If they abuse their power or show off they take away their cl title and privlege. If they dont abuse it add a little power and so on. so the power doesn't go to their head and staff can make sure they are doing their job.

Kit
02-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Well thought out and developed. I argue that this is what VMK cast is looking for. Their major issue is the huge cost of staffing moderators for the game. Do you want more new items in game? New minigames? More promotions?

Then do your part to use positive peer pressure to improve VMK. When players are quick to remind new users of the rules on VMK (they just plain don't know in many cases). You don't need to be a CL to do this.

That said, this proposal is viable. Start with just 5. Moderation and meta-moderation are proven methods just waiting to be applied to the moderated MMO environment. Sure you'll hear the argument, "but thats too much power to ppl who aren't staff." There are plenty of examples where people who aren't staff are trusted with special responsibility. Look in your school: safety patrol and voluteer parents.

VMK needs proposals, so offer this as a place to start. Because if the VMK moderation problem isnt's solved soon, either it will stagnate or be swtiched to menu talk like toontown or webkinz. (imho)
-Kit

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Nice idea- and even better edits. Still using paint, Ink? ;)

However, if VMK did add this in game, I would be worried and concerned. When VMK makes mistakes, such as accidentally deleting/banning accounts, they never seem to fix it, so I don't see how it will ever work if players make the mistakes. I'm sure it would take a VERY long time to correct the mistake. I also cringe at the fact that other players would have control over others. It doesn't seem right.

No paint this time ;)

HAMD - If the button just brought up the "STAFF" tab and the rest of the leader program used your idea (the enforcing and other ideas) would you like that?

Thanks for the responses everyone! Just remember to keep the discusion about the edit/idea. :)

the_phoenix
02-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I think CL_s shouldn't be given such powers - remember the ones that abused players? I'm not saying that ALL of them were bad, but there are always bad apples...

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, I think CL_s shouldn't be given such powers - remember the ones that abused players? I'm not saying that ALL of them were bad, but there are always bad apples...

Also remember that they wouldn't be chosen for answering 10 questions. It would be more like a test - close to 50 in-depth questions. That might be make or break for a lot of people right there.

the_phoenix
02-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Also remember that they wouldn't be chosen for answering 10 questions. It would be more like a test - close to 50 in-depth questions. That might be make or break for a lot of people right there.

I personally think CL_s should exist at all. They're only players and understand what we want, yes. But did staff ever listen to them for suggestions? Of course not.

AwsomeAdrienne
02-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Great idea! But many people could lie on those 50 questions and then become the leader just because they want more power than most other players on vmk and/or to have CL_ before their name. And also, where the CL and CP buttons are located would be covered up if you select a vmk pass. (Unless of course if you move the vmk pass to a different place on the screen.)

:tink:AwsomeAdrienne:tink:

Neoteny
02-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Anything positive you could have posted? Like the edit at least? I did spend a lot of time on this.
Yes, it's a nice edit. But I thought the point of this thread was your idea for a Community Leader program, not a critique of your artwork.

TeddyYeti
02-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Well, they should have requirements.
CL_s should have been playing for 15 months, no warns or bans, good and active member, etc.

What about the members who've been playing good and active for 15 months, ban/warn free, who just want the CL_ prefix?

EtnaGreen
02-02-2008, 02:00 AM
hmm.. wouldn't it be a good idea that the people who were playing didn't know they were communtiy leaders. So they wont have any special treatment from the guests, they will just help the staff better.

Extras
02-02-2008, 02:07 AM

Thanks,
slinkyman

You aren't always going to get positive comments, and I agree with Neoteny, putting more power on players than other players will just make VMK worse than it is.

Wondermanforever
02-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Its a good idea, but i think you'd be giving them way too much power.

rocknraider
02-02-2008, 02:12 AM
I think this is a really great idea
Especially the part about contacting staff
And i think that for them to have those powers then they would definitely need some good questions...I can just see some abuse on that

But anyways great edits and great ideas ink :)

I'm sure you already have but you should send them in

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Yes, it's a nice edit. But I thought the point of this thread was your idea for a Community Leader program, not a critique of your artwork.
I do want this to be BOTH about my Artwork & The Idea. I wouldn't of spent two hours working on artwork for nothing.

Stemaboat_Tyler
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Wait. I have a quick question. Does that mean that maybe some CL's would just ban us?

rocknraider
02-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Wait. I have a quick question. Does that mean that maybe some CL's would just ban us?

No cl should have a way to ban someone
However they should be able to alert staff so they could do it
If its a good reason of course

BelieveInTink
02-02-2008, 02:28 AM
Very nice idea! VMK could really use that, isn't there a way you can send in suggestions?

