View Full Version : Changed Rule Regarding Bumping Threads

SpinMarty
09-24-2005, 05:15 AM
After a discussion amongst the forum moderators there has been a change in the rules regarding bumping of threads. The rule now reads (bold words reflect the change):

"Spamming" - is not allowed in any form. The repeated posting of the same topic across multiple forums, or even within the same forum qualifies as “Spam”. This also includes posting simply for the sake of increasing your post count, bumping your thread more that once per day, posting “I like Pie” 1000 times, and one or two letter replies (i.e. ok, LOL, Yes, agreed, nods).

With forum membership now over 4100, threads tend to get lost faster. This new change allows the maker to bump their thread forward if: there is new information, or if the thread is still relevant. This is especially helpful in the Trading Post where members have started using one thread for all their trades rather than starting multiple threads (causing more clutter). It is also useful for Mini Game and Guest Room threads where players can update scores, rules, etc.

This change is not meant to be an abuse of double posting (where a simple edit is in order), posting to increase your count, or for dragging old threads back to life.

Thank you for your cooperation. We hope this will help continue to make the forums a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

~ VMK Forums Moderating Staff

Haydenfan
09-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Yeah! i didn't like or get those posts were it said bump i just didn't know what it meant

prisoner
09-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I'd like to thank the moderators for this change, finding a good compromise for a tricky problem. I implore people to not abuse this.

BnyKty
09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Yay! Thanks so much for the change!

gilligantrips
09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for keeping us and others happy, Mods. :) :wave2:

Adventurebry
09-24-2005, 12:21 PM
ahh good thank you for this new rule

so wait i can bump my own threads now even if it makes it a double post?Well as you said "once a day"

Pebble
09-24-2005, 01:20 PM
"Omg, I like Pie!"

Rofl, anyway I'd also like to know if we could bump our boards once a day like if we come on and our boards are on page five, could we bump it once with an appropiate message? Not like "Bump bump BUMP" heh. Or do we have to create a whole new board?

SpinMarty
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Rofl, anyway I'd also like to know if we could bump our boards once a day like if we come on and our boards are on page five, could we bump it once with an appropiate message? Not like "Bump bump BUMP" heh. Or do we have to create a whole new board?

That is the point, to allow you to bump your post forward again without having to create an entirely new thread. It will spare some clutter.

Also, since merely editing your thread won't move it forward, that is another reason we allowed bumping once per day which would create a double post, but a purposeful double post.

Again, this is not liberty to abuse double posting - the edit button still works for most cases.

SM

AceLollipop
09-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I like pie.

and its a good idea

Jackalope
09-24-2005, 02:00 PM
THANK YOU! This helps a lot. I really disliked when i made a new thread, and an old one was bumped up after mine which was either a month old, or in a trading case, the item was already traded!

Thanks again
:hug: Fox

Silly Princess
11-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I've noticed alot of people bumping after an hour or so of their original post...that's not what the rule was made for.

By "bumping more than once per day" we mean a bump is permitted THE NEXT DAY, and then one each day after that if needed. If people are posting to the thread, there's no need for a bump at all...that's only if the thread is getting buried and you need to bring it up again.

Any bumps made without waiting 24 hrs will be considered spam and deleted.

PowerPunch
11-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Oops! Sorry Silly! You can get rid of my daily bump in my topic.

SweepHunter
11-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Sorry I just bump when I get on that one time and did not think about the 24 hours. I guess I will have to do it every other day then.

Wendot
11-13-2005, 03:45 AM
I've noticed alot of people bumping after an hour or so of their original post...that's not what the rule was made for.

By "bumping more than once per day" we mean a bump is permitted THE NEXT DAY, and then one each day after that if needed. If people are posting to the thread, there's no need for a bump at all...that's only if the thread is getting buried and you need to bring it up again.

Any bumps made without waiting 24 hrs will be considered spam and deleted.

Could you add all this bumping information to the Etiquette post in the Trading forum? So it's right up at top in bold.

Also, to anyone else who feels the urge to bump - if you use a little strategy, you won't always need it.

I've been maintaining a long trading thread for a while now and instead of instantly responding to the replies on my thread, I often give it more time and let go down the front page or off the front page before responding to acquire more replies. If that makes sense, you can maximize your front page viewing time. Sometimes, the thread hasn't even been up for that long - it's just so many people keep creating NEW threads that makes it harder for yours to be seen. You'd be surprise, if you're patient, how many replies you could get before getting bump happy.

