View Full Version : Video Driver Problem

Qui-gon
04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
I've posted this problem before and it's not fixed yet but I want to see if someone can help me out... I've been having this problem for a long time now and here's what happens:

I'll be surfing the Internet or even playing VMK and all of a sudden the screen will go black - that's it. There's absolutely nothing you can do but re-start the whole computer. You can't press CTRL+ALT+Delete, it won't work. Okay, so ten minutes later you're back on again but after another thirty minutes or so, it'll do it again! You see, it comes in spurts, the computer will be fine for months but then all of a sudden it'll come and will be like that for days. Anyway, one time it got down to the point where you couldn't even be on for five minutes without it going blank. It's really odd and frustrating. If you have the sound on, you'll hear it keep going for a few seconds then just stop. Oh, another thing. I have a flat screen and there's this little off button and when it's on, it's green and when it's on Stand By or something, it's orange. There's some buttons below the screen and when you press them (when it's messed up) the screen will say "In Power Save Mode. Press any key or move mouse." So I do that and nothing happens.

I don't think it's a virus or anything because I've run Ad-Aware and my virus scan.

I've tried calling Dell but they didn't help. I reported it to Microsoft with that error report thing and it says it's my Video Driver and that Dell currently doesn't have a solution for it (thanks a lot). It links me to Microsoft updates (there are none that will help) and Dell updates. Now, after I enter all my computer info there is a long list of things I can download. But I don't know which one will help. And it's coming on again, it started yesterday and is continuing today.

Have any ideas?

~Q/S

PaperClip
04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Try to update the driver, or get another video card. I think it actually might be something internal, that a virus scan or something isn't detected. Most likely a hardware/firmware problem.

Qui-gon
04-19-2007, 07:59 PM
That's the thing, I don't know which update is the update that will stop this... Here's what I get:

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1885/untitledjf9.png

Those are the updates and there are 60 of them.

~Q/S

PaperClip
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I think you should get all of them. To keep your computer up to date.

Thark
04-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey, could you post the specifications of the video card and drivers for us? We could help a lot more if we know what we are looking for.

To do so:

1. Right Click "My Computer"
2. Click Properties
3. Hardware Tab
4. Click Device Manager
5. Display Adapter is the one you want to expand
6. Right click the item, for example mine is "NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS"
7. Once you right click, click properties
8. Driver Tab
9. List some of the driver info, for example the version.

Need:

Type and model of Graphics, i.e. What type of graphics card or if it is built in graphics.

PaperClip
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Good idea. LOL, I can't believe I didn't think of that.

DisneyRoxy
04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow you guys know alot about computers! (computer nerds *chuckle* jk jk) Anyway I just go what they say, maybe your screen may be tired and doesn't want to listen to you :P

We treat computer like slaves u no!

Qui-gon
04-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey, could you post the specifications of the video card and drivers for us? We could help a lot more if we know what we are looking for.

To do so:

1. Right Click "My Computer"
2. Click Properties
3. Hardware Tab
4. Click Device Manager
5. Display Adapter is the one you want to expand
6. Right click the item, for example mine is "NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS"
7. Once you right click, click properties
8. Driver Tab
9. List some of the driver info, for example the version.

Need:

Type and model of Graphics, i.e. What type of graphics card or if it is built in graphics.Lol, yeah, that would probably help. Anyway, it's a Radeon X300 Series. Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. Also, I pressed a tab saying "Update Driver" but it said it couldn't find any more updates to install. And under status it says:

"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

Troubleshooter didn't help that much. But it might have something to do with my BIOS.

~Q/S