The edit was great, very creative! Community Leaders would really be helping out the Staff, by telling players that what they are doing is wrong and should be stopped.

~Tink

Although... wouldn't players come up to the Community Leaders and say, "Um, excuse me, leader.. but can you ban that player or do something like mute them? They were being mean to me!"

I think that might happen, other wise it's a brilliant idea! The idea of Community Leaders being able to contact Staff is important - so in case there is a huge problem.

~Tink

TeddyYeti
02-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I think the power of a Community Leader is exaggerated in this edit.

Booting a player? Muting them for sixty seconds? Sending them Warnings? Basically what you've done is strip the Staff of their banning power and called them Community Leaders.

Kit
02-02-2008, 02:42 AM
What is your suggestion for what Guest Moderator should be able to do?

Or, what would a Guest Moderator need to be able to do (or be) for you to respect them?

-Kit

AwesomeTom
02-02-2008, 02:51 AM
First off, Slinkyman, this is an extremely valid and well thought out idea. I can see you put time and effort thinking about this and it shows. I applaud you for that. Now moving into the actual idea concept. The idea is actually very valid and makes lots of sense. I can understand where you are coming from, and I like the idea of staff constantly monitoring, making sure a community leader is not abusive of their power. One main point you made was very intriguing to me. That community leaders could not have staff on their lists. I believe that this will help eliminate the community leaders who only wish to have direct communication and be able to call a VMK Staff member their "friend".

The one thing that could be a tad over the top for the power amount is the boot option. I feel that any players, community leader or not, should only have the power to boot from a guest room of their own creation, and not a public guest room of VMK's creation, since it is not your own and you may not have the right to boot someone from it. The mute button is not horrible, but could be abused from a community leader who just wants to make someone they dislike seem to disappear.

I feel 50 questions may be a bit much. Maybe a solid 25 short answer questions with 1 essay question, or a multiple choice exam to test your knowledge of VMK, multiple short answers question, and an essay question. 50 just seems a little overwhelming.

If VMK could monitor each community leader individually a large amount of their active time on VMK, than this idea could be very valid.

As for the requirements many people have been posting about in previous posts, I think my favorite idea is the 15 months. VMK has been around a fair amount of time, which makes me feel the requirement for amount of time playing the game on one solid account should go up as VMK increases in length. I do feel the no ban should still be in effect, but everyone gets a warning every once and a while, you cannot stop that. I feel the "no warning" idea is a little much because everyone gets warnings, it's not escapable. I feel each player should have a knowledge of VMK both public and specific.

These are just suggestions and personal comments from me, and I apologize if I made any mistakes in judgement when I read the posts or your specific opening response.

Thank you :)

Kitri
02-02-2008, 03:11 AM
This is the ideal CL program.

Neoteny
02-02-2008, 03:32 AM
I do want this to be BOTH about my Artwork & The Idea. I wouldn't of spent two hours working on artwork for nothing.In that case: Artwork good, concept bad.

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 03:48 AM
In that case: Artwork good, concept bad.

Ok, thanks. :) lol

Mooshu
02-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Impressive!
That'd be quite useful! :)

CookyHalie
02-02-2008, 04:09 AM
That Idea is Awesome!!! I love it! I wouldn't be suprised if they chose it:D

Submit it definately

Wondermanforever
02-02-2008, 04:12 AM
I would personally decide not to use this in game. It gives too much power to regular people.

If they would happen to do this, then why even have staff? It's pointless.
This entire ' CL ' program should just be done with, never to return.

Neoteny
02-02-2008, 04:15 AM
I would personally decide not to use this in game. It gives too much power to regular people.

If they would happen to do this, then why even have staff? It's pointless.
This entire ' CL ' program should just be done with, never to return.
I agree: We're doing fine without it.

gigarichard
02-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Gosh slim idk how you make those fantastic edits. I really like the ideas, but I know that there will be those who abuse the power. Not really sure if we need the Leader program back... it's been 3 months? We seem to be fine. Would be nice to see this new 'program' VMK is doing.