Basically, I'm saying, use your own replies wisely and timely and it could become a free bump for you disguised as a legitimate response/update/answer/anything.

Also, does this bumping apply to friends bumping for friends? I've been seeing a lot of that and it seems if someone has alloted their daily bump, that someone else shouldn't create a "bump" post in that same day with nothing else to say.

witchesrock
11-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks, mods! :) This really helps!!!!

PrincessWall
11-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I just wish i could...make double posting dissapear! like, the fan site could clear up double posts, or we could have unlimited spaces...

prisoner
11-21-2005, 01:32 PM
I notice Batleth has posted a reminder (http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23598) about what the forum rules are. Looking over the rules again, however, I don't see any indication of this bump policy, just the general statement that "posting to bump a thread to the top for no logicial or beneficial reason" is not allowed.

I thought that the rules, and not just the post in this thread, specifically allowed the single daily bump. Am I misremembering? Has the rule been revoked?

Batleth
11-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I notice Batleth has posted a reminder (http://www.vmkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23598) about what the forum rules are. Looking over the rules again, however, I don't see any indication of this bump policy, just the general statement that "posting to bump a thread to the top for no logicial or beneficial reason" is not allowed.

I thought that the rules, and not just the post in this thread, specifically allowed the single daily bump. Am I misremembering? Has the rule been revoked?
The policy guidelines have been updated for both TTC and VMKF. We wanted to make a uniform updating for both sites for all the clarifications on policies, newer policies, and amendments to them. The VMKF mod staff are already looking to include VMKF only rules and making said changes. We just want to discuss a few more issues before those are included so we get the wording correct to include any present and future issues. House rules on bumping still apply, that's why I left this thread stickied here. You'll be seeing VMKF only rules being added to the policy guidelines soon.

On a side note, I unstickied any thread on policies that were taken care of in the update to our policy changes.

prisoner
11-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Great. Thank you for the reminder and clarification, Batleth.

Schmoofy
11-24-2005, 01:01 AM
A BUMP to the bump thread,many many people have been bumping threads in less than 24 hours today. I found it great to add the link to this thread in my sig as well.

nikkiluvsmickey
11-25-2005, 02:42 AM
LoL :lol:

ddue
11-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Uh i know this a real stupid question but..
how do you start your own thread?

jamielan
01-18-2006, 05:51 AM
Uh i know this a real stupid question but..
how do you start your own thread?

Off topic:choose a forum category then at the top left corner it says new thread.

On topic: I agree, people spam to much

Oranges
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
This thread is rather old. That rule COULD HAVE changed between then and now.

GBShorts
01-18-2006, 01:02 PM
This thread is rather old. That rule COULD HAVE changed between then and now.

Maybe so but it hasn't aside from the sidenote that it must be 24 hours between your bump.

No posting at 11pm and then again at 12:01 and saying "daily bump!!"

Please. Nobody has had time to read your post! Our rule is that you must wait 24 hours. Post at noon, and you can bump at noon the next day. :)

Otherwise, it will most likely be deleted and you'll be back where you started allllll over again. That's not what you want, is it? :)

AngienLuLu
01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Thank you so much mod team! This really increases the organization on the forums!

ASuperStitch
03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
I am new to this and wonder just what "bump" is.

I read the info on it and still do not quite understand.

Why do so many ppl just reply with the word bump?

Jolber
03-30-2006, 01:43 PM
people do that so their threads come up in the on the top, lol sort of they want to tee their threads

they bump if nobody reply in a day

RedRockingMint
03-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Every 24 hours when a thread gets no replys you can bump it witch brings it up for more people to see it, and please dont bump every 2 minutes it spams up just because you can bump ever 24hrs does not mean you can double post.

ASuperStitch
03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
ty but it does seem strange that ppl other than the person posting would type a reply that just says bump

GBShorts
03-31-2006, 01:16 AM
ty but it does seem strange that ppl other than the person posting would type a reply that just says bump

That's why if you aren't the original poster of the thread, it's spam and we delete it. :)

Chaelle
06-16-2006, 07:30 PM
That's why if you aren't the original poster of the thread, it's spam and we delete it. :)
Okay... so my friend jungle was making a thread for her room and I was helping her with the bumps, am I spamming?
~Chaelle

Annaso
06-16-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm guessing yes.

GBShorts
08-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Okay... so my friend jungle was making a thread for her room and I was helping her with the bumps, am I spamming?
~Chaelle
Yep. Only the original poster may bump a thread.