View Full Version : Holiday/Event Theme Updated?

HaveAMagicalDay
08-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Hey all, I noticed that some of the holiday/event theme is not updated. For example the Halloween Theme. It barely had any Halloween items in it, and not even the first set of Halloween Pins lol, or the room lol, or the magic lol. I was wondering if there was a reason for this, bc I put some more pictures of the items that would fit that theme. Found the pics of the furnish from the wiki, and put it in lol. Is this the same thing with the other themes? I've been working on another part of DOW that prisoner asked me to do, so I've been doing that for the last 2 and a half hours LOL. Any ideas?

~CL_HAMD

UpInTheAir
08-30-2007, 07:58 AM
The beauty of the wiki is that it is a team effort. While this requires a delicate balance of communication and cooperation, in an ideal setting we are able to work efficiently and effectivly thanks to the dedication of our editors. Often a fresh set of eyes will catch things others may have missed. When new items come out, there are a variety of places they need to be added. We house item information on a master checklist as well as place them under the correct furniture heading and on any appropriate holiday/event page. Often one or more of these areas can be neglected and hopefully another editor will be able to help out and catch these oversights.

The holiday/event theme sections were re-vamped a few months ago during the wee hours of the night and I'm sure they house a few omissions. During this time new themes were added and old themes were organized. In my mind I have always thought of this section as a guide for people who wanted to deck their guest room and character in a particular theme. Often these themes mirror the VMK theme of the month. When dividing items into themes a mental boundary needs to be forged. With a little tweaking here...and some excuses there...one could easily argue items into a category that may not be the most appropriate. The exact boundaries are something that the editors need to work together to determine. Personally, I'd like to see the themes stay rather rigid with a more precise and specific criteria for placing items into a particular theme. To me, the theme pages need to stay uncluttered and well defined in order to make them the most effective they can be. In this situation overlap between themes should be minimal with items going into the "best" theme area.

With regards to the Halloween theme, the page was originally strictly Halloween items. In my opinion, we technically do not need to put Haunted Mansion items on this page as the Haunted Mansion is a seperate entity with a theme page of its own. Honestly, it seems a little redundant. In terms of items missing...I think if we really wanted to, the Turn into Bat Magic Pin might fit with the page. With other items, it is still a question of where we as a editing team choose to draw our bounaries. For example, costumes are released at Halloween, but I don't think they should be added to the Halloween theme. Haunted Mansion items...spooky yes...but Halloween, I don't know. I tend to think Haunted Mansion items are best left as a theme of their own.

I'm glad you brought this topic up for discussion and I'm glad you're trying to help make the wiki the best it can be! I'm eager to hear the opinions of other editors so that maybe we can formulate a clear-cut guideline for our theme pages! :)

DarthMelissa
08-30-2007, 08:37 AM
I think that the Halloween items should be kept separate from Haunted Mansion. They are, in my mind, two completely different categories. Because at that rate, you would need to add Christmas items in as well since Disney has the Haunted Mansion decorated with Halloween/Christmas during the Holidays.

Is there a way that we could set up some sort of poll for just the Wiki editors to get their feelings on it? I'd be happy to be in charge of that.

HaveAMagicalDay
08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
The beauty of the wiki is that it is a team effort. While this requires a delicate balance of communication and cooperation, in an ideal setting we are able to work efficiently and effectivly thanks to the dedication of our editors. Often a fresh set of eyes will catch things others may have missed. When new items come out, there are a variety of places they need to be added. We house item information on a master checklist as well as place them under the correct furniture heading and on any appropriate holiday/event page. Often one or more of these areas can be neglected and hopefully another editor will be able to help out and catch these oversights.

The holiday/event theme sections were re-vamped a few months ago during the wee hours of the night and I'm sure they house a few omissions. During this time new themes were added and old themes were organized. In my mind I have always thought of this section as a guide for people who wanted to deck their guest room and character in a particular theme. Often these themes mirror the VMK theme of the month. When dividing items into themes a mental boundary needs to be forged. With a little tweaking here...and some excuses there...one could easily argue items into a category that may not be the most appropriate. The exact boundaries are something that the editors need to work together to determine. Personally, I'd like to see the themes stay rather rigid with a more precise and specific criteria for placing items into a particular theme. To me, the theme pages need to stay uncluttered and well defined in order to make them the most effective they can be. In this situation overlap between themes should be minimal with items going into the "best" theme area.

With regards to the Halloween theme, the page was originally strictly Halloween items. In my opinion, we technically do not need to put Haunted Mansion items on this page as the Haunted Mansion is a seperate entity with a theme page of its own. Honestly, it seems a little redundant. In terms of items missing...I think if we really wanted to, the Turn into Bat Magic Pin might fit with the page. With other items, it is still a question of where we as a editing team choose to draw our bounaries. For example, costumes are released at Halloween, but I don't think they should be added to the Halloween theme. Haunted Mansion items...spooky yes...but Halloween, I don't know. I tend to think Haunted Mansion items are best left as a theme of their own.

I'm glad you brought this topic up for discussion and I'm glad you're trying to help make the wiki the best it can be! I'm eager to hear the opinions of other editors so that maybe we can formulate a clear-cut guideline for our theme pages! :)a few points i was thinking of as well, and some i didn't think of :)

I think that the Halloween items should be kept separate from Haunted Mansion. They are, in my mind, two completely different categories. Because at that rate, you would need to add Christmas items in as well since Disney has the Haunted Mansion decorated with Halloween/Christmas during the Holidays.

Is there a way that we could set up some sort of poll for just the Wiki editors to get their feelings on it? I'd be happy to be in charge of that.great idea!!! that would be helping the wiki out and having the editors work as a team :)

~CL_HAMD

DarthMelissa
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
great idea!!! that would be helping the wiki out and having the editors work as a team :)

Yes, I think it would help the editors feel like more of a unit, lol. I'd feel more involved!

prisoner
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
I've added a link between the two pages so people know there is another "similar" theme that might help them with what they want. This keeps the two separate, but still lets people who are looking for generally "spooky" stuff find what they're looking for.

Is there a way that we could set up some sort of poll for just the Wiki editors to get their feelings on it? I'd be happy to be in charge of that.

The best way for editors to discuss a specific topic is to use the discussion page that is available from every page in the wiki. These are sometimes also called "talk" pages, since this is where we talk about the page itself. Only editors can edit these pages, so its a good place for editors to raise and discuss issues and get an idea how everyone thinks about something. (Setting up a poll would require a lot of extra work on the forum side at the moment.)