TeddyYeti
02-02-2008, 05:07 AM
For all we know the new program could already be in effect; no more community leaders.

fantasyphillip
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
ok that ia a very great idea for CL

StitchRokcs
02-02-2008, 01:45 PM
great idea as always inkers

OstrichSam
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Awesome edits, but I have to agree with the people that are saying that this gives them too much power.
Aren't CLs meant for helping players, not the staff? I think that if your idea was tweaked here and there, giving less staff powers and more help powers, it would be good. Like adding a section where players can send in questions for a CL, and all CLs will have a list of those questions and be able to answer them, or something along those lines.

spacerightsummer
02-02-2008, 02:00 PM
I am sure Yavn is banging his head on a monthly basis on this subject, but it just does not seem from the way I see it the CL program is really that important. I have seen a lot of VMK staff out and about doing the job well. As far as players in the game we should all be willing to help out at any time in the game for a new player or even an old player that is unaware of something. slinkyman has a good idea but the power is an issue that no standard player should have control of. At this phase of vmk I say that the CL program is not really heavily needed, but might be more needed during summer. I am just in the mode to wait and see. good edits slinkyman :)

KMSakura
02-02-2008, 02:20 PM
It's an amazing edit, not to mention the idea too! I'm sure there was a lot of ideas, thoughts, and time put into all of this. Though I still think CL's shouldn't have that much power. They can have a little, maybe not even any at all. The point of CL's are showing that this person can help you with whatever you need, and you dont have to be afraid that this person is someone who's trying to scam you. Okay, I admit maybe they should have power, just not power like staff's. I envy your idea, but some things on here might need a little change. :)

~KM

KMSakura
02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
What staff power do they have? Make them not talk for 1 minute? Boot them from a guest room? They should make it so CL_s can mute for 1 minute only 5 times an hour.

I'm just saying, it's basically like a mini staff. The ideas are well thought out, but maybe not as much power. Maybe not even one minute mute. It's VMK who decides if they want this or not. If they like it then they do, if they dont, then they dont.

~KM

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
The boot might be a little extreme. The mute option is only used if a user is repeating bad words again and again. During the 60 seconds you can quickly either send a warning, boot, or report to an upper mod about this user.

OstrichSam
02-02-2008, 03:13 PM
The boot might be a little extreme. The mute option is only used if a user is repeating bad words again and again. During the 60 minutes you can quickly either send a warning, boot, or report to an upper mod about this user.

I agree that the boot is extreme. You never know, a person might become eager for power and decide to boot for no reason. Even though that could be taken care of by staff, who knows how often something like that would happen? Now I see what you mean by the mute, though. That seems like a much more limited and helpful power for CLs. Of course, there still is a chance that someone could decide to mute for no reason, but being muted for only 60 seconds is a lot less...severe than being booted in my opinion.

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I put minutes by accident - it was suppose to be seconds! I said the boot button might be extreme. I didn't say it was.

EtnaGreen
02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I am sure Yavn is banging his head on a monthly basis on this subject, but it just does not seem from the way I see it the CL program is really that important. I have seen a lot of VMK staff out and about doing the job well. As far as players in the game we should all be willing to help out at any time in the game for a new player or even an old player that is unaware of something. slinkyman has a good idea but the power is an issue that no standard player should have control of. At this phase of vmk I say that the CL program is not really heavily needed, but might be more needed during summer. I am just in the mode to wait and see. good edits slinkyman :)

Just for the record yavn didn't creat vmk and I am pretty sure he doesn't create anything. I am pretty sure all he does is through ideas around on the table. Yavn also said last fall that the next newsletter would have info on the new cl program, still haven't seen it. So please include the rest of the staff not just yavn.

I do have one warning if vmk does take your idea, THEY NEVER GIVE YOU CREDIT. I would know considering about 5 months before dreams month came out a sent vmk a very long message about the exact same idea including how they are doing the year of a million dreams at all the parks. when I got no credit let alone a pin, hat, room, or etc, I sent a letter to the black whole. Vmk only listens to you if you have a good idea and they steal it and give you absolutely no credit.

OstrichSam
02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I said the boot button might be extreme. I didn't say it was.

I don't see how that affects my opinion, but in that case, I think that the boot button is extreme.

slinkyman
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Just for the record yavn didn't creat vmk and I am pretty sure he doesn't create anything. I am pretty sure all he does is through ideas around on the table.

Yavn came up with the idea "VMK". Yavn and the team made VMK.

I don't see how that affects my opinion, but in that case, I think that the boot button is extreme.
That post wasn't to you, it was to mrgoopy.

alexwonderlandd
02-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I really like your idea, and I think it would be a lot more organized than the previous one we had.
I only think that went down the drain because some CL's became too into this rich and popular phase (it wasn't that many, there were some great CL's)
and they didn't have much ability with so many people in the Kingdom.

Once again, your idea is very nice!

EtnaGreen
02-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Yavn came up with the idea "VMK". Yavn and the team made VMK.

That post wasn't to you, it was to mrgoopy.

Stupid question, where does it say he came up with the idea "VMK"?

