View Full Version : VMKf slowness and speed issues

Nick
06-29-2005, 01:39 AM
We are fully aware of the issues with the speed of the site at peak times.

This is because we have two VBulletin sites running around 100 users constantly, which is killing our current server of 2.0gig p4, 1.5gig ram.

Due to this we are looking into getting a dedicated server just for VMKf.

We are looking into a AMD64 3000+ with 1gig DDR ram for $149 per month (we are aware there are cheaper servers but from past experiences we need at least this speed). This will allow for VMKf to be separate from TTC.

We are hoping to fund this directly from people Subscribing to the special groups for their membership as well as random donations.

If there is any money left over to pay and we don't get the donations needed to support it every month, I am willing to pay the rest. So there is no pressure to donate, or anything.

I will keep a running total of donations on the site at all times.

Whar
06-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Is it actually slow? I haven't actually realized that it was. Everything seems to be fine with the site on my computer...

Nick
06-29-2005, 03:39 AM
at certain times.

DBFan
06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
I have never noticed this site being slow. But the VMK site is getting much slower.

dizneydesi
06-29-2005, 06:54 AM
thanks, Nick, for the explanation on subscriptions. that had me a little baffled. i think it is totally worth it to subscribe as this forum rocks!

Nick
06-29-2005, 07:50 AM
It's basically the same setup at toontowncentral.com :)

dizneydesi
06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
i just happen to like this one better. :D

Nick
06-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Fixed...............

Tubbeh
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I can understand needing money to fund the site but having to pay to have a sig is bit iffy, all it is an image/small piece of text or a mixture of both it's hardly worth paying for, especialy when the length of the subscription is so long and most users will probably have moved on to better things during their subscription.

captain_dl
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
I can understand needing money to fund the site but having to pay to have a sig is bit iffy, all it is an image/small piece of text or a mixture of both it's hardly worth paying for, especialy when the length of the subscription is so long and most users will probably have moved on to better things during their subscription.Graphic sig files add extra bandwidth usage to a site. Everytime a post with a picture in the sig is displayed, the vboard system has to go out to the web and download it to display it. Paying for a sig subscription helps offset the cost of the sites bandwidth usage. I think it is completely fair. And if I like a site enough to pay a subscription fee, you better believe I am going to hang around long enough to use the subscription I paid for.
Thanks for the great site .. I will be donating again in a few weeks! :mickey2:

toonysean
08-24-2005, 01:23 PM
just want to say, my usaul browser used to let vmk on but it just goes blank now so i have to use a different browser. why?

Tubbeh
08-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Graphic sig files add extra bandwidth usage to a site. Everytime a post with a picture in the sig is displayed, the vboard system has to go out to the web and download it to display it. Paying for a sig subscription helps offset the cost of the sites bandwidth usage. I think it is completely fair. And if I like a site enough to pay a subscription fee, you better believe I am going to hang around long enough to use the subscription I paid for.
Thanks for the great site .. I will be donating again in a few weeks! :mickey2:

All they have to do is disable html, vb code etc in sig's then it will stop people using images... make people pay to use an image rather than pay to display a simple piece of text such as a 'wish list'