View Full Version : I think my account was hacked...

snowegoof
10-24-2007, 03:28 AM
When I logged on today, I was shocked to find that my favorite hat wasn't in my inventory! The last time I logged on was August, and then I was wearing my top hat, pirate shirt, cowboy pants, and gold shoes, as always. When I logged in, I was wearing my full pirate outfit, and my top hat was gone! Help!

Jezzi
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
First things first.. change your password!! I suppose you can try Contact Us and let them know too. Good luck!

Crazy.Maddie
10-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Ok well,i recommed to move accounts. That's what i would do, just trade everything over that is rare to a new account. [ [ using vmk pal ] ]
And then go to contact us and see if vmk staff will change your password. If so you can move back. If not i recommed to just stay on the new account. It's better than being scammid trust me!

dabaseballking
10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
dont move them!
just change your p/w i got scammed and i changed it then i was ok
youd lose friends

TravisSch
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
By the way, your account didn't get hacked. It most likely got cracked! Hacked is when a hacker changes VMK code to do something not allowed. Cracked, in this case, is when someone figures out your password and gets into your account.

Jezzi
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Ok well,i recommed to move accounts. That's what i would do, just trade everything over that is rare to a new account. [ [ using vmk pal ] ]
And then go to contact us and see if vmk staff will change your password. If so you can move back. If not i recommed to just stay on the new account. It's better than being scammid trust me!

Uh.. VMK Staff cannot change your password for you. Only YOU should know your password, so only YOU can change it. Don't bother moving accounts, just change your password. Somebody close to you has worked it out and played on your character. A hacker would have taken everything.

snowegoof
10-24-2007, 09:56 PM
But NOBODY knows my password besides my sister, but she is mature and trustworthy.

Destination
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I just got hacked onto on my other account too :( I had so much stuff on it. I hope you get your stuff back ;)

Whipstersh
10-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Let's not imply that you have been hacked, unless notified in VMK. If someone found out your password I would try changing it immediately it something else. Even though you stated in your post that your sister didn't take it, I would ask her to make doubly certain.

Some alternative solutions besides hacking:

Someone found out/was told your password (through either it being predictable or being told, hinted, etc.)
A sibling or friend decided to borrow your hat
You forgot something (such as you traded it or let a friend borrow it)

gigarichard
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I lost a lot of stuff too a few months ago. Told VMK about it and here is there response:

Thank you for sharing your concerns about your account. If you believe
that someone has accessed your account, consider the following
possibilities:

1 - did you share your password with a friend or anyone? did you use a
computer other than your own, perhaps at school, a library or friend's
house? If so, its possible the computer cached a cookie that enabled
someone to login to your VMK account. To prevent this, always clear the
cookies after using a foreign computer to login to VMK or any other site

2 - did you click on a link that offered VMK items, but required you to
provide your login information? These are scam sites; only enter your
VMK login information on the ONLY official site: www.vmk.com (http://www.vmk.com/)

3 - did someone send you a file? Its possible this file contained a
password sniffer or keylogger program. These malicious (bad) programs
gather your login and password information and send it to the author of the
program. Please consult your parents and/or a computer professional
for assistance in removing malicious software from your computer.

Sadly since all of the above require your active participation to work,
we will not be able to replace any items removed from your VMK
account.

As you can see, I never did get my stuff back because somehow it was my fault. Good luck getting your stuff back.

Destination
10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Are you serious?!!? I did all that hard work for nothing!!! Ugh!

LLamaLLamadddj
10-24-2007, 10:48 PM

When I logged on today, I was shocked to find that my favorite hat wasn't in my inventory! The last time I logged on was August, and then I was wearing my top hat, pirate shirt, cowboy pants, and gold shoes, as always. When I logged in, I was wearing my full pirate outfit, and my top hat was gone! Help!

Snow, this is odd. Id do what VMKrocks101 suggested. gl with the top hat!!
~ dddj ~