NRock
02-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I really have to admit, that this is a good idea!

There are 2 things that I wouldn't want to see though (in my opinion):
- Boot Button (let the staff and your room stick with the Boot Button)
- Users Out of Room (the present is better than the past)

Off Topic: Ever considered being on the VMK team in the future?

Chele
02-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Part of the problem of the previous program was a lack of clear training and goals. The day one leaders, were dropped into a role and told, Congrats, you're a leader and had to edge out a meaning for the title. Later leaders at least had previous leaders as role models.

Irregardless, no one ever said here is exaclty what you're supposed to be doing . . . . here are your limitation . . . here are things you can't do.

Any new program (if there is one) needs to have clear written guidelines established which outline the functions of the leader (or whatever the position is to be called).

Additionally, I would like to see a mentoring program. Eventurally, newer leaders can be paired with more experienced leaders so they can work in teams and bounce things off of each other. VMK could estiablish the teams so that friends aren't necessarily with friends and the co-leaders could do a self check on each other without fear.

Finally, no matter the outcome, each and every leader needs a more rigourous screening method and a stronger review process.

ForeverWDW
02-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Ink awesome edits

I do like the mute for 60 seconds, this could be a very helpfull tool. I for on have seen far too many kids get out of hand with their language. But to stop any abuse of this power I think that there should be a small sub button listing the reason why a player was muted (bad language, fighting, talking about outside sites, etc) that you would have to click on before that player was muted. A sub button would simplify it for staff to look into reasons why it was used. Any abuse of mute button would eliminate you from the program.

Also the "who is here and was here" player listing is a great idea! Many times CL's would get cornered and have to answer many questions. If they saw something out of line it would be nice if they could have a listing of that player to report.

Booting option? This could be misused more times then it would help. I think in extreme situations the mute button would be all that is needed until staff can handle it themselves.

The staff listing, while a great idea to have, you would end up running into the same old problems of " is staff on your list? ". Everyone would know you have a listing and the ability to send them messages. Also the few people who sneak into the program just to have a title would end up being able to message staff when ever and for what ever they liked. I think a priority report button would handle an emergancy situation quite nicely without having to list which staff are on or not. I do think any reports from CL's should be given in some way a higher priority over regular players. Maybe reports sent in should be a different color so staff realize whom the report is from. Another idea would be to eliminate the word filter from reports so messages could be easily written and understood.

Many great ideas you have there Ink. Good luck to you!

ACECpt.RICH
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Fantastic idea - I would love to see this put into the game. However, like mentioned previously, the only problem is the misuse of the moderation tools.

I do wish that this would be something that could make it into the game. If staff could find someway beside a test where they can truly pick people who would do the job well -- 100% all for it.

I myself would enjoy using these moderation buttons if I were a CL because the people might actually listen to you when you ask them nicely to stop. I mean, I honestly would only use them for the good of the game, however I can't speak for everyone else.

I do agree that there are staff paid to moderate VMK, but community leaders are around much more than staff (that we know of at least). To clarify, I mean people saw leaders more times than they saw moderators.

I do hope that VMK does bring back the leader program in a way that really will work, because the program itself can be very very beneficial if created the right way.

About the special outfit for leaders -- when I was in a room with yavn not too long ago, I actually brought this very idea up. He said he never thought about special costumes/hats/clothes etc. for leaders, and probably won't ever. Like Ink said, people often like to change their clothes especially when new things are out.

Again, I really wish that this idea could become a reality, but I'm not sure if some people could handle it. A litte repetitive - if staff can find a way to truly find people who could handle this, the idea would be flawless.

I really enjoy the staff feature for emergencies, that would stop the whole "Omg, leaders get staff on their lists" deal.

Fantastic edit as usual Ink, they always amaze me :) Time and effort are quite evident here! Definetely send it in just so VMK can get some ideas.

Yavn did say he hopes to have the program back early next year [this was in November before the New Year ;)]. And, QA_Berry said a lot of new cool stuff is coming out over the course of February.. can I say TCG and possibly the return of the infamous leader program? Maybe, maybe not, only time will tell.

Sorry for the novel - this edit just provoked a lot of thoughts ;)
Again, great work Ink.

HaveAMagicalDay
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
It's also adding more "power", as people have said above, which is more than likely one of the reasons they are "fixing" it, because SOME people abuse the CL_ name.

~HAMD

Wondermanforever
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
I still don't agree with this.
Your giving way to much power to the regular players.
Why would we even need staff then, huh?
Being able to boot someone is too extreme. You could have an issue with someone, and bam!, you boot them for no reason. Same with muting.

Sorry, but this idea has too many